UC Berkeley orders cancellation of Ann Coulter speech

by freemindfade 115 Replies latest social current

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

“I don’t agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” ~ Evelyn Beatrice Hall, (NOT Voltaire)

Sad day that a "respected" university makes such a decision.

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

Yes, unfortunately, diversity of belief and opinion is being slowly but surely dismantled. I am no Ann Coulter fan, myself; I disagree with many, if not most, of her main ideas, but to cancel a speech because supposedly violence cannot be controlled sounds like fascism to me. It is for this reason, as well, that I am in disagreement with JWs ban in Russia. When diverse voices are silenced because they differ from the mainstream, you can expect that a free press will be next. Free speech, freedom of association and freedom of religion aren't to protect what the majority happen to say/do/believe but the groups with whom we disagree.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

Good - freedom of speech is over- rated

• kpop
    kpop

And to think that Berkley was the home to the 1969 "Free Speech" revolution! HA! How things have changed. These "antifa" turds ARE the real fascists and they can't even see it. But what is interesting, is /pol/ has found not only Eric "the bike lock" attacker is a professor at another school(!) but he has a profile on OK Cupid that says he literally wants to bring about anarchy and chaos to destroy "capitalism" It's insanity. Also George Soros is funding antifa around the world. Lot's more about to come out on his actions...

• cofty
    cofty
    Good - freedom of speech is over-rated [sic] - Ruby

Would you care to elaborate Ruby?

University students should be exposed to all sorts of shocking and controversial opinions. They need to learn that the world does not need to conform to their regressive liberal, SJW worldview. If they can't face up to ideas that they dislike and refute them peacefully with words and rational argument then they are wasting their time and their parent's money on a so-called education.

They should be welcoming Ann Coulter and Milo Yiannopoulos and every other rabble-rouser they can find. Expose your precious values to every possible intellectual assault and see if they are worth anything.

There should be no "safe-spaces" in university. We are witnessing a generation of cosseted snowflakes who expect authority-figures to ban and condemn everything they dislike. They are quite literally useless.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

There should be no "safe-spaces" in university. We are witnessing a generation of cosseted snowflakes who expect authority-figures to ban and condemn everything they dislike. They are quite literally useless - this point right here.

It's almost as if today's students want uni to be 'home' for them.

Well, it's not, and is never intended to be such.

It's a place of learning, where all ideas are tested and challenged, with an emphasis on freedom of speech.

Students are also expected to get along with people they don't necessarily like, because that's what adults have to do in the real world.

The restriction on freedom of speech is incitement to riot and violence - if Ann Coulter isn't inciting her supporters to riot and violence, she should really be allowed to speak ...

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    They should be welcoming Ann Coulter and Milo Yiannopoulos and every other rabble-rouser they can find. Expose your precious values to every possible intellectual assault and see if they are worth anything.

Yep, you don't sterilize bad ideas by censoring them or pushing them into the shadows. If something is bad let it into the light.

There should be no "safe-spaces" in university. We are witnessing a generation of cosseted snowflakes who expect authority-figures to ban and condemn everything they dislike. They are quite literally useless.

Amen!

• Simon
    Simon
    they are wasting their time and their parent's money on a so-called education.

Too right!

They are probably all doing gender studies and in a few years will complain that they are unemployed "for some unknown reason".

The university education system is a protectionist pyramid scheme and a racket that needs nuking and rebuilding.

It is not producing rounded, well-balanced, educated and productive citizens for the future, it's producing anarchists and SJWs and costing a fortune. This is what happens when government subsidize things but instead of being well spent, it ends up going in the pockets of the wrong people pushing crazy agendas and politics:

• ctrwtf
    ctrwtf

You don't have to attend University to know that Anne Coulter is an asshat.

• snowbird
    snowbird

True that.

But, let her put it on display for all to see.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit