I conclude evolution is guided

by KateWild 532 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Caedes
    Caedes
    caedes I'm not asserting any kind of creator or God or spiritual being although I can see why you may infer that from that post. What i am saying is that there is huge scope for creativity in evolution when we bring time and chance and imagination into the equation.

I didn't say you were asserting that?!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    KateWild - "...Simon's cult..."

I wonder what the rituals and sacraments are...

• Caedes
    Caedes
    I wonder what the rituals and sacraments are...

You only get to find that out once you are inducted...

• OrphanCrow
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Caedes - "You only get to find that out once you are inducted..."

Betcha they involve beer, pizza, and Hockey Night in Canada...

• KateWild
    KateWild

Cofty,

Why can't I convert to Atheism in the future? Simon said there was a federation. I want to join if there is new evidence refuting my opinions.

Is your sect of Atheism different to Simons?

You're not in charge anyway, if an atheist like Angus wants to convert me, what can you do about it? Will you disfellowship him?

• Simon
    Simon

Kate, I think it's time we stick a fork in it.

• Island Man
    Island Man
    Kate, I think it's time we stick a fork in it.

I already just did Simon. It's still a bit hard. I say the baby should be well done in about another 20 minutes ... wait why would you be telling Kate to ... Kate isn't one of us and she wouldn't know about the you-know-what cooking in the oven ... oh, you weren't talking about that baby ... pig ... the baby pig - the piglet that we're roasting in the oven - I mean, who would be roasting an actual baby, right?

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Viv's law of nothingness. Seriously Viv believing that one is a great physicist is a common effect of Schizophrenia or at least delusions of grandeur

What ridiculous BS are trying to sell? If you've a claim to make, sack up and say it, don't dance around it.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

katie, think about phase-transition in chemistry (courtesy of Prigogine the nobel prize winner in chemistry 1977 who did think it important to translate chemisty to lay peeps)

Caedes - an emphais on facts can be as unfactual as non facts sometimes and peeps who like to tell other people they are talking nonsense are pretty much often talking nonsense themselves

from wiki re Prigogine

The End of Certainty[edit]

In his 1996 book, La Fin des certitudes, co-authored by Isabelle Stengers and published in English in 1997 as The End of Certainty: time, chaos, and the new laws of nature, Prigogine contends that determinism is no longer a viable scientific belief. "The more we know about our universe, the more difficult it becomes to believe in determinism." This is a major departure from the approach of Newton, Einstein and Schrödinger, all of whom expressed their theories in terms of deterministic equations. According to Prigogine, determinism loses its explanatory power in the face of irreversibility and instability.

Prigogine traces the dispute over determinism back to Darwin, whose attempt to explain individual variability according to evolving populations inspired Ludwig Boltzmann to explain the behavior of gases in terms of populations of particles rather than individual particles.[21] This led to the field of statistical mechanics and the realization that gases undergo irreversible processes. In deterministic physics, all processes are time-reversible, meaning that they can proceed backward as well as forward through time. As Prigogine explains, determinism is fundamentally a denial of the arrow of time. With no arrow of time, there is no longer a privileged moment known as the "present," which follows a determined "past" and precedes an undetermined "future." All of time is simply given, with the future as determined or undetermined as the past. With irreversibility, the arrow of time is reintroduced to physics. Prigogine notes numerous examples of irreversibility, including diffusion, radioactive decay, solar radiation, weather and the emergence and evolution of life. Like weather systems, organisms are unstable systems existing far from thermodynamic equilibrium. Instability resists standard deterministic explanation. Instead, due to sensitivity to initial conditions, unstable systems can only be explained statistically, that is, in terms of probability.

Prigogine asserts that Newtonian physics has now been "extended" three times,[citation needed] first with the use of the wave function in quantum mechanics, then with the introduction of spacetime in general relativity and finally with the recognition of indeterminism in the study of unstable systems.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit