I conclude evolution is guided

by KateWild 532 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic
    you're too narrow minded

Wow, Kate, make things personal much?

Didn't you just make an entire thread where you cried because Crofty, on this specific topic, said you were being intellectually lazy - and now you're responding with a blanket statement saying he is narrow minded?

There's a difference between saying, "Crofty you're being stupid about X, Y, or Z" vs saying, "Crofty you are just stupid". Do you think these kind of blanket statements are going to be persuasive to him? Or informative to anyone else who's reading?

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

"I do like to correct wrong chemistry though and twisting of chemistry facts"

How? By repeating what you have already written? By calling people names or accusing them of ulterior motives?

I, at the start of this thread, posted in very simple terms what chemistry is i.e. an explanation of energy exchange between molecules. You answered this by writing that what I wrote was not how chemistry works but left it at that; in other words you corrected nothing,

Perhaps if you were to start behaving in the manner that you like to assert you behave then you would find people are more friendly towards you and those dislikes will reduce in number.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Coded logic, whatshallicallmyself

You make a good point. Sorry about that xx

• cofty
    cofty
    That's because you're too narrow minded to consider the imbalance of enantionmers racemic mixtures where autocatalysis doesn't occur. - Kate

Throughout this thread and all my evolution threads I explain challenging scientific concepts in ways that my granny could understand.

You have done the exact opposite. You think this allows you get away with writing nonsense. It doesn't.

Apart from spelling enantiomers wrongly the sentence I quoted makes no sense. Even if I take the most likely meaning of your word salad it has nothing at all to do with the debate.

I suspect you don't grasp autocatalysis. In your OP you said, "Autocatalysis means that the reaction is being guided automatically." It is difficult to imagine a less accurate definition of autocatalysis. Coming from somebody with a background in chemistry it is bizarre.

Here is my challenge - Rewrite the underlined portion of the sentence I quoted above in very simple language and explain how it refutes my explanation of the significance of Kenso Soai's experiment.

I predict you will refuse the challenge, respond with more insults and then claim you are being bullied.

• cofty
    cofty
    Soai ..didn't write the paper to solve the puzzle of homochirality. Go back and ... quote directly what he states the reason for the research. - Kate

OK...

Asymmetric Autocatalysis and Amplification of Enantiomeric Excess of a Chiral Molecule.

KENSO SOAI, TAKANORI SHIBATA, HIROSHI MORIOKA & KAORI CHOJI (Nature 28th December 1995)

Abstract
    THE homochirality of natural amino acids and sugars remains a puzzle for theories of the chemical origin of life. In 1953 Frank proposed a reaction scheme by which a combination of autocatalysis and inhibition in a system of replicating chiral molecules can allow small random fluctuations in an initially racemic mixture to tip the balance to yield almost exclusively one enantiomer. Here we show experimentally that autocatalysis in a chemical reaction can indeed enhance a small initial enantiomeric excess of a chiral molecule.

Let me summarise that abstract in simple terms...

"It is puzzling that amino acids can be left-handed or right-handed but in living things they are all of one sort. This is a challenge to developing a theory for the origin of life. Back in 1953 F.C. Frank suggested a possible answer. His idea was that a small difference between left and right types will occur naturally. The formation of amino acids is an autocatalytic reaction. Therefore Frank proposed that this would amplify the difference until the mixture is almost all of one sort. This paper describes how we have demonstrated by an experiment in the lab that Frank was correct."

Contrary to your repeated assertion, Soai did set out solve the puzzle of homochirality, specifically in the context of the origin of life. He succeeded. The homochirality of amino acids in living things is no longer a mystery.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Cofty,

Thank you for your posts. Much better you're not shitting all over the chess board now. You're asking me how to play chess.

After work I will explain what I mean by racemic mixtures have an imbalance of enantiomers and autocatalysis does not occur.

Thank you for your direct quote from Soai's paper. When I read the multiple links you've put up this abstract wasn't in any of them. Can you provide the link so I can check the credibility myself please. I appreciate you going back and getting it. I have also researched his paper myself using Google and I have never seen this abstract.

It's also confusing that you claim to understand the abstract but not my word salad. I use the same terms. I will explain though.

Off to work now

• cofty
    cofty

Kate said - "Soai ..didn't write the paper to solve the puzzle of homochirality."

Kenso Soai said - "THE homochirality of natural amino acids and sugars remains a puzzle for theories of the chemical origin of life... "

The link to the abstract is here...

• cofty
    cofty
    Much better you're not shitting all over the chess board now. You're asking me how to play chess. - Kate

Is there any need to behave like that? I'm not asking you for any information apart from an explanation of your own errors.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

I found the abstract here as the top response in Google after searching for the author and paper title

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v378/n6559/abs/378767a0.html

• OzGirl
    OzGirl

I usually go to the financial and legal threads first when I read here. This thread caught my eye, so I've been following it for a while. I wanted to see what arguments would be used, on both sides.

I'd follow it more easily if the thread flowed a bit better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit