Fifty years ago today: One quote to demolish the Watchtower

by JeffT 60 Replies latest jw friends

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

I went into a deep depression when I first read that article, having been baptized for some 14 years. I knew it was wrong for WT to run ahead with prophetic stuff like that. A kind elder came to visit me trying to console me. That humans were writing the Watchtower. That I needed to wait on Jehovah.

And I resumed in believing that crap for another 8 years.

• tiki
    tiki

I remember that advice well....and it ruined years of my young adulthood. It was pioneer or suffer a horrific death in the imminent maelstrom. Duped...unforgivable the lives that ridiculous religion wrecked. We are fortunate to have left it.

• LV101
    LV101

We need an anonymous mailing addy and fire this off to every known witness -- as SBF indicates it would be a waste of life and doubtful cathartic for x-JWs.

Poor JWs have to keep lying to themselves - if they look in the mirror to see/accept reality they'd go into psychotic overdose.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

And most of us ate it up like candy! It was so awesome to KNOW that we who were part of "this generation", would not grow old! It was a fact that we needed to face! I was 22, married and pioneering when this shit was published! Today I'm 72, not old according to this Awake article, still married to the same woman, and contently a faded, inactive jw!

I just love bringing this article out when my wife and my 'elder' fleshly brothers start trying to guilt me into reactivating my self back into the organization!

just saying!

• rockemsockem
    rockemsockem

It amazes me how many [all] predictions the borg has put out that have never come to be and the rank and file still follow. I asked an elder who I was friends with once what it would take for him to say this is not the truth and leave. He said the org would have to change a core belief. Well they have but the R&F just turn a blind eye. Maybe with the advent of the internet and social media it will stop new ones from joining.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    LV101 - Poor JWs have to keep lying to themselves

Exactly!

• truthlover123
    truthlover123

For years, they said they were prophets… that has diminished however, it has been replaced by Jehovah directed them! The GB, who had not come into prominence in early their years, with a small gb.. has set themselves up as being the only ones to receive this special inspiration. ( Yet Jackson, at the ARC said that it would be presumptuous to think they are the only ones). Unfortunately, to even hint this is not the case AND can get you disfellowshipped, let alone mention the many changes over the years and using the "new Light" "what was one a shadow is now clarity" garbagy gook talk.

Well, the proof is in the puddin, as they say... what exactly has come true? IF a prophet speaks in God's name and it does not come true... he is NOT a prophet of God. They have taken this position and as Mene, Mene, Tekell, Parsin translates, the GB has been found wanting.... weighed in the balance...

• Bill Covert
    Bill Covert

Was there, read that. Followed the advise to learn a trade [truck mechanic] . Worked out great, self employed, make good money. Pay $36,000 annual alimony to ex wife who deemed her husband to be a threat to her spirituality. Pay $9,000 annual child support for #5 son who had life destroyed because his father was a apostate. I got I think 10 grandchildren although I don't know their names. Ex wife and sons have therapist's.

1969 a magical year, lot of energy due to build up for 1975. Extensive pioneering, due to the draft. I just received my conviction for not taking community service in lieu of military induction.

Yes I remember that exact article.

• Giordano
    Giordano
    There are JWs I would like to share it with but not worth the hassle.

Me too.........that's cause I'd have to dig to many of them up.

• jp1692
    jp1692

In 2002 or early 2003, my ex-wife told me about that article. At first I didn't believe her. I thought she must be mistaken. (I should add that I was a congregation elder and had been for about a dozen years.)

But I looked into it and found that she was right of course. That was the beginning of the end for me, the first domino to fall in what would eventually become the total loss of my faith in the religion of JWs.

It also led to the break-up of our marriage as I investigated more about the history of our religion and learned the truth about "The Truth."

My ex, who was raised as a JW, read this article when she was 10 years old. She just turned 60.

Let's review: It's a cult!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit