Fifty years ago today: One quote to demolish the Watchtower

by JeffT 60 Replies latest jw friends

• JeffT
    JeffT

As pointed out above, speculation about the future wouldn't be so terrible if they kept it to speculation. But people read this (and with the encouragement of the WTBS) make life altering decisions based on it.

Smiddy, I don't expect to see the Watchtower go away anytime soon. They some how manage to pull a new rabbit out of their hat everytime the old one dies.

• Rodney1945
    Rodney1945

Matthew 24: 42“Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. 43But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. 44So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him. NIV

• blondie
    blondie

Rodney1945, good scripture, but I used that pre-1975 and was told that now the WTS knows.

The jws I told would not see it as applying to the situation, a perfect case of cognitive dissonance.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I remember this quote. At the time I was 12 years old. This should be abhorrent to anyone. However, the Watchtower can simply say "fake news." So, I don't see how this is the great take down of the Wt.

• Steve4nLanguage
    Steve4nLanguage

I haven't visited this site in several years. For whatever reason, I decided to check it out again today, and the first post I saw was this one. I can't believe it's been 50 years; I was six years old when that article came out and had been raised in "The Truth."

I can remember: The fear I felt in grammar school that Armageddon was coming soon as well as the excitement I felt that I wouldn't even have to finish high school in this system, the relief I felt when 1975 came and passed, the pride I felt for giving up a college education to be a pioneer, the guilt I felt for knowing I was gay, the exhaustion I felt getting married anyway and trying to raise a family in "the Truth", and the incredible freedom I felt for myself and my children when I finally walked away from the JW cult at age 37.

That Awake! article was just one piece of the Watchtower web of control that imprisoned myself and my family. Thank God, or whomever, that that part of my life is in the past, and that my kids and I have had clarity for almost 20 years now. I hope this site can continue to help others gain that clarity as well.

I think I'll check out what else I've missed on this site over the past few years. Thanks for letting me vent

• Steve_C
    Steve_C

Whoops, I just realized that I had made a different account (Steve_C) and usually posted under that name.

• Prester John
    Prester John

I got a scholarship to go to grammar school, but my devout JW mum refused to let me go. It would be unfair she said, to take away a place from somebody else who would be staying on beyond the minimum term.

So to seek first the Kingdom I was packed off to the local secondary school. Can you believe that? Still hurts 35 years on.

• flipper
    flipper

JEFF T- Thanks for posting. I'll be 60 years old soon before the year is over, and I was born and raised in the JW cult. I was also told ( like many of you here ) that I'd never get married or have children in " this old system of things " .

But in the immortal words of Jim Nabors from the old 1960's Gomer Pyle show, " Surprise, surprise ! " I'm on my 3rd marriage, and my adult children are in their 30's ! lol.

The sick, sick irresponsibility that the WT Society has shown by deceiving millions of JW's into thinking they'll live forever is criminal and disgusting in my opinion. My older parents died thinking thinking they'll be back. But nobody, including a corrupt organization and it's leaders claiming to be the only channel to " God " - has a right to dupe people like that. It's cruel, dishonest, not to mention insane.

In my research of ancestors online, the same thing they all have in common for hundreds of years ? They all have a date of death , Nobody here gets out alive ( Jim Morrison stated ) and he was right !

So if you are a lurking JW reading this - PLEASE - wake up and smell the coffee. Smell, taste, think, and start believing in reality, and move on in your life to freedom of mind and go live your life successfully. You are being hindered from doing so, because you only have access to one world view- JWism. And the leaders of the WT Society are yanking your chain being dishonest. Please free yourself and come back to the real life and reality. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• dz105
    dz105

@Rodney1945

This is not the time to be toying with the words of Jesus that "concerning that day and hour nobody knows , neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father."

Watchtower, August 15, 1968

• JeffT
    JeffT

I don't think anything is going to "take down the Watchtower." Most of it's adherents are ruled by cognitive dissonance. This quote has no effect on them, but it may be useful in making a few think, and it certainly shows those with no JW background what is wrong with the cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit