Fifty years ago today: One quote to demolish the Watchtower

by JeffT 60 Replies latest jw friends

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

i remember this. I can hear it in my head.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    lastmanstanding: To get a trade takes 9000 hours. Usually 5 years. You have to work full time, usually overtime too, and alongside “worldly people” ...achhhH!
    How is that any different than going to University?

The difference is that you aren't in the University environment. You aren't being taught critical thinking skills, or how logical fallacies work. And you aren't spending five years away from your home and congregation!

Five years spent at University will often destroy faith, five years on an apprenticeship - not so much. The cult knows this.

Not downplaying your experience lastmanstanding, it's exactly the same as mine.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

This Awake article tied in with the book "Life Everlasting In Freedom of The Sons Of God" that was published in 1969 that brought out about 1975 being the end of 6 thousand years of human existence since Adam was created and that it would be an appropriate time for Jesus to begin his 1000 year reign .

I was 30 years old then and been in the "struth" for 10 years and didn`t wake up till well after about 1992-3.

The very first problems I had with the Borg was when they tried to shift the blame on the R&F for running ahead after nothing happened allowing for a few more years post 1975.

• baldeagle
    baldeagle

As already mentioned, this was all part of their masterplan to bolster and build-up the 1975 teaching. It amazes me that these charlatans would NOT even consider giving themselves any wiggle room in their wording.

You also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things.” Play it safe & avoid embarrassment WT…

You also need to face the possibility that you might never grow old in this present system of things.”

“Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years.” Play it safe & avoid embarrassment WT…

“Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end very soon.

“Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers.” This could have been written…

“Therefore, as a young person, you might never fulfill any career that this system offers.”

“But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way towards its finish, if not actually gone!

“But where will this system of things be by that time? It might be well on the way towards its finish, perhaps even gone!

It’s obvious that these leaders deliberately chose to use unambiguous statements in order to generate a massive mental, emotional, and physical response from its followers. For the countless dreams and accomplishments that were never attained but rather dashed to pieces, these liars deserve a full retribution.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

Actually all this started well before that 1969 magazine. I remember 6 years before listening to DO ron drage hammering this subject in a talk at an assembly. I was 16..i gave up my job and went pioneering

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Dont forget jeffT

That a thousand years is as if one day and one day is a thousand years .

So don`t hold your breath JW`s the big A and the GT could still be a thousand years or more away .

• lastmanstanding
    lastmanstanding

Hi nic

nicolaou8 hours ago
    lastmanstanding: To get a trade takes 9000 hours. Usually 5 years...
    The difference is that you aren't in the University environment. You aren't being taught critical thinking skills, or how logical fallacies work. And you aren't spending five years away from your home and congregation! Five years spent at University will often destroy faith, five years on an apprenticeship - not so much. The cult knows this. Not downplaying your experience lastmanstanding, it's exactly the same as mine.

Nice to hear from another tradesman.(person)

I agree with your sentiments all true, just that I was taking the article at face value. The reason the governing bobbles gave for dissing university was “time”. And so my responses. Time, in relation to the nearness of 1975.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

True enough lastman. They've been shouting that time is running out for 140 years now. In another life I might pity them . . but then I remember how much time they robbed from us, our childhoods, teens and beyond.

Fuck 'em

• sparky1
    sparky1

"Fuck 'em" - nicolaou

I second that motion!

• undercover
    undercover

Quotes like this one among others, WT covers like the 84 May (Generation That Will Not Pass Away) are my one and only 'argument' anymore with any JW family, friend, or foe, who seek to 'encourage' me to return.

"I was told I would not grow old. I have grown old. The generation that would not pass away has passed away. Ever prediction made over 130 years has failed. I was raised to believe this shit, and I did until I couldn't ignore facts any longer. And in light of this documented evidence, you're a fool for thinking that this organization has a special line to God, and can predict the future."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit