Fifty years ago today: One quote to demolish the Watchtower

by JeffT 60 Replies latest jw friends

• JeffT
    JeffT

I did not have any connection to JW's when they published this, about two weeks before I graduated from High school. I'm now on Medicare and collecting social security. So much for their ability to see into the future.

*** Awake! 1969 May 22 p.15 ***
    If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this
    present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy
    indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. Of the generation that
    observed the beginning of the 'last days' in 1914, Jesus foretold: 'This generation will by no
    means pass away until all these things occur.' Therefore, as a young person, you will never
    fulfill any career that this system offers. If you are in high school and thinking about a college
    education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a
    specialized career. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the
    way towards its finish, if not actually gone! This is why parents who base their lives on God's
    prophetic Word find it much more practical to direct their young ones into trades that do not
    require such long periods of additional schooling… True, those who do not understand where
    we are in the stream of time from God's viewpoint will call this impractical. But which is really
    practical: preparing yourself for a position in this world that soon will pass away? or working
    toward surviving this system's end and enjoying eternal life in God's righteous new order?

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001
    This article came out before my mother became a JW, and I was only three months old, but her cousin, who convinced her later to become one, was a JW and her children were pretty young. Her eldest of four (children) was around 10 years of age. Since then her children all grew up all got married and had children of their own. One of her grandsons died five years ago.
  • zeb
    zeb

and the wt has the hide to say they dont predict/prophesy its only jw who take things out of context and (drum roll) run ahead of the org.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

My thumbs don’t work, so can I just say: I endorse this post.

There are JWs I would like to share it with but not worth the hassle.

• Biahi
    Biahi

I remember this...I was 10 years old. I felt dread and doom, because this was ‘the truth’ and if Jehovah read my heart, I would soon be killed at Armageddon.

• sir82
    sir82

If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this

present system of things.

This is an obviously false statement. Who got it wrong?

Was it Jehovah? Then why worship him?

Was it the organization? If so, what else have they got wrong? What are they teaching right now that is wrong? Why would Jehovah use an organization that misrepresents what he says?

• Half banana
    Half banana

This was Pollyanna propaganda from the 1969 JW leadership showing how truly stupid, ignorant, false, misleading and life-stealing they were and still are . . .

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

I was 21 then married almost a year and had not long stopped pioneering..utterly fed up with it and just staying in the cult to please wife and parents. Armageddon coming soon.? Bring it on.

• was a new boy
    was a new boy

Federal Mail Fraud Laws

The use of the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) or a private interstate carrier to commit a crime of deceit gives feds an easy opportunity to claim jurisdiction.

Violating accepted norms of public policy can also constitute fraud, as when the scheme violates the duty of honesty, fair play, and right dealing in business and general public life. Courts have held that all that’s necessary is a “scheme reasonably calculated to deceive persons of ordinary prudence and comprehension.” (Badders v. United States, 240 US 391(1916).)

In a mail fraud prosecution, the government need not prove that the scheme actually injured victims, or was even carried out completely. It’s not even necessary that the victim of the scheme had knowledge of its existence.

The statute of limitations for mail fraud and wire fraud prosecutions is five years (18 U.S.C. § 3282), except for mail and wire fraud schemes that affect a financial institution, in which case the statute is ten years (18 U.S.C. § 3293).

Would Congress open a statute of limitations window for 1969 Awake readers ?

'One quote to demolish the Watchtower' - WT knows that, that's why there's no 1969 Awake on WT Online Library

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

The problem I encountered is that you can show the culties this but they will just come back with blather like, 'the light gets brighter', 'that was old truths' or 'they're just imperfect men doing their best.' ....and other such culty nonsense trademarked by the corporation.

Thus they can switch their minds off and carry on in their culty cult life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit