"Even if this wasn't the truth, I would still stay. This is the best life to live..."

by HereIgo 63 Replies latest jw experiences

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

HERE I GO:

I don't believe they're all that happy.

I heard this phrase repeated several times especially during the latter years I was in the religion. I guess it was in response to stories of people giving up or leaving and is a sort of defense or justification.

I think the news of many jumping ship is seriously distressing to JWs still there.

As far as the many elderly (especially born-ins), I wouldn't expect them to leave. They know nothing else and their view is very small. Let them stay. I have no family there (thankfully) and am just glad that I got MYself out.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Freddy Franz said the same statement at the Gilled graduation in 1976 (1975 had come and went) so......that;s when cracks in the foundation started.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I have no problem with shunning a sexual predator, murderer, someone who planned to commit adultery/fornication, etc.

Too bad the scriptures read that we must forgive, because in many such cases I wish these type of intentional wrongdoers never came back to the Org.

The disfellowshipping and shunning thing must be case by case. In some extreme cases, it is absolutely necessary.

DY

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

'Unconditional Love' is a myth. All aspects of human interaction have their specific conditions.

DY

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

"Even if this wasn't the truth, I would still stay. This is the best life to live..."

If it was "The Truth".

I`d have to believe in a...

Unintelligent Supreme Being.

Image result for Goofy god

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

DOUBTFULLY YOURS:

Yes, it is true that all interactions with people have specific unspoken conditions. For example:..you will not steal from them, vandalize their property, harm their pets, etc. These are things that people refrain from in an orderly society.

However, in the Witness religion we are talking about something else. They expect YOU to perform in certain ways. It's not just about you being a decent person, there are visible "works" that they want to see from members there.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

If it's not the truth but you will deny life saving treatments to your children because it's a good way to live... because several blokes in Brooklyn decided this the last century.... then you are far from appreciating the alternate lives available.

How can one defend going to people's doors trying to convince them of something that isn't true, but you feel will be good for them? That would be outrageous!

With the JW religious denomination having the lowest wages and least educated members internationally (Pew study) alongside disturbing levels of paedophilia and decades of abuse risk, where is this 'good way to live'? Even there very own GB member told the Australian judge in the child abuse review case, live streaming to the world, that things were not good enough, safe enough for these kids in the JW's.

Therre are plenty of other belief systems that suggest, encourage or require clean living too, without so much known consequence/ harm to ones life.

Then there is the anecdotal evidence we have all seen, the stress and burn out of an uneducated group of people, striving to survive financially whilst also attempting to overcome perpetual guilt and spiritual demands. The congs were full of depression, stress and burn out. Bethel was, more so!

• smiddy
    smiddy

In other words they may as well belong to any other christian religion because what they are saying they are no better than any other religion doing their best to be christians according to their understanding of the Bible.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Island Man - "I believe such words reveal that deep down they do have doubts about the organization being the Truth and such reasoning is actually a rationalization for why one should remain."

'Course that's the case.

Know how I know?

'Cause that was me.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Simon - "...saying 'Even if it isn't the healthiest food, I'm eating it anyway' is what someone says when they are about to tuck into a chocolate cake that they know isn't healthy, not something someone says when they think they are eating healthy food."

Excellent use of illustrations; we'll move on to the next point of counsel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit