"Even if this wasn't the truth, I would still stay. This is the best life to live..."

by HereIgo 63 Replies latest jw experiences

• Island Man
    Island Man

I have heard words to that effect from an elder during casual conversation. I believe such words reveal that deep down they do have doubts about the organization being the Truth and such reasoning is actually a rationalization for why one should remain.

But the statement is false. JWs don't live the best life. Shunning your own flesh and blood just because they leave your religion and join another, is not the best way of life. Refusing higher education and therefore hampering your ability to fulfill your full potential economically and societally, is not the best way of life. Refusing life-saving blood transfusion for your dying minor child or yourself, during a medical emergency, thereby consigning yourself or your child to almost certain death, is not the best way of life. Holding a prejudiced view of everyone around you, labelling them as "worldly", "bad association" and "unbelievers" just because they don't belong to your particular sect of a religion, is not the best way of life.

I can live a good life with the same moral standards as JWs, without drug abuse and the other social ills JWs prejudicially paint everyone as suffering from, all without having to practice the ills mentioned above that are specific to the JW way of life. Many non-JWs of other religions live that better way of life.

More importantly, we can use their own Bible to call them out on their best life BS! If they are true Christians as they claim then their way of life is definitely not enviable, according to the Bible. In 1 Corinthians 15 "Paul" says that Christians are to pitied more than all other men if Christ was not raised up! Why would he say a thing like that if the Christian way of life true was the best? His words reveal that the Christian way of life is one filled with trials and hardships. It is a difficult life that is to be endured only because of the hope of the resurrection and the promise of future eternal life. Not the best life - but a drudgery worth enduring to gain the prize of eternal life.

The JWs are lying against reality and against the Bible itself! Best life lie ever!

• Toshibabadu
    Toshibabadu

I didn't waste time trying to fade. Once i knew it wasn't the "truth". I stopped attending meetings. I just stopped everything connected with Jw's. They call...i don't respond anymore.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Look around at the Kingdom Hall, does it really look like those people are living the best life possible? Maybe things have changed since I left, bit I don't remember a more joyless group of people.

• Are you serious
    Are you serious

I had a relative who was a hobo and he would commit some criminal activity right before winter so he could spend winter in jail. He knew his basics would be taken care without having to worry about the cold outside. Reminds me of JWs who've been in the org most of their lives. Even if they now doubt it they won't dare try leaving because they are comfortable in their spiritual jail.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

I had thought this before when I was younger. Probably because the organization makes out like everyone's lives on the outside are miserable. Especially young people, they are all addicts, sexual deviants, or just losers. Oh, and you'll definitely get some girl pregnant who really don't want to be with at all. It's only now that I'm older that I realize you can live a good clean life if that is what you want and not for religious reasons.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

It's not real worship to me. I just enjoy the social aspect, the interaction with my friends and family that are my everything.

The blood stance, I totally get it; "abstain from blood", Old and New Testament. So, JWs interpret it literally. So it is. How many lives are lost daily due to sacrifice to the 'Gods' of war? How many lives are lost daily to crime, to the practice of harmful habits such as drugs, smoking, excessive drinking? So, JWs decide to sacrifice their life following their interpretation of the text. So be it, and I get it.

The abuse follow-up policies need improving. That is definitely coming due to all the recent exposure. By the way, this is a problem everywhere in society at large; one would have to isolate oneself to avoid it.

The shunning practice needs to be tweaked for sure. However, in many instances, this type of treatment is absolutely necessary. I take it as a case by case scenario.

Due to my indoctrination from birth,I can excuse it all. This is just a Faith with a different interpretation.

DY

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    The shunning practice needs to be tweaked for sure. However, in many instances, this type of treatment is absolutely necessary. I take it as a case by case scenario.

No, it's never really necessary especially between family members. JWs are grownups with their own minds if someone has done something truly reprehensible they can decide for themselves to not associate with that person. That is different from disfellowshipping which is forced upon the congregation.

• cofty
    cofty
    The blood stance, I totally get it; "abstain from blood", Old and New Testament. So, JWs interpret it literally. So it is.

Is this genuine ignorance or wilful ignorance?

The shunning practice needs to be tweaked for sure. However, in many instances, this type of treatment is absolutely necessary.

Disgraceful!

• Simon
    Simon

To me, this is them admitting that they know full well it isn't the truth and that they can't logically defend their faith, but they are picking it anyway.

For example, saying "Even if it isn't the healthiest food, I'm eating it anyway !" is what someone says when they are about to tuck into a chocolate cake that they know isn't healthy, not something someone says when they think they are eating healthy food.

It's a "shut up and don't make me feel bad" argument.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    It's not real worship to me. I just enjoy the social aspect, the interaction with my friends and family that are my everything.

This I can understand. The only thing is that many of your friends will be like my friends and conditional. I had a bizarre conversation with my wife the other day where I was updating her on my feelings and she said that if I fully stopped going to meetings it would affect our social life yet refused to accept that friends that were only friends if I went to the meetings were conditional ones.

The blood stance, I totally get it; "abstain from blood", Old and New Testament. So, JWs interpret it literally. So it is. How many lives are lost daily due to sacrifice to the 'Gods' of war? How many lives are lost daily to crime, to the practice of harmful habits such as drugs, smoking, excessive drinking? So, JWs decide to sacrifice their life following their interpretation of the text. So be it, and I get it.

This I can't understand since two wrongs don't make a right. Also, many of the examples you quote affect the adult individual however the Witness stance on blood can affect minors. It is also based on a completely illogical and hypocritical foundation where it's wrong to donate blood but acceptable to take fractions obtained from that donated by others. I hate the blood policy.

The abuse follow-up policies need improving. That is definitely coming due to all the recent exposure. By the way, this is a problem everywhere in society at large; one would have to isolate oneself to avoid it.

Granted it's an issue in society in general however the WTS lags behind so many other organisations, is obstructive when investigated and continues to obsfucate and distract instead of engage.

What would you say would constitute an absolute necessity to shun?

Due to my indoctrination from birth,I can excuse it all. This is just a Faith with a different interpretation.

Really? "I was just following orders. I was brought up in the Hitler Youth and indoctrinated. I am sure that excuses my actions".

Faith is a form of trust. It should be based on experience and confidence. How can you have faith when so much of the so called evidence is unreliable?

I really can understand why you might choose to stay in for the sake of family but I don't understand your reasoning on the rest of it. Of course it's your life fella...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit