2019 BOE Elders letter May 13 England - Ireland Data Protection

by Not_Culty 62 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Any reactions from JWs? I was tempted to talk to JWs at carts about it, but I didn’t see any today.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

In the Netherlands a big news site reported on this :-)

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

Perhaps the householder could be given a form and write down their info for a return visit? Or correspond via text message?

I think what will really happen is that individual publishers will continue to jot down notes but be very discreet about it. The letter is a way for leadership to say that they told the congregations not to keep records. It is a legal maneuver. If anyone sues them the blame will fall on the publisher and not WT.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    The letter is a way for leadership to say that they told the congregations not to keep records. It is a legal maneuver. If anyone sues them the blame will fall on the publisher and not WT.

Individual publishers may indeed think they can continue making notes. But I think Watchtower is very much aware of the danger in that wrt GDPR.

Imagine a commercial enterprise that told their sales reps 'don't take any notes with private information of customers'. They tell the sales reps only once. Many sales reps continue to take notes anyway. One of the sales reps then loses his notes somewhere and they get out in the open. Or someone blows the whistle on the sales reps violating privacy laws.

Who is to blame? According to GDPR the commercial enterprise is probably judged as at fault. They should have done more to raise awareness and increase compliance with GDPR. I severely doubt that data protection authorities would rule that a single memo (that not even all employees were guaranteed to have received) would be enough to stop data collection after decades of telling employees to collect data.

Likewise I doubt Watchtower would be off the hook if they only write this single letter and it turns out many of their employees ignore that one memo.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I forsee a time when JW's will revert to secret handshakes for people who take the literature.

Or possibly some sort of secret code as an introduction when the publisher makes a return visit and the householder opens the door, such as:

Publisher: All birds fly high

Householder: Weeds grow in the garden.

Publisher: You can't trust the weatherman.

At this point, the publisher enters the home and the householder closes the curtains.

Rub a Dub

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Astounding. If adopted in the US, the JWs would really be in a quandary of what to do.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Correction: the Zimbabwean letter (mentioned in the post above) was really sent by mistake.

Ah...I see holy spirit is at work again.

• hoser
    hoser

Heard it’s in Canada too

• JayDubyaDotOrg
    JayDubyaDotOrg

I'm in a foreign language congregation in a European land.

We were instructed to destroy everything, addresses, names, nationality etc etc..everything.

We had thousands of names and details collected over a long period all wiped out in a second.

I can imagine a great sigh of relief from the territory servant..I know that job!

As it stands, you can only note the address of a person who specifically asks you not to call, a DNC back in the day.

That was my first post, wanted to say hi to everyone.

Dubya

• stillin
    stillin

Jaydub, welcome and nice to meet you!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit