2019 BOE Elders letter May 13 England - Ireland Data Protection

by Not_Culty 62 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

I haven't checked what the laws are in Zimbabwe. Might be worth checking online.

• LoyalLeon
    LoyalLeon

I can confirm the letter has been sent out in othe EU branches as well, but no special instuction to foreign-language congregations yet.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

@blondie:

Apparantly Zimbabwe is a lawless hellhole when it comes to privacy and data protection. So it may very well be that WT just want to 'keep unity' and apply the no records policy everywhere?

There are no specific provisions for the collectors of personal data to obtain the prior approval of data subjects for the processing of their personal data.

https://www.dlapiperdataprotection.com/index.html?t=law&c=ZW

• Olig
    Olig

Will this also affect how parts are given at the assemblies?? Will there be any encouraging experiences?....

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    Will there be any encouraging experiences?

Yes. First because half of them are probably made up anyway.

Second because they more often than not contain no information that points to a specific individual (e.g. 'Andre preached at school blabla' doesn't identify which of the millions of Andres in the world the story is about)

Third because those who relate their own experience on stage supposedly consent to themselves sharing personal data about themselves.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Half of them are made up? Seems optimistic.

• blondie
    blondie

I agree with Anders, probably more than half though. I have known many of jws over the last 50 years, family and friends, who have had the so-called privilege of giving their so-called personal experiences.

Their experiences have been massaged so much by the time they are given on the platform, they are unrecognizable to the individual and anyone who knows them and the experience.

The experience is adjusted to fit some talk or theme of the meeting/assembly/convention given at. Sometimes the WTS doesn't even have one from the circuit or regional/circuit convention so borrows one from another circuit etc.

The CO or brother assigned to filtering the experiences, works with the individual until it has been massaged properly (as well as the individual). Some have felt uncomfortable with this, and said they could not do it or others as one older sister, disregarded the index cards she was told to use and put inside her open bible so no one off stage could see, and then told her real story.

The WTS a few years before I left and it still continues, to use what they call re-enactments, for example, a part on a talk needs a family with 2 parents of a certain background, 2 teenagers, male and female, and be outstanding as an example, in good standing with the WTS that is. I was surprised to see 2 jws introduced as parents of the 2 teenagers, whereas I knew that no one was related to each other, it was like they had auditioned actors to play parts. I found out later that because the WTS could not find a real family that met the WTS criteria, they had to manufacture one. Wow! The WTS lying or misleading it s members, who would have thought.

Yes, Anders, it is impossible to verify the experiences in the publications, and I have tried to do so with the live ones I have heard. Now with the search feature in the WOL, I can find where the WTS has used this same experience, sometimes from 20 years ago, although it is presented as just happening. (Something I have researched in study articles and commented on).

And yes, Anders, the person may have consented once, but unknown to them, it is being shared in many locations. Anonymity of the person is not the WTS concern, it is making it next to impossible for anyone to verify what is said. Like quoting outside sources, but not giving any info about the source like other professional magazines do (or quoting them inaccurately on purpose).

• keinlezard
    keinlezard

Hi,

Same letter in France :)

I'm probably a "big apostate" if I think these letters have something to do with the Trial In Finland

where the watchtower has lost :) ???

Best Regards

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    I'm probably a "big apostate" if I think these letters have something to do with the Trial In Finland
    where the watchtower has lost :smile:???

It's a direct result. The principles from the Finnish case apply in all of Europe.

• Saltheart Foamfollower
    Saltheart Foamfollower

I haven't seen this mentioned yet. I'm not certain it has been official policy, but the practice is to also write disfellowshipped addresses on territory cards. Many are probably quite happy to never be called on, but it is now their decision.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit