2019 BOE Elders letter May 13 England - Ireland Data Protection

by Not_Culty 62 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Lots of people don't like the idea of J W s taking down info about them. I had some annoyed H/H when I was indiscreet. This means, if they can't "do not homes", they are going to whip round the territory double quick and meet the same people , always at home, again and again.

When I think of the effort we put in to try and contact everyone........!

The ministry is becoming just a declaration of the message, not a teaching work .

• Corney
    Corney
    slimboyfat Are publishers even allowed to ask the householder if they can take a note for a return visit. The letter doesn’t make any allowance for that. Apparently it’s no notes at all!

Yes, because every publisher taking notes - even when there's a householder's consent - bears all responsibilities of controller under GDPR, jointly with local congregation and national entity.

Presumably they have sent letters to foreign language congregations to explain how on earth this is supposed to work.

Ghettoes and cart ministry?

sir82 Did you see this from the reddit thread: If they preach to an EU citizen living in the US (or anywhere else), and they make a GDPR complaint, the EU can fine the branch over there.

Art. 3 of the GDPR says otherwise.

• blondie
    blondie

I guess jws are going to have good memories and jot this down at home and hide in a safe place so the authorities cannot find it (smile).

Or they can have carts humanned with the appropriate language jws and publications in more exclusively lived in neighborhoods of people who speak that language.

Or as the WTS has said that not every person needs a personal witness before god brings Armageddon.

Why should jws being fearful of taking down notes when jws in Russia are being thrown in prisons for preaching or having meetings?

What about the WTS of community responsibility, individuals being held responsible for the acts of the larger community even if they personally did not commit the crime?

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Presumably they have sent letters to foreign language congregations to explain how on earth this is supposed to work.

The letter states that when two congregations work in the same territory the service overseers must come to a mutually acceptable agreement on how to proceed.

Normally native language congregations don't work in the same territory. Only foreign language congregations work in the same territory as other congregations.

In other words, this letter tells foreign language congregations to see for themselves how they're gonna proceed without foreign language territory maps....

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

According to the letter the single exception for making notes is where the householder instructs not to call again. In that case the publisher is supposed to make a note and keep it with the map.

So the only record JWs will have from their ministry is a list of people who are actively hostile to their message - genius!

But I don’t even understand how this is an exception. Why are JWs allowed to make a note even in the case of “do not call” if they are to make no notes at all? The law seems pretty draconian and unworkable to me.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

I think in the case of do not calls, since the householder is specifically making the request not to call again, that would give permission to make note of at least the address. Otherwise, how would they be able to avoid the house?

Agree this will be a major change in how JWs conduct FS. Without the ability to take notes on RVs, I just don't see how you could effectively conduct one.

• Corney
    Corney

It looks like the same letter was sent to congregations in Zimbabwe. Is it a new worldwide policy?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/exjw/comments/bok4ty/leak_watchtower_zimbabwe_change_gdpr_eu_rules_for/

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Awesome. Even more countries where field service will be even more useless than ever before!

• blondie
    blondie

Of course, this seems to apply in countries when door to door is legally forbidden or limited if private info rights are violated. In the US there is no such law and I expect it will be WTS business as usual. The WTS is a CYA organization.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    What's the difference between Zimbabwe and USA? They're both not part of EU, both not within GDPR jurisdiction....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit