Would You Be Afraid To Visit The Dominican Republic?

by minimus 45 Replies latest jw friends

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I've never been to DR and know nothing about it.

But there are other Caribbean islands you could go to instead - as long as you do your research.

I've been to St Lucia once before and that was very good.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

I know that in recent years it's been a trendy spot for JWs to visit on 'need-greater' trips (really just an excuse for a vacation) and at least one JW owns a hotel down there. We'll see if that drops off.

• minimus
    minimus

Which hotel there is owned by a JW??

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

I was in the DR once a few years ago at a resort. I have also been to other countries and to me the DR does not rank very high. I found the locals to be apathetic at best, dare I say maybe a little envious or disgruntled that they need to "serve" the tourists. With that said, i never had an issue, though who knows if there are a few who are willing to go a step further and sabotage the operation with spiking the drinks with something harmful.

The best resorts I have been to have consistently been in Mexico, even in how helpful and pleasant the people are.

In any case, i no longer go to resorts. I got tired of putting up with loud drunk people at the pool, which almost always are American and Canadian. Now i only rent villas -- a little more expensive but worth it.

• minimus
    minimus

More reports of deaths and severe illness in the news today!

• Dagney
    Dagney

Yikes. I have (ahem) former friends at the missionary home there. They were always having things stolen. Wonder how they are doing. It’s probably the best convention ever.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

I will be dead before I finish my bucket list. Why kick the bucket early?

• Doctor Who
    Doctor Who

Never been to the DR. I've frequently visited the Florida Keys, and to put it plainly I prefer there for my vacation time. With all this negative stuff happening in the news recently, I now have ZERO interest in going to the DR.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

The DR is a 3rd World SHITHOLE! There, I said it. And I speak from experience, having been to several parts of this planet which are complete shitholes.
    I would also put Mexico into this category.

I just can't believe people pay good money to go down to these "resorts" that are made up to be more American and to just spoil you. Most never leave the resort, so why even go???? Plenty of great places in America (or wherever you are from) to stay and be pampered, without having to worry about ingesting tainted moonshine alcohol, being drugged and raped, or worse yet, kidnapped, held for ransom, and then killed and buried in the dessert.

When I go to other countries, I go there to experience that culture, cuisine, history, etc. Hell, I even do that when I'm traveling around my own country of America.

People who go to Mexico, Haita/Jamaica, the DR, and certain Central/South American countries are DUMB AS HELL, and deserve a Darwin Award.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

People who go to Mexico, Haita/Jamaica, the DR, and certain Central/South American countries are DUMB AS HELL, and deserve a Darwin Award.

WC, very well thought out comment.

By the way, were you the young guy in the movie Deliverance playing the banjo on the porch?

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit