Just woke up turn TV on to hear yet another nut case with a gun.

by Still Totally ADD 146 Replies latest jw friends

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

This issue doesn't have one solution. It's complex. Banning guns outright will not solve this issue.

Nevertheless, proper and sensible gun control can still help mitigate some of this.

For example, i see no reason why any citizen should have 40+ guns. If his house is broken into, there are 40+ more guns in the black market. You want a gun for protection? Fine, have one, maybe 2.

I see no reason why any citizen should have assault style weapons. Also, no rifles with magazines. You want a gun for protection? Get a handgun. You want to hunt? Get a single loader rifle? Couldn't get a deer on a first shot? try another day..

No private sales or gun shows. You want to sell a gun to some guy? you must go through gun shop to mediate the transaction, so that background checks are done, etc, etc.

Even if some of these things are inconvenient, they will help. It will never be perfect, but it will help mitigate the issue.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

agree its ok to be inconvenienced. Fine with that.

if any of the guns he used were illegal, the system didn't work

if any of the guns he used legal, the system didn't work

I think th number of guns he owned is also a non-issue, people are flipping out, yes the number is excessive, but he couldn't use 40+ guns at once, he probably only used two. It's a lot of guns, but unless he had a small army to shoot with him, the number is mostly irrelevant in how much harm he caused

• JeffT
    JeffT

Konceptual 99: What laws do you think we need?

Cofty: owning a military style automatic weapon is already illegal.

redvip2000: Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Different firearms have different uses. My father was an upstanding citizen who a dozen or so guns. Bolt action deer rifles are rarely used in crimes, they are too cumbersome.

Last year heroin killed more people than either guns or cars. Maybe we need to make it illegal, oh wait...

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Again, the issue is not limited to this one case. Having 40+ guns is not that relevant in THIS case, but it's issue.

Just like owning an M16 is not relevant if you decide to kill someone with a handgun. But owning an m16 is still an issue across the board.

A legal gun owner can kill someone illegally, but again, the path forward is to at least make sure that all gun translations are done in a controlled fashion.

Let's look at the bigger issue. Focusing on the one that slipped through the cracks is not as important, those will always happen. Bigger issue are the thousand of other deaths that nobody reports. Can we bring that number down.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    redvip2000: Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Different firearms have different uses. My father was an upstanding citizen who a dozen or so guns. Bolt action deer rifles are rarely used in crimes, they are too cumbersome.

Seems you were the one who didn't understand my point. My point is exactly that, bolt action deer rifles are too cumbersome for crimes, yet you can hunt with them. Let's use them.

Last year heroin killed more people than either guns or cars. Maybe we need to make it illegal, oh wait...

Get back to us when maniacs start killing innocent people with heroin. For now, if it only kills people who chose to use it, i'm not losing any sleep.

• freemindfade
  • cobweb
    cobweb
    And you can say well Australia did it, they haven't had a mass shooting since, well they also don't have trucks driving through crowds in Australia.

As you say, the banning and confiscation of guns in Australia and the UK was effective and there has been no mass shootings since the mid 90's. No one is saying guns are the only way to kill people. It does seem to be the most effective way and it goes hand in hand with a big gun culture in the USA that makes guns seem sexy and acceptable.

In places where access to guns are limited, people have used trucks as deadly weapons and home made explosives too. These are also pretty effective ways to kill. It is true that if people want to kill badly enough they will find a way. But.... hypothetically, if US government were to ban and confiscate all guns - however unlikely that would be - do you really think that people would start killing people with trucks and explosives in the same numbers that they do now with guns? Somehow I doubt it.

Its never going to happen though. There are probably dozens of similar threads on this board about gun massacres that have happened over the years in the USA and this is just one more where the same questions get asked - and then it will be forgotten in a few weeks.

• JeffT
    JeffT
    Seems you were the one who didn't understand my point. My point is exactly that, bolt action deer rifles are too cumbersome for crimes, yet you can hunt with them. Let's use them.

This is the comment I was addressing:

Also, no rifles with magazines.

Bolt action rifles have magazines.

• LV101
    LV101

Police carrying larger weapons is crazy and not a realistic option. They cannot protect one's life nor respond until it's too late - get real!

Guns carried at the LV concert would not have helped in this particular scenario, however, they have saved many lives in other horrifying situations - reality 101!

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Red, your headbutting the problem with legislation and yet not seeing the issue... you cannot define what you think you are defining...

1) all guns are “assault weapons”. Is there a gun used in a crime that WASNT an “assault” weapon? Give an example.

2) on your point regarding all private weapons being limited to bolt action rifles, consider the following crime:

a man fires three shotswithin six seconds at a moving target, scoring two hits out of three. He used a bolt action rifle..... and killed the president of the united states.

how would your propsed law have helped? Killing anyone is a crime. That law didnt help. Killing the president is a crime. That law didnt help. Once again you are trying to define things you dont understand so that you feel better and feel like you did something. It dosent work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit