Library now cleared out

by UnshackleTheChains 58 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

This isn’t anything new. They have been getting rid of certain publications and books in Kingdom Hall libraries over the years.. I figured that most of what was there was a showcase of sorts with nobody really reading it - but I thought they would be proud of it at least.

Back in the day I donated a very old book that a lady in the neighborhood gave me. One day I looked and presto it disappeared along with something else I had donated.

The Witness religion is completely rewriting and sanitizing their history IMO. It wants NO evidence of anything said or taught in the past.

• dozy
    dozy

KH libraries are a bit of a waste of time really - its basically the "spare room" in the KH that elders meet in or drag people in for counsel. I have never known anyone to pull a book out to use for research ( other than "borrow" a song book or publication they had forgotten for a meeting. ) It's just a lot of rubbish books gathering dust on shelves giving a kind of pseudo scholarly impression - pointless , especially nowadays with the dumbed down Org mainly functioning on videos and all the newer publications available online.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

They have to get all the info that is making them look like false prophets out of the JW's hands.

• Giordano
    Giordano

It's pretty much all on the internet so you can see and read it there.

Here's a great site if your interested:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Jehovah%27s_Witnesses

It's a reasonably accurate body of work backed up with 220 citations.

Of interest is a graphic of the three major schisms that hit the WTBTS that happen in 1909, 1916-1919 and 1928-1931.

There is an interesting back history on Russell and how he was greatly influenced by the Adventist Movement and it's beliefs. A quick read indicates that Russell used a lot of their theology.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

Dozy, I think you're right about that: a Kingdom Hall library is an icon or a symbol, like the stained-glass windows you might find in a Catholic church. I never saw anyone in one either, they don't seem to play a practical function.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

So let me get this straight . in countries where the work was banned the brothers risked their lives smuggling in and in possession for having these books- are now mere refuse to be scrapped?!

• blondie
    blondie

I actually used the library for older publications my family did not have. The problem was you could not take it out of the library and there was no printer. A couple in our congregation donated a computer that could use the current WOL and also make copies of the required pages in the older publications. Then activity increased since many did not have access to a computer at home. Too bad they didn't offer them to others in the congregation for their library which 2 congregations did in this area. I used to see there were 2 or more sets/copies of older publications and I would take a duplicate home. I found that few jws had a home library or would use it. Many jws just go to an elder anyway rather than do research. I wonder how many jws actually read books of any kind, or newspapers, etc. I knew male jws that would read the sports page but few people subscribe to newspapers depending on news on tv/internet. Too bad, I noticed that a full set of the Studies in the Scriptures online goes for $300 or more.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

When a new official video was released about the history of wts, the convention speaker told us the remarkable words: “Why a new video when we already have the Proclamers book? Because jw’s are not readers of thick books, that’s why.”.

G.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard
    During a deep clean of the local KH, a brother suddenly informed everyone 'whikst cleaning' that all the old books including bound volumes of the watchtower etc was to be chucked in the skip.

*sigh* ... all that wasted toilette paper...

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

It just happened at my Hall within the last few months. No announcement. Dozens of books just gone one day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit