Do You Know Any “Gay” Jehovah’s Witnesses?

by minimus 86 Replies latest jw friends

• karter
    karter

Myself and another j.w were working in an area that was known as a gay hangout. There was a public toilet there that was a gay meet up place we saw a guy we suspected was gay (practicing j.w at the time)go in to the toilet and come out a long time latter....... He may have had a case of the runns but we suspected otherwise. Karter

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

When I was a teenager I looked up to this young elder in a neighboring congregation. He was appointed at 26 and embodied every quality that I wanted to develop. At the time, I was 100% commited to the religion and wanted to follow a model "theocratic" path.

To my shock, he was suddenly disfellowshiped. Turns out this young man was gay. My brother found out through a two faced elder who was on the judicial committee (long story). Eventually rumors started to circulate and it became common knowledge.

I saw him about a year later at an assembly sitting with his parents looking ashamed. His reinstatement was taking a very long time. Word was the elder body thought he should be made to wait an extra long time to get reinstated because he was an elder and committed the worst sin possible outside of apostasy. I actually don't know if he was ever reinstated.

It's quite sad in hindsight. Views of gay people back then were deplorable. I hope they've improved at least somewhat, but that doesn't seem to be the case based on the comments I read.

• Kilian72
    Kilian72

I have seen many gays within the organization. Some of them came out and are living happily with their lives. Some decided to hide their lifestyle and are living "happily" inside the organization. I was assigned as a special pioneer, and ended up in the congregation where there were a lot of young adults. The org didn't know that I was already feeling gay'ish during that time (welcome holy spirit - active gay was assigned as a special pioneer and elder). During my times in the congregation I felt attached to one pioneer brother. I didn't make approach to him as - even though - I had a feeling he might be a gay as well. I tried to hide myself being a gay because of the family, and I was taught not bringing shame to J'w's organization. Then some day I decided to go to internet - and ended up to gay-hook up site. I signed up and one of the first to contact me was this pioneer brother :D. I never contacted him. Soon after I met with my current husband and we have been living happily together last 11 years. During the time I wrote this I tried to calculate how many gay witnesses I have known in my small country. Gays within the org - around 10 . Gays getting out - 25.

• scotsman
    scotsman

Welcome to the board Kilian72, from another gay former elder. I was also amused at just how oblivious the holy spirit was...

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Yes he acted like one even as a JW. He was an elder. He is now df’d. It is not hard to figure out why.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yes, I knew a couple. Well, not a couple. Two individuals, to be precise.

• charonsdog
    charonsdog

Many years ago when I was still in and serving as an elder, I was playing around online and noticed that my wife's nephew "Jared" (also and elder/pioneer) was online as well. Using a little feature of the online platform, I hit "goto_xxxxx" and landed in the middle of a gay chatroom, where I was almost immediately send a private message by "Jared". He didn't know it was me, as I was using an ID unknown to anyone. So I trolled him a little bit, and then sent him a private message from outside the chatroom using my known ID. I let him know that I caught him.

I wasn't offended that he was gay...I had suspected it for years. I was a little pissed that he was doing it while married with a small kid. He tried to tell me that it was work-related and that he had been assigned to catch a co-worker who was spending time in chatrooms instead of working... Of course I didn't believe him. But I also didn't turn him in. We never mentioned it again. I never told anyone. A few years later he was deleted and almost disfellowshipped for something, and he ended up in therapy. I honestly wish that I had been able to let him open up to me and talk about it long before, but of course, I would have toed the corporate line back then.

I find it interesting how my personal views have changed so much about homosexuality and other things since I left the JW.cult.

• Simon
    Simon

There was a guy in our old-old hall that was possibly gay, certainly very effeminate and who committed suicide. I have no idea of that was the cause or related in any way.

I still don't understand the Reverse Groucho-Marx psychology that some have: Why would anyone want to belong to a club that fundamentally doesn't want them as a member.

It's technically impossible to be both practicing gay and a genuine Jehovah's Witness. They see it as a sin and that even if you may see yourself as a JW, you're not 'really' one (the holy spirit just hasn't caught up with you yet). It's not really any different to someone being immoral with the opposite sex - if caught you either have to be repentant or be kicked out.

But why would someone who is gay want to be a JW? It's like a black man wanting to join the KKK or someone Jewish wanting to join the Nazi party.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

"black man wanting to join the KKK", if he's blind and no idea he was black he might get away with it....David Chappell show "Black KKK member skit"..

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

What is relevant to consider is that 7 to 8% of men are in fact gay, that makes the total population of gay men living into the hundreds of millions and 3 to 5 % of woman are gay as well.

We had three (men) in my old Hall of a congregation of approximate 130 + men and woman so that statistic might be right.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit