Don Adams has passed away

by RubaDub 31 Replies latest jw friends

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Sounds like he was a nice guy. Just deluded and deceived (as most of us were).

• sparky1
    sparky1

"I knew his sister Jetha quite well..." - tiki

She was married to the old time Circuit Servant Rudy Sunel. He would go out in the door to door work in the worst blizzard possible and not stop for one minute for a coffee break. What a character he was! Todays soft Witnesses would never survive with him as their Circuit Overseer.

• sir82
    sir82

Never met Don, but had Joel Adams teaching a 2-day elders school a number of years ago.

I recall my dad using the expression "sourpuss" - referring to an old codger who looked & acted permanently pissed off at the world.

Whenever Joel Adams was doing his "teaching", that word kept popping into my head.

• Magnum
    Magnum

tiki: "The religion was far more believable back in those days."

Yeah, I agree.

Never met any of the Adams brothers, but am familiar with them. They are what I think of as old-school JWs - the old-timers who were around when the religion seemed more believable and was bolder and more serious and seemingly more dignified.

I would absolutely love to know what was going on in, for example, Don's head in the last few decades - especially the last ten years or so. Did he have doubts? What did he think of the new JWdom? Was he disappointed that the end hadn't come yet? What did he think of the new GB? What did he think about Lett, for example? What did he think of the dumbing down, the cartoons, etc.? Did he confide in anybody? Did he gripe or complain? Maybe somebody will reveal some of his thoughts one day if any are known.

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno

I met and interacted with both Don and Joel. Joel definitely was the sourpuss.

Don was super nice, though.

While I was at Patterson Bethel, I had a nervous breakdown and had to be in the infirmary for a week because I wasn't sleeping or eating and was having suicidal thoughts.

Don would eat breakfast with me every morning in the infirmary dining room. His wife had had a stroke and was up there until she passed away, so he ate breakfast, lunch and dinner up there with her.

He was probably the most pleasant Bethel heavy I met while I was up there.

I thought he had passed away YEARS ago. Maybe I'm mistaken. Maybe I'm remembering Karl instead of Don. It's been 20 years since I was at Bethel.

• fulano
    fulano

If I may ask. When did you do your Patterson time?

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

Don did not claim to be anointed...he never partook.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Don Adams has passed away,and he missed his
    heavenly calling by just that much !

Would you believe ....the new sytem is perhaps just days away?

-I find that hard to believe.

Would you believe ....it is within the lifetime of a group of people now alive whose lives overlapped with people alive in 1914.

-I would say that is ridiculous.

Would you believe ....around the next corner?

-No.

How about ....we made the whole thing up?

• tiki
    tiki

Sparky......oh Rudy Sunal...he drove me nuts. I was pioneering and stuck an entire morning door to door with him.. Nothing I said or did was right. Jetha was a character....she would get all these calls when they would serve the cong...these people were totally enamored with her. She would leave the calls for us to follow up and these same people would have no interest whatsoever. Next time around she would expect them to be progressive bible studies....she wouldn't believe they weren't...so back we would go and again she would get them all wired up and drooling with interest. On and on....

• compound complex
    compound complex

It's a thread like this that draws up old memories. I was driving from a job today and, at precisely 4:41 p.m., I recalled something Don Adams said to me (circa 1970).

I can't recall which meeting it was and why a newbie would have been called on to conclude with prayer, but I was asked to do so. After all the usual bases were covered, I requested the forgiveness of our sins.

Afterwards, Br. Adams approached and commended me for pronouncing "err" correctly.

Made my day, or evening!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit