1 In 3 Britons Think Bush Is Stupid Says Poll

by minimus 132 Replies latest social current

• core
    core
    I just hope that people see that these demonstrations are not representative of the opinions of most Brits.

Without a referendum we will never know if that is true - what is true is that a lot (a majority or a minority I do not know) are not happy with the Bush visit and the Bush Blair axis. As a guest Bush should be treated with respect, with opportunity for those who oppose his actions to voice that in a non-violent manner. The fact that many Americans are surprised at the groundswell of unease re the visit is hardly surprising - the average american news source has little of what happens outside the US - the view within America appears to be that we all love them - we dont - worldwide the US is probably now more unpopular than at any time in its history. £50m is spoken of as the cost of his visit re the security - what a waste of money.

It is offensive to label Bush as stupid - he has different views to me but is articulate and holds an MBA - he is not a fool.

• spiritwalker
    spiritwalker

9 and 10 Americans remember we kicked the Britain's butt in 1776 and won our freedom. Which means, 10 and 10 Americans do not have to care what a Britain thinks.

• Mutz
    Mutz

With the help of the French of course :)

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Badger,

We disagree politically...but that was funny as hell.

• City Fan
    City Fan

spiritwalker,

Do you mean only 19 Americans remember 1776???

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

City Fan: Well spotted! And apparently only 20 Americans do not have to care what a Britain thinks.

Now all we have to do is find out which ten Americans and which Briton spiritwalker is talking about!

I also wonder what percentage of American's think he's stupid... I mean, the Republican Msle Voice Choir (with special guest soloist) had better be far more concerned about those unAmerican people in your midst.

This was funny;

• core
    core
    9 and 10 Americans remember we kicked the Britain's butt in 1776 and won our freedom. Which means, 10 and 10 Americans do not have to care what a Britain thinks.

Actually it's the "British" butt - delighted to know that Americans do not have to care what the British think as the feeling is more than mutual - (remember you are the land of the WTBTS) - pity since 1776 your record on Freedom is not that hot but then you do have some great achievements...the Big Mac.........and.............

BTW only joking - because your President is not flavour of the month here has nothing to do with the affection we have for your country and people -

• Englishman
    Englishman

Did you know that there are more American expats living in the UK than in any other country?

Also, part of the reason for this visit is to discuss the steel tarrif that Bush put on UK imports to gain favour in the marginal state of Virginia? Apparently, Blair is thinking of slapping a surcharge on imports of orange juice from Florida to get his own back? The UK drinks so much Florida orange juice that this would cause a major upset in this marginal state and make things very uncomfortable for George W come the next election.

All the above facts must be true because I heard it all on BBC Radio 2.

Englishman.

• Englishman
    Englishman

This is from The Guardian:

Alan Travis and David Gow
    Tuesday November 18, 2003
    The Guardian

A majority of Labour voters welcome President George Bush's state visit to Britain which starts today, according to November's Guardian/ICM opinion poll.

The survey shows that public opinion in Britain is overwhelmingly pro-American with 62% of voters believing that the US is "generally speaking a force for good, not evil, in the world". It explodes the conventional political wisdom at Westminster that Mr Bush's visit will prove damaging to Tony Blair. Only 15% of British voters agree with the idea that America is the "evil empire" in the world.

Englishman.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Nice info Englishman... so, the USA can't compete on international steel markets, slaps illegal tariffs on imports to avoid job loss which equals vote loss, and triggers threat of retaliatory tarrifs that would lose jobs/votes in Florida, a place where the Republicans really don't have THAT many votes to lose...

... that's really funny!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit