Did you KNOW Ray and Cynthia or the legal copyright holder? Only a few maybe had limited contact.

by blondie 77 Replies latest jw friends

• Dagney
    Dagney

Brava blondie. Totally agree.

• elderINewton
    elderINewton

Not sure where I said or suggested the people breaking the copyright were doing a service. I think people want a legal means to have the book provide a service.

I think most folks agree that, and I do as well, that the decisions on what to do with the copyright are not ours, and are in the holders hands.

This is just business for me. Make money, cool, but don't blame everyone else for bad business decisions. Just ask HMV or go to your local, video store, they all made bad business decisions and they are not around. If you restrict content on anything, it gets out. (Netflix, geo-restrictions, etc...). This is so classic old school thinking. I think people are only wanting to help promote the book, and quite possibly see the current holder as the detriment to that do to the fact it has availability issues.

No doubt, piracy has impacted the potential sale of this book, but due to its limited target audience its also advertised it better than most publishers would. Hammonds work on this would say its helped, while Libowitz & Zentners work would say it hurt, so the messaging on piracy and book publishing is mixed.

• Landy
    Landy
    Are we there yet?
  • jookbeard
    jookbeard
    but if legitimate legal downloads had been made available from some time back it would have counteracted the bootleggers need to offer copies, how many times does this need to be repeated, its basic common sense and logic,its like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted and needn't have been like this
  • Simon
    Simon

Some idiots will always chose "free" or very, very, very cheap over legitimate.

How many times does it need to be repeated before you understand that simple fact?

Having legitimate copies available doesn't stop bootleggers - they started pirating when legitimate copies were available (duh) and that is what caused the issues. You have that straight from Ray's own words.

By your logic there can never be piracy - movies are available in stores so pirates won't copy them. What utter nonsense. A completely flimsy argument only put forward to defend people's theft.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    but if legitimate legal downloads had been made available from some time back it would have counteracted the bootleggers need to offer copies, how many times does this need to be repeated, its basic common sense and logic,its like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted and needn't have been like this

"But if"?

Nevermind.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Does everyone share the same strong conviction over pirated copies of the "Shepherd the Flock" elders' book?

Just saying.......does legality, or ethics, or what's "right" apply across the board to everyone and anyone without prejudice? Or just when it's convenient?

Doc

• Simon
    Simon
    Does everyone share the same strong conviction over pirated copies of the "Shepherd the Flock" elders' book?

No. But there are very different ethics behind the two books.

does legality, or ethics, or what's "right" apply across the board to everyone and anyone without prejudice? Or just when it's convenient?

Please point me to something of yours that I can take and then let's see who's opinion is "convenient"

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

Hi Blondie,

I agree with whatever the decision of the official copyright holder is. Meanwhile, do you know if there are going to be some legal copies anytime soon? It's been way more than "a couple of weeks" after the cease and desist, I would LOVE to tell people... Hey! Here's the place where you can LEGALLY BUY these books!

I am really hurting with the Spanish community, I have searched EVERYWHERE and there is NOT A SINGLE LEGAL COPY that I could find...

Please, make it quicker!

In the meantime, I will use other legal ways to spread information about the cult.

ILT

• steve2
    steve2

DoC, that good question's been raised before.

I think it underscores the different sensitivities that cause us all in one way or another to be more concerned about a well-regarded named individual's work being illegally accessed than a disliked organisations' work.

I struggle with this I must admit.

People who deplore Crisis of Conscience being downloaded illegally will have no expressed strong views on elder-only literature being downloaded illegally.

It it is inconsistent which suggests strongly much of the feeling so to speak reflects the high regard with which Ray was/is held.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit