If you're expecting a mass exodus anytime soon, FORGET ABOUT IT!

by nowwhat? 110 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Yes. And they are only threads where slim played a role. There are lots of others. Delusional collapse people are everywhere.

*edited to add- those are from the last six months only.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

It will probably be a "generational" thing.

The born in children will mostly leave, and very few will ever come into the org from the territory.

Hence, as the old-timers die off, the numbers will fall...

• LV101
    LV101

If it's a "generational" thing it will take another century -- that's a bummer but I've never expected it to die out. Anyone could be successful selling everlasting life and having free minions deliver the message and work for and give your company free real estate. What a concept - fail proof thus far.

• steve2
    steve2

In the face of mountainous evidence, I take back my response to the title of this thread.

Admittedly, many of the threads were not about an imminent mass exodus - but too many of them were breathlessly simplistic OPs about what lies just ahead for the organization.

That said, some of us - ahem! - joined in the discussion by expressing a contrary view that the end of the organization will not happen anytime soon, albeit there will be ongoing decline especially in the West.

• HiddlesWife
    HiddlesWife

And again, if the GB did a Jones-esque Food and Beverage Arrangement at any of the KH meetings, CAs, and/or RCs,--still there will be, beyond a shadow of a doubt, a good number of PIMIs sheeple-ly following their directives and partaking like there's no tomorrow---resulting in no tomorrow/next day for them, especially since that physical food would be poisonous anyway!

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Lol well steve you know i agree with you on that but a stunning number of our peers see doom and gloom

• never a jw
    never a jw

The "exodus" is three prong

• Die-hard JW's are aging and dying
    • Born-ins are not showing interest
    • Young and middle age JW's are learning TTAT

May I add a fourth one "future" JW's are very hard to find

Slow and steady decline has been the pattern and will continue for decades.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

NOWWHAT?:

I don’t expect there to be a mass exodus from the JW religion. There are too many there who do not care what is wrong with the religion and they are heavily invested in it.

After what I heard about the religion’s changes, I am just super-glad I am OUT and have no family trapped in there!

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

People are leaving a little because their

treated badly by the congregation, a little because their victims of sexual abuse, a little because thier blamed for something by the elders that they didn’t do, a little because their gay, a little because they learn Ttatt, a little because they learn of sexual abuse coverups, a little because of gossip a little because their beat by their mates and nothing is done, a little because their screwed over by some elders and a little because their driven to have a life and don’t see any possibilities in the cult.

Its a cult that’s dying by a thousand cuts, halls are closing , congregations are merging old people are dying. In the end the bad press will only wake a few, but it will also make aware many in the world and even less will consider the cult as something they want to join. In the end they’ll still be around but they will be much smaller and even less significant.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Depends what you mean by mass exodus. I think there is certainly an unprecendeted number of people leaving JWs at the moment, for a number of reasons, and there are indications it will continue to get worse. Does that count as a mass exodus?

1. Most western countries are now flat or declining. This has not happened since the fallout after 1975 and in that case it only lasted a couple of years. This is a much deeper and enduring trend.

2. shepherdless has demonstrated that JWs are getting older. This change has occurred over the last 10 to 20 years and is highly significant because increasing age profiles of religions are invariably followed by declines in adherents. And the speed and extent of JW aging population is pretty dramatic, even when compared with data for such steeply declining religions as Methodism and Anglicanism in the UK. From having millions of adherents in 1950, on current trends there will be no Methodists left in the UK by 2050. In fact probably sooner than that. (I think 2033 was the estimate one sociologist gave)

3. It is harder than ever for JWs to actually believe JW teachings: 1914 is over a hundred years ago, overlapping generation makes no sense, the faithful slave teaching is changing and looks self serving and increasingly neurotic. And this comes at a time when all these issues, and others, are readily exposed online in many formats. JWs may have a talent for believing unlikely things, but even they may increasingly struggle with the burden of absurdities. Young people in particular.

4. Society itself is becoming increasingly secular and liberal. And it is becoming increasingly difficult for young JWs to maintain positions such as creationism and opposition to LGBT equality, in the face of evidence and prevailing opinion. Most don't think it's worth the bother and so most young JWs now leave the region.

5. Plus you've got the thousands of JWs who have been removed from bethel or special pioneers who have had monetary support removed.

Those are just a few factors. There are many more that indicate JWs are reaching a tipping point. The fact is that their growth is already the poorest it's been since 1975 and there are mulple indications it is going to get a whole lot worse. Does that count as a mass exodus?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit