Not a sympathizer

by Richard Oliver 130 Replies latest jw experiences

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I like pure facts.

Good Richard, you show some honest integrity and that's good for everyone for facts based on evidence leads to the truth, which usually is beneficial for all concerned.

Yes from time to time you do come across demeaning things about the WTS and its based solely on hearsay alone.

The Six Screens idiot was guilty of that all the time.

Adhering to information based on facts also supports intellectual honesty and there's usually no shortage of that.

• sparky1
    sparky1

"I like pure facts." - Richard Oliver

TRANSLATION:

"I like my facts!"

• steve2
    steve2

Richard, you generalise terribly. Most posters here would not even know who you are or what you say.

You exaggerate your impact and other posters' reactions.

Until your post, I had no thoughts about you whatsoever. Probably in less than a week I'll think Richard who? One of the biggest mistakes anyone of us anywhere can make is to over-estimate our impact on others and their reactions.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

And just as many people here will accuse Witnesses of just believing what Watchtower tells them is because they want it to be true, same thing that I have seen here and on other sites. Six Screens did a whole story that Watchtower spent 30+ million dollars on blimps so that they could get GB members from Warwick to Brooklyn fast. Without exception people on there believed it whole heartedly because they want to believe it is true no matter what. Lets take away the fact that Warwick to the city even by car is only 1 hour 15 minutes and they did not take into account that there is nowhere to park a blimp anywhere in NYC, and even if they were to park it at JFK, it would take an hour to get from Queens to Brooklyn. But it is what they wanted to believe that Watchtower is this evil organization that has spent millions of dollars on this luxury.

You just don't get it. The WT is a self-centered cocky careless organization. If you like facts, you stop trying to portrait us as people who want to demonize it, and instead look at the facts that we present to you to prove what that entity is. It is evil, it does cause harm to people. I can't care less about Warwick or whether they flourish or perish. The WT has caused harm to people. People have died because of them. They have made people let loved ones die over the blood thing, intervenes with people's decisions about career, marriage, medical decisions, who they should marry, who they can talk to, what music they can listen to, and all simply and exclusively for enriching themselves. They do nothing, absolutely nothing at all for any of the communities where they exist and have congregations.

The WT is bad.

There are legitimate things that people on here and former JWs have concerns over without manipulating what is said or trying to pass off opinion as a fact.

According to who?

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Hello Richard, if you are not a sympathizer, surely you can express some of the things you do not agree about Watchtower. Obviously, that organization is not perfect. Hence, you should be able to point out a few things that are truely troublesome about it. Please, enlighten us!

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I have found most people on here to be clear when they are spouting opinion and clear when they are stating facts and are happy to provide clarification if there is any confusion between the two.

No examination of WT can be made without at least some speculation simply because WT is not a very transparent organization, their elder's rule book is secret from members and so are their finances.

As far as jokes, irony, hyperbole, sarcasm and parody directed at WT is concerned it helps let off steam - so what?

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Richard, will you list a few things that troubles you with the Watchtower? Or will you simply try to ignore this question and keep on defending the Watchtower on every other threads?

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

I don't like the fact that I couldn't be gay and be a witness. I had some wonderful boyfriends and wish that I could have dated them while being a witness. I do believe that some things can be brought more out in the open and not everything has to be done in just letters to BOEs but can be brought to the attention of everyone in a congregation. I don't like the way that the broadcast has "Christian Rock" at the end of their broadcasts. Thos are just to name a few of the things.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Great! Admitting some of the things that are indeed wrong with the Watchtower is the first step to have some credibility. So, I guess that indeed you are not a sympathizer.

That being said, just be careful not to defend ideas right or wrong. If you try to remain as factual as possible, you may be surprised to learn that you initial thoughts were wrong.

For instance, I used to believe that Jehovah's Witnesses were not homophobic, that is, until I saw the BOE letter making a big case of tight pants and a talk by our favorite Tony Morris III!

Good luck to you.

• Mad Irishman
    Mad Irishman

Richard,

Some people on here have such hatred built up in their heart they cannot see the forest for the trees. Try to rationalize something or disagree with them (like each of us can't have our own opinion or believe something slightly different) and they start to act just like the so-called crazy, evil witnesses that they say were so controlling and who ruined their life. To then come on here, or any ex-witness forum for that matter, and act like everything has to be only one way is rather strange and hypocritical.

If you don't believe that JW's are Nazi Germany in disguise then you will be beat senseless with hatred by people who are supposed to be on your own side; and no evidence, stats, or reasoning will do even if it is 100% percent verifiable.

We live in a new age where people just go around trying to affirm what they already believe whether it is right or wrong or downright crazy; and anyone who disagrees with them is the enemy and "bad."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit