Bonsai Kitty

by suzi mayhem 84 Replies latest jw friends

• riz
    riz

Yikes Dark Clouds,

your post was a joke like the bonsai kitty is a joke too, right?

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving should not be your sport of choice.

• larc
    larc

Hey dark guy,

I like cats. Would you like to exchange recipes?

• dark clouds
    dark clouds

this board comes in handy jez thanks for the tip. . .

my anger is rooted in the fact no one seems to be bothered by the animal cruelty implied
    and simply brush it off as a parody. . .

the only person that set it straight without attacking was RHW
    (thanks RHW)
    afterwards it went downhill go back and check it if you will
    the name calling began way before i called alan a fat fuckwit

seeker :
    again it took outside sources to reveal it as a joke
    but many servers dropped it
    why
    because its pissing off a whole lot of people.
    and they chose to not be associated with it because of a potential loss of revenue

7006:
    since you adressed the issue. . . .
    i have been a vegetarian for 9 years
    but won't go the full route of vegan
    why? because
    my reasons are rooted in health and sanitation
    not because of animal cruelty involved in the killing of the animals
    that is another issue in itself

i stand behind the fact that animals products can nourish the body
    but i believe we have a choice as to what we put into it

i rather not put anything in to my body that has been dead
    i dont conform to the idea that we are vegetarians or carnivores
    as the extremes of the argument goes
    though some may argue differently
    humans are omnivores and we adapt
    i made a choice years ago for several reasons which are irrelevant to the discussion at hand

i am by no means a fanatic
    nor an extremist
    but
    i do not condone exploitation
    involved with the raising of animals for their
    furs and such
    raising the animals to kill them for their hide
    is vain and inhumane, IMO
    but
    to say that i should stop wearing leather sneakers or jackets or pants
    is silly
    because the leather can be stripped off of the animal after it has died naturally or if there was a purpose for its death.

if the fur used for coats was stripped after the death of the animal hey up the price and supply and demand would apreciate
    but to have a mink farm and kill them before their time
    again i donot condone
    because of the vanity and cruelty involved
    wait for their death. . .

when it comes to cows
    they are used for food
    granted
    the animal is dead use it for its resources
    besides the leather comes from the cows that have been slaughtered to maintain the meat industry
    so if it is already there
    why waste it

if i came across as if i were disgusted by the thought of a cat in a bottle
    it is because i am
    this board seems to pride itself on maintaining an intellectual level
    yet when someone disagrees with the majority it becomes a free for all on the opposer

i stand my ground as to why i am disgusted

---------------------------
    an analogy. . .
    for a second think the bottle as the WTBTS
    and you as the cat

seems to lose its humor . . .

this writer shares my perspective on the issue. . .

Bonsai Kitten Redux
    Satire or Simply Sick?

The Bonsai Kitten web site was created in December, 2000, supposedly as a joke among some college students at MIT. The site ostensibly extolled the "art form" of creating "Bonsai Kittens" in a glass jar, and purported to market those "cherished objets d'art," along with the torturous implements required to do-it-yourself. The prose describing the various techniques used in creating these "Bonsai Kittens" is written in an oily, unctuous manner, reminiscent of the way a pedophile would describe his misuse of his victim.

The webmaster of the site has made no effort to post a disclaimer on the site to the effect that it is a "joke," nor has he/she utilized approved Meta Tags to limit the access of children to the site. This individual hides behind phony NIC registration information, and doesn't have the courage to use his own name.

The original web site was hosted on its own domain, bonsaikitten.com, with a mirror site on the MIT server, and subsequently moved to three different servers, creating a "moving target" for protesters. These mirrored sites were evidently created with the intention of arousing both the ire of animal lovers and the twisted fantasies of deviates. That it has succeeded with both has become evident by ensuing events.

Protests by animal advocates, including the powerful HSUS, have succeeded in getting the site removed from MIT and two subsequent servers, but the site has resurfaced once again, this time on GeoCities.

The site has apparently acquired a cult following of people who find "humor" in the suggested torture of innocent animals. Several of these followers have created their own "Bonsai Kitten" mirror sites, along with message boards which extoll the site as some kind of martyr to free speech. In response to the anonymous emails I've received from some of those self-righteous people, I will only say that labeling something as "black humor," "satire," or "parody" does not make it funny, nor does it make it "okay" to attempt to legitimize cruelty to animals by so labelling it. By the same token, labeling animal advocates as "humorless Nazis, "fools," or "prudes," only harms their chances of a sympathetic audience and adds nothing to their message. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though, and this site has elicited extreme reactions from both sides of the fray.

Those who ridicule the idea that other sickos will get ideas from this site, are apparently unaware (or simply don't care) that many serial killers first practice as children, by torturing animals. Laugh all you want, but it is a very real possibility. Take a look at the history of Jeffrey Dahmer, Ted Bundy, David Berkowitz, and the young men behind the Columbine killings. We're not overreacting nor making this up, people. There have already been too many "copy-cat" atrocities committed against cats, and we don't need another new method of experimentation.

Freedom of speech is not the issue here. But if it was, we animal lovers have the same rights: to speak up against this site as being a desecration to the altar of free speech. Furthermore, web site hosts have the right to decide what material is appropriate for their sites. I would not support any governmental regulations to make this kind of site illegal, but I do support hosting companies' rights to ban certain material from their servers, and to close down sites which violate their user agreements.

In times long past, I occasionally laughed at "sick jokes."

I grew up.

Hopefully, someday, so will the creators and supporters of this site.

The permanent URL for this Guide Special is:
    http://cats.about.com/pets/cats/library/weekly/blbonsai.htm

i have a very twisted sense of humor but not at the expense of life

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

seven006 ROTFLMAO ohh man that is too funny HAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAH!!!! ohh my that is SOOOO Alan too hahhhaha. Great You Know impersonation hahahah I saved those, they will come back to haunt you Alan hahah!!

Ven

• Francois
    Francois

Well now Chuck, you seem to want it both ways. Either Guilani is a moral Nazi worthy only of your contempt or he's a life-saver for this issue you feel is a moral outrage.

To condemn the man for his moral position on the one hand, but be willing to use that facet of his moral Nazism in pursuit of something you're in favor of is nothing but hypocrisy pure and simple.

As far as I can tell Guilani has something you don't: public moral constancy. (And don't bother posting about his private marital situation. Not unless you also favor policing moral behaviors of individuals.)

Sorry Charlie, you can't have it both ways. One of the reasons we fled the Borg was hypocrisy. Remember?

Francois

• mommy
    mommy

Seven006,
    Hahah That is too funny! Thanks for bringing your artistic side over here on this forum.
    Larc and Tina,
    I totally agree with your comments on dark comedy, and putting it in that perspective, I can see why the kids from MIT did this site.

Of course it is gross and disgusting, but so is life. If people are offended by it they need to actually do something about it and become acitve in having them removed, not just stand there and complain. There is nothing I cannot stand worse than a person who is waving their hands and refuses to stand up and take up the battle.

Dark clouds,
    Honey..are you ok? I see you have just had an infantile tantrum. Perhaps a medication change?
    wendy

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

I personally think that rap artist Eminem should write a rap parody in his ever popular style to teach today's youth how to cram kittens into Mason jars.
    JIM
    (Can't Leave Well-Enough Alone Class)

• Seeker
    Seeker

"seeker :again it took outside sources to reveal it as a joke"

No, the site itself is a joke, and by reading the wording they used you can see it's a parody.

I'm against all cruelty, let alone to animals who don't know what's happening. But no animals were hurt here, which is why I can laugh. If animals actually were hurt, I'd be as outraged as you, cloud. As it is, no kittens were hurt any more than AlanF was hurt to make the pics in this thread.

• mommy
    mommy

SanfranJim,
    Hahaha You made me laugh.
    wendy

PS. I just wanted to say, I did not go to the site. I haven't even seen it. Personally I know what you have said it was and since I have no inclination to view it, I stayed away.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

My initial reaction when seeing websites like this is that the "jokers" should receive a shot in the head and an unmarked grave. But (taking a deep, calming breath), it is just a parody, and parody is not illegal.

However, should a bonsai kitty turn up in someones trash can in the future because a real sicko decided to try it out for real, then the web site creators should share in the consequences e.g jail time.

People should take responsibility for the results of the things they write and publish, after all.

Expatbrit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit