No more printing of WT and Awake in my country.. Shit just got real

by cognitivedizzy 121 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epoch_Times

If the WBTS wanted to save their publishing empire they could learn something from newspapers like this. Its free as well. They make their money off of advertising to keep themselves going.

The WBTS could do this as well but they would have to publish the truth so I have no worries about that happening.LOL

• committeechairman
    committeechairman

Just a note here. WTBTS could easily form another kind of legal entity to allow them to operate in India, they just will have to pay taxes on income. Instead of viewing this as a cost of preaching the good news, they folded. Gives some insight into the real motivations IMO.

CC

• sillygirlforgotpassword
    sillygirlforgotpassword

My sister, a special/regular pioneer in india (I can't ever remember which!) just confirmed that no magazines will be printed.

She was curious though about how I found out - whoops!

• done4good
    done4good

committeechariman-Just a note here. WTBTS could easily form another kind of legal entity to allow them to operate in India, they just will have to pay taxes on income. Instead of viewing this as a cost of preaching the good news, they folded. Gives some insight into the real motivations IMO.

Their business model does not support taxation. Taxation is 100% anathema to their ability to finance themselves. Remember what they did in 1990, with the so-called donation arrangement. Ironically, that "donation" arrangement is the very reason they are now having a host of other financial issues, however was initially done to avoid taxable status, which likely would have bankrupted them much shorter term.

d4g

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I don't think it ever occurred to the XJW community that the potential loss of tax-exempt status could actually cause serious problems for the Org...

...but the more you think about it, the harder it is to argue that their entire "business model" (as done4good put it) is very tightly adapted to said status.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

cognitivedizzy - "No more printing of WT and Awake in my country... Shit just got real..."

Ironic, considering the stuff being printed in the WT and Awake isn't real... :smirk:

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

There was a time when JW's risked their life and or were put into prison by taking magazines into places where the government didn't allow them. They considered the magazines their life line and without them they'd be in darkness. Nowadays, when it comes to the magazines or anything that was once considered of utmost importance, its as if the attitude is "oh well...c'est la vie ".

As it turns out the Witnesses from the past risked their lives smuggling literature full of what is now considered "old light". They are all gone now, so to most current JW's, it's as if never happened.

• sir82
    sir82

There was a time when JW's risked their life and or were put into prison by taking magazines into places where the government didn't allow them. Nowadays, they just say "oh well ".

Well, rank & file JWs, yeah.

Such are, and always will be, expendable.

What is untouchable? The money of the WT organization, and the comfort and prestige of its leaders. Anything threatening those things is immediately addressed.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    Vidiot: I don't think it ever occurred to the XJW community that the potential loss of tax-exempt status could actually cause serious problems for the Org...
    ---------------------
    ...but the more you think about it, the harder it is to argue that their entire "business model" (as done4good put it) is very tightly adapted to said status.

Haha- so much for divine wisdom guiding the Jovial witnesses. (or, any other brand of Christianity)

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

This thread is further evidence that money....not love of man or neighbor...is the motivation behind the operations of the WTBTS!

India is special, because no money from abroad is allowed, so the branch is on its own and can receive no contributions from NY.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit