Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Baker Who Refused to Bake Cake for Gay Couple

by Simon 286 Replies latest social current

• waton
    waton

good fences make good neighbours. just because I put up a fence does not mean I am prejudiced against my neighbour. but even if I am, and i might have good reason to be, it is my business. The right to abstain should be maintained. good for the Supremes. they have sung.

• recluse
    recluse

I would handle it like this:

Menu

Cake..................................$50

Cake with Man\Woman......$75

Cake with Man\Man............$150

Cake with Woman\Woman..$150

But then again, I don't agree with homosexual lifestyles but enjoy their money just the same

• cofty
    cofty
    If you're going to hate the gays just say so. It seems that many on this board share your thoughts. - ctwtf

Fuck of with your judgemental accusations.

Personally I would gladly make cakes for gay weddings and turn up and dance at the wedding and hug the groom and the other groom.

I DISAGREE with the position of the bakers but I think they have every right to take that position.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Don't agree with this ruling, a registered business open to the general public should not be able to withhold their business dealings to the public based wholly upon a person's sexual identity or religious identity.

That's what constitutional human rights is about when you hold a certain sexual identity or a certain religious identity.

ie. what if a Muslim owned a business and decided they didn't want to make a cake based upon the fact the purchaser was Christian or Jewish ?

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

Some people have been programed from a small infant that same sex unions are bad and that they must never be gay(sad but true) and so it would be against their conscience to make them a cake, why force the issue upon such people when you can get a cake at plenty of other places.

Every business has the right to refuse services to anyone they choose. No court is going to force service for such a ridiculous thing as baking a cake it's no life and death matter a little insulting yes but why make a mountain out a mole hill.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

So lets say a couple of the same sex married people went to a restaurant for dinner but the owner of the restaurant refused to serve them based upon the assumption or acceptance that they were gay ?

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard
    Don't agree with this ruling, a registered business open to the general public should not be able to withhold their business dealings to the public based wholly upon a person's sexual identity or religious identity.

A business open to the public should be able to do whatever it wants - whatever the property owners want. I would love the sexist, racist assholes to advertise themselves so I know where not to go.

Again, they shouldn’t descriminate. But if they do, it should not be the position of the government to compel labor by law. That is exactly slavery.

Punish the assholes by going to another store.

Don’t advocate for setting a precedent that gives the government a massive hammer to beat anyone down it doesn’t like - because the government is made up of the officials running it, and its a good bet at some point you will be on the hurting end of the power you originally thought was just peachy.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

The government is us, dude: we the people.

• Simon
    Simon
    So lets say a couple of the same sex married people went to a restaurant for dinner but the owner of the restaurant refused to serve them based upon the assumption or acceptance that they were gay?

Completely different situation. The restaurant is serving meals and they are asking for the same meals that other patrons are asking for so should be served.

How is it difficult to grasp that this is different?

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard
    The government is us, dude: we the people.

Do you think that if you give people a bunch of power, they turn into angels? The Colorado law that started this case is a great example. Heck, Jim Crow is another.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit