Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Baker Who Refused to Bake Cake for Gay Couple

by Simon 286 Replies latest social current

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

God dammit, _Morpheus..................I've told you already, STOP trying to be a voice of reason and moderation! I am beginning to think that you are not a very nice person.

I thought that was obvious. Morpheus is a shit disturber.

(Morph -- that was said in the most admiring way possible.)

• Simon
    Simon
    What if the couple was black? And, the baker was a white supremacist who sincerely believes that the Bible condemns the black race

To decide if that should or shouldn't be allowed, simply reverse it - if the white guy wanted a cake decorate with the Confederate flag and the black baker didn't want to make one, should they be compelled?

The best, sanest thing is to allow anyone to refuse any service as long as it's custom. What you can't do is refuse to sell someone something that you are willing to sell to others simply because you don't like some identifiable trait. So, you can refuse to bake and decorate a cake to someone's specification but you can't refuse to sell them a pre-made cake that is on sale in your store.

However, you can have other rules which can be imposed on customers on your premises which may be todo with dress (shirts must be worn) or other attire (no helmets / face-masks). Again, as long as they are applied equally and to all.

The only time someone should be compelled by the government to provide service is when that service is meant to be provided by the government. So, the religiot that was refusing to issue gay marriage licenses should lose her job and be marched out because that is her job to do that and if she doesn't find her conscious allows her to do that she should find another job.

But even then, the employer should find alternative employment in the same way that a Muslim stewardess refusing to serve alcohol on a flight would be allowed to keep her job. If the private company would be prosecuted for firing someone who won't / can't do their job, then the government should have the same standards applied to it.

• waton
    waton

find another baker, it is discriminatory to pick one that objects. The rain bow persons are the most gifted, artistic, in my experience.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

The media and talk shows everywhere had a virtue signalling field day with this story, going full on "homophobe" shaming mode at the time. It became the go-to example of the essence of true homophobia that's been a running "meme" ever since.

What will they say now?

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

My vote: maximum private property rights. No compelled service, no matter what. Compelled service is, by definition, slavery.

Note: this works fine for government workers, or any worker for that matter. You agree to your employers rules when you take the job.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Any hint of racism will hsve it's consequences here in America. Ask Rosannne, her writers and crew.

And apologies won't help much....no matter how seemingly sincere.

Free to speak....but not free to choose the consequences in the court of public opinion.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

America is slipping into a scary place.

Freedom seems to mean - everyone should believe what I believe - to a large group of racist xenophobic people.

I left the WT to be free of that thinking.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I remember driving down the highway with my 5 year old son. He asked, "Did you hear that?" I didn't hear anything but the noise of the tires on pavement. A few moments later he asked, "Did you hear that?" No I answered.

"OH GOOD, he replied "I can think what I want!!!

And that's when my problems started.

• Simon
    Simon
    Freedom seems to mean - everyone should believe what I believe - to a large group of racist xenophobic people.

Quite the opposite. Unless you take part in the leftist groupthink you are attacked and woe betide anyone who stands up and says "this isn't right".

Question the dogma and you are an alt-right nazi bigot ... you've just given us a perfect example of the kind of behavior.

Has anyone posted anything racist or xenophobic about this ruling? or anything homophobic? and yet you start flinging labels about ...

Freedom is being able to say that we don't have to put up with or go along with that crap.

No one is forcing anyone to buy or not buy gay wedding cakes, and yet the people who want to force people to comply with them are accusing the people who won't of being the intolerant ones.

• ctrwtf
    ctrwtf
    There is nothing to suggest the bakers hate gays. They have a moral objection to gay marriage and prefer not to offer their services to a gay wedding ceremony.

This is just homophobic doublespeak. If you're going to hate the gays just say so. It seems that many on this board share your thoughts.

I do agree that people should act on their conscience and not be forced to do anything they do not wish to do. They should also own up to their prejudices and be prepared to face the consequences or lack thereof.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit