Biblical incidents that bothered me.

by EverApostate 56 Replies latest watchtower bible

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

I wanted to discuss the (supposed) Biblical Events that disturbed me a lot when I was a JW. These incidents were just read and discussed in the Kingdom Hall as if these are normal and justified, which clearly weren't. Perhaps this led to my awakening. Did any of you feel the same? Now I know that most of these events are just imagination and could possibly never have happened. But as a JW we were conditioned to believe that these were real.

Big J killing the First born of all Egyptians because Pharaoh didn’t oblige

Slaves can be beaten, provided they don’t die

Children Mauled to Death by bears, because they made fun of Elisha

Big J kills 70,000 people because David took a census

Uzziah killed instantly by Big J, because he prevented the ark from Falling

Daniel's accusers and all their family thrown to the Lions. (Why the Family??)

• Half banana
    Half banana

Good points EA, now you mention it, it was disturbing. I used to wince and metaphorically shake my head at these atrocities but stupidly accepted that's what it was like back then.

JWs are taught not to bring their brain into the KH..............

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

Half banana,

Glad to see I wasn't alone.

Also, even as a zealot., I never believed the greatest slaughter of all - "Noahs flood" - ever really happened, That is why I never mentioned that.

• moreconfusedthanever
    moreconfusedthanever

The die hard JWs will say "these things seem harsh to us but we do not see as Jehovah sees and he does everything out of love".

The Uzziah one bothers me the most. No chance to say sorry, no consideration given to his being a mere human and acting on reflex, nothing.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate
    moreconfusedthanever,
    yes the Uzziah incident almost instigated me to scream .... Oh Holy God .. isn't this a great injustice.
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

Killed first born. (Ex.12:23 )Who is the destroyer that God will not allow to come into their homes? Slaves beaten. (Ex. 21:26-27) Slaves can escape death if their tooth is knocked out by their master, they can go free. Elisha: God is bald so He took offense.. Uzziah: We can be thankful that God don't do to us what he did to Uzziah when we commit our very first sin. And Daniel's a little excessive revenge by GOD, but we must remember young immature children ripped apart for teasing a bald head man. My grandkids rub my bald head and my friends and family tease me about my baldness and not once have ever thought about calling down bears from the foothill....

• EverApostate
    EverApostate
    James Mixon, Thanks for elaborating. Your last point was funny.
  • VW.org
    VW.org

The unedited version of Jepthah's daughter where she was offered up to Jehovah in the form of a burnt crisp.

I thought god would be more loving than that.

GOD IS LOVE.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

I read up on Jepthah's daughter after readig CofC. How other translatations read is that yes, she was burnt to a crisp. How awful but how deceitful of WT to make it seem nothing "bad" happened to her. Being cremated, sacrificed by one's own father for his own personal reasons, is pretty disgusting. Not fair to her at all!

Lot's wife bothered me. It is only natural to look back, especially when someone tells you not to. No understanding second chance for her!

But Lot can get drunk and have sex with his two (2) daughters. (When fleeing to the mountains... How many casks of wine does one take... on how many donkeys... So did they flee to a certain spot where there was clean drinking water for people and fodder for the animals and wood to keep warm and enough to cook food? They did bring food and blankets, and fire starter, right?).

Lot is good but wife is bad? Not fair! She is probably the one that packed up the donkeys. Isn't packing always left to the wife? No consideration at all!

Uzziah too. Not fair!

• All or nothing
    All or nothing

The census account always bothered me for 2 reasons:

shouldnt David have paid the price, not the people?

also- isn't us being forced to turn in time - the same as this census thing?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit