Ladies First

by snugglebunny 70 Replies latest jw friends

• just fine
    just fine

I am a woman, I work in an executive position for an international company. I always smile and say thank you when someone holds the door for me.

I have had great success by implementing “if you want to be treated equally you have to act equal.” I was fortunate early in my career to have mentors give me advice on how to successfully navigate being a woman in a male dominated business.

And for the pay gap, I believe part of it at least at my level, is that women don’t negotiate their compensation packages nearly as often as men do. One of my male mentors told me to never accept the first offer even if I’m happy with it. Negotiating for pay makes me uncomfortable, but I have never had a company reject my counter offer to their salary/benefits-package.

• blondie
    blondie

I just want the person who gets to the door first to hold it open for the person just behind them, not just let it slam in their face. I have a walking disability and not all doors have a handicapped button, some open the door for me and some let it slam in my face, even when I have a cane.

So if I'm to the door first, I hold it open for men if they are the person right behind me, I don't let it slam in their face.

Courtesy is not a gender-based quality.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    If a woman challenged me for doing the gentlemanly thing for her ,she would get a mouthful from me as to what sort of person she is.

I can't help but wonder how thin that shiny veneer of gentleman-ness is if it comes of as soon as a (mere?) woman challenges the gentleman.

PS: I'm probably reading more into that sentence than the writer intended, but without knowing him I have to go by what he wrote.

• waton
    waton

I always get smiles from ladies I hold the door for them, and I will, even with being 90 next year, rush to do that. What gets me those smiles?

I say quickly: " Men are selfish, they will do any thing to be able to look at a good looking lady longer," never met a feminist at the doors. really!.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Just to be fair I always say, "ladies first" to men as well...but only to the men who are shorter than me.

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

Agree with LoveUniHateExams

Experiencing something and just hearing,reading watching is never equal to living it.

Courtesy is never gender based.

Zing

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    LUHE Western feminists literally have no idea about genuine oppression.
    😜😂😂😂Have you forgotten what forum you are on?!! I genuinely think female jehovahs witnesses are very demeaned. They not only put up with embarrassing levels of chauvinism ( cannot hold a mic, witness Samuel Herds “small brains” speech) but to add insult to injury they expected to be the work horses of the outfit, so they get the worst of both worlds.
    yes we do, we can read history books

Yes and We dont even have to resort to that! My grandmother won a scholarship ( in Britain where these things are very rare) and her parents wouldn’t let her take it being told “ education is wasted on girls”. My great grandmother was not allowed to vote until she was 30 and I knew her well.
  • cofty
    cofty

Diog - "workhorses"?

There is no pressure and very low expectations on JW females. I agree that is demeaning but nothing compared to being a male in the cult.

Imagine being an elder with a family. You are expected to lead FS, attend lengthy elder's meetings, visit others and listen patiently to their endless complaints and personal issues, provide marriage guidance to the usual suspects for the hundredth time, prepare multiple talks and assignments every week, take a lead in hall cleaning and maintenance etc etc. In addition you have to study with your family, provide for recreation (when exactly?) and work full time.

The biggest complaint any female has is that they are not allowed to do any of that bullshit.

• LV101
    LV101

I don't know why any female (or male) would be weighed down with JW crazy -- except when under the magic cult spell.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3
    Anders Andersen

When i wrote that I was thinking of an experience where a woman using foul language abused a man for doing the polite thing and opening a door for her .

I do respect women who are women that dont use fowl language when a man tries to do the right thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit