1995 generation change

by Gorb 122 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

LongHairGal,

Hey, thanks so much for your comments..

While I strived so hard in 1995 to change from a job to a career, I finally got into a great career that I love in 2000 and am looking at retirement in 2027. Further, the career was a huge factor in helping me out of the cult. So when I look back at that Generation Change, it was the first step out the door.

I can say with confidence that had I still been there, the "overlapping generation" teaching would have had me laugh out loud with curses during the Watchtower study and say "I am outta here!" and walked out at that very moment.

• waton
    waton
    Obviously, the millions that died of old age and other causes believing they would live into the Millennium were not part of the GC to begin with since being part of the GC described in Revelation means surviving into the new order. — So if you make it into the Millennium a person is of the GC if the JW dies beforehand, he is OS.

Fm: just bumping this up, because in today's wt study #30, "Place in J's family",

wt makes the deliberate mistake again to call today's jws "The great Crowd", when the real thing might be, according to the overlap timing, not be known for over 50 years, After the GT, in 2075. and

wt is still sticking to the 7000 year rest day, by twisting the scriptures to imply the final test is "at the end" within the millenium instead of "after the 1000 years are ended" just a few verses on,

revelation has harsh words for practitioners of such tactics.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

That generation change really caused me to change my outlook on my employment situation. I had "jobs" until then. I figured the end was so close and I didn't sweat about the future.

Sadly, I see so many JW's who still live like that. I think of one couple, now in their 60's, who have refinanced their home numerous times. Each time they pay of credit cards and buy new furnishings and take a vacation but end up with a higher mortgage that they think they will never have to pay off. And they are correct about it in one way........

They think Armageddon will bail them out on the mortgage so they won't have to pay it off, but in reality they will simply die in debt -- but at least they won't have to pay it off.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

DESIROUSOFCHANGE:

Yes, it is certainly true there are JWs with the mentality that they can accumulate debt like the couple you mention. They figure Armageddon will come so they won’t need to worry about paying it.

But, isn’t this a repeat of what supposedly happened before the 1975 fiasco? History is repeating itself yet again. Except the couple you mention at least have a house they can keep refinancing with! So, at least somebody isn’t going around with an envelope asking money for THEM at least.

What about JWs who unwisely sold their homes and lived off the proceeds because they figured Armageddon would come before the money ran out and now they are broke? Also, what about those who dropped out of the workforce before retirement age to go live in some nice place or where the ‘need was greater’ and they ran out of money?? ..These are all in addition to the usual run-of-the-mill JWs in congregations who lived on the edge pioneering and didn’t plan for the future. I don’t even need to get into other JWs with serious ‘issues’ who may never have worked at all..but who were brought into the religion in recent decades.

There are entirely TOO MANY needy people in the JW religion..practically most of which put themselves in this position because they believed they didn’t need to work or plan for their future the way normal people in the world do..Somebody like me who was knocked for doing just that would have to be Out of My Mind to even want to be around these people and the self-made disaster they are in.

• Simon
    Simon
    They think Armageddon will bail them out on the mortgage so they won't have to pay it off, but in reality they will simply die in debt -- but at least they won't have to pay it off.

Hopefully they are a childless couple. Not that you should rely on your parents passing anything on to you, but to have them live in a financially reckless way due to an outside influence that they chose to follow without thinking is likely disheartening and something many only discover after their parents pass away. Or worse, will become a burden to their children in later life.

For any boomer to die in debt represents a massive failure in good life choices, because they really were handed a favourable system (to them) on a plate.

• Gorb
    Gorb

The opposite, my father invested since 1970 his money in bricks, just like me. He got a lot of comments in the local congregation because it was not done for the rank and file in the 70's, a sign of spiritual weakness.

G.

• Rafe
    Rafe

Lets face it JWS got sold a sock full dreams of delusional bullshit, many have personally suffered in adhering to those dreams,

Mind you the GB heads did well, they still got the vast amount of money and power

• Listener
    Listener

Watson - "just bumping this up, because in today's wt study #30, "Place in J's family",

wt makes the deliberate mistake again to call today's jws "The great Crowd", when the real thing might be, according to the overlap timing, not be known for over 50 years, After the GT, in 2075. "

Was this part of the point that TD was making and the great hole in their teaching that still continues? That is, for decades the OS have been considered as members of the Great Crowd when they should never have been considered as such and as you point out Waton, they still continue to do so in their recent Watchtower.

Even now, with the new overlapping teaching of the generation means that they have provided a window up until approximately 2075 for Armageddon, meaning that millions of JWs today may not see Armageddon and therefore have no chance of being part of the GC. Saying that they have the prospect of being a member of the GC is one thing but saying they are part of the GC is not correct.

Did the article refer to today's JWs as the GC or potential members of the GC?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

SIMON:

I agree with you that the Baby Boomers at least here in the US had a very favorable situation when they were young with regard to jobs and careers in comparison with today.. Now you’ve got college kids who can’t find a job.

Back then, a person could get a decent position with benefits even without college. I even heard of one or two high school dropouts who managed and are retired now!

The point being that JW Baby Boomers in too many instances threw away their chances for basic security in senior years with both hands ..daydreaming about the ‘new system’! And I am not talking about fabulous riches either:..I’m talking about basic Social Security and even a modest IRA or pension plan to live on. This is so scary to think about it makes me ill.

This is why I’m glad I resisted attempts by older hypocrites with cushy lives pushing poverty for young naive people.

• waton
    waton
    Did the article refer to today's JWs as the GC or potential members of the GC?

Listener: Par 19: "If you belong to the "great crowd", you have a wonderful prospect. ---" Jws will take that to mean the now, belonging at present to the already existing "great crowd", but as the wt writer says, that is an iffy proposition,the mean reason that there is no confirmed "great crowd" now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit