1995 generation change

by Gorb 122 Replies latest jw friends

• waton
    waton
    I see no mention in any of the four gospels where Pilate the Italian gentile

Actftu: I stand corrected, thank you. generations of all different people run concurrently, nevertheless.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    The generation meaning has to be a group of people and not a time period.

I don’t see much of difference in the context of the return of Christ.

• waton
    waton
    I don’t see much of difference in the context of the return of Christ.

Fm: right, when the generation mentioned by Jesus passes on, after the big destruction, time will be up.

• Acluetofindtheuser
    Acluetofindtheuser

I think the clue to the end of it all is when Jesus is identified as the son of man. The apostles asked him the three questions while sitting on the mound of olives:

Matthew 24

1. When will these things be? - Throwing down of the physical temple.

2. Sign of your presence - Where he is not to be found anywhere but his influence is more like the lightning effect.

3. Conclusion of the system of things - When he comes as the son of man in the heavens and when the powers of the heavens are shaken.

Luke 17:22 records Jesus as saying this statement to his apostles, "Days will come when you will desire to see one of the days of the son of man, but you will not see it."

My understanding from this scripture is that those who heard Jesus say these words will not be around when he comes in power as the son of man in his second coming. These people were alive when he ascended into the clouds but they never witness his return. I can only assume that word "generation" is not the right word to use in Matthew 24:34. it should be replaced with the term Jewish Nation. I guess this labels me an apologetic in trying to make sense of the bible. So be it.

• waton
    waton
    Regarding your interpretation of the Bible, there are many interpretations. We have to wait and see how everything plays out.

Fisher man, My only hope is, that whatever is valid in the scriptures Rev 11:18 will happen. NIV: "-- Lord God-- you will destroy those destroying the Earth.", before it is too late and Isaiah 40 :31 " those that hope-- will soar on wings like eagles.".

In the meantime it it is good to take note how wt doctrines , prophecies are unfulfillable.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

The two groups are considered to be identical (or nearly so) in the Christian era

TD

This is true. Even now, older ones still figure they are part of the Great Crowd and haven’t thought about it and don’t comprehend they were never part of the GC. It was always taught or believed to be true that JW were part of the GC unless they died for some reason. Even the classification prospective member of the great crowd was interpreted as: that although they were part of the crowd, it depended on not dying before the GT. So, JW believe they are part of the GC because they believe the end will come in their life time and if the end doesn’t or didn’t come in their lifetime or died of other caused, they were prospective members. The Insight Book definition I quoted in a previous post clarifies the identity of the great crowd—to be compared with personal and other beliefs. But if you are looking for a major wt study article explaining the whole thing, JW don’t do things like that. Sometimes they do but sometimes wt gradually or subtly makes change such as the Awake article on earthquakes as sign of the last days and the Insight Book explaining the length of a creative yom.

As Slim pointed out though, the doctrine is that the GC survives into the Millennium. A conclusion derived from the doctrine is that JW are part of the GC even before the great tribulation because “logically” the gc could not have appeared out of nowhere. But I agree TD, JW OS after 1935 have always believed they we’re GC.

• waton
    waton

But if you are looking for a major wt study article explaining the whole thing, JW don’t do things like that. Sometimes they do but sometimes wt gradually or subtly makes change such as the Awake article on earthquakes

FM. yes to be precise, it was on page 31 of the April 15 wt mag. 1995 (to answer Proton's earlier question page 1). I still have it pasted in my 1984 study NWT. to show speakers that they are not following wt new light protocol. made me very popular.

• Rafe
    Rafe

But keep in mind folks that those who control or make their own doctrines, actively lure in and control the people.

Thats why the JWS leaders never sought out collaboration and backing support from other knowledgeable and trained bible theologians.

"This Generation" revision is flawed not only from its own derivative, its also flawed because its based from another flawed doctrine which is 1914.

One should always keep in mind that the WTS's doctrines were ideologically contrived in support of literature proliferation, not particularly in truthful and accurate scriptural interpretation.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

So even now, teaching that living JW are not part of the Great Crowd because they may die of old age goes against JW beliefs

because although JW may have been wrong in the past about OS that died of old age being part of the GC, today’s OS are part of the great crowd because the end is believed to come in their lifetime so OS=GC —unless they die.

• waton
    waton

The wt's 1995 Great Crowd Hope idea can be illustrated as water particles that are lifted in a moving tidal wave, with high hopes, to crest, but that sinking low, , disappear in the froth, as the wave passes along in time. Only when the wave gets caught behind the breakwater, in the tidal pool, will it become the retained mass of the "great crowd,"

The wave energy is the wt push for prosylation, service, service. service.

preaching of empty promises. the next promise is the resurrection, but is it more believable than the failed fleeting first high hope of becoming part of the Great Crowd?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit