1995 generation change

by Gorb 122 Replies latest jw friends

• waton
    waton

copied this from the good Jwfacts site: bold added. From this teachings of Jesus you can see that wt is wrong about the generation, because

wt teaches, the generation will start in 1914, end at Armageddon. but below, read Mathew again: The generation survives Armageddon, does not pass away until all has occurred, but dies afterward. Quibbling about the overlap should be over, the second fulfillment idea of the generation itself is finished.

"Remember, Jesus said of those living through the last days, starting in 1914: "Truly I say to you that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur." (Matthew 24:34) Yes, peace will really come within this generation but not through the nations' efforts." Watchtower 1991 Apr 15 p.7

1995 - Worldly People for an Unlimited Period

• hoser
    hoser

I was guilted into getting baptized in the 80s because that generation was getting soooo old. In 95 was when a lot (including me) started to question. Then when they changed it again to the overlapping generation it was verifiable bullshit.

• waton
    waton

"Remember, Jesus said of those living through the last days, starting in 1914: "Truly I say to you that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur." (Matthew 24:34) Yes, peace will really come within this generation but not through the nations' efforts." Watchtower 1991 Apr 15 p.7

1995 - Worldly People for an Unlimited Period

an unlimited period could have started at pentecost, or 1914, then, overlap is implied. Splane limited it to 2 life spans of anointed centenarians. 2 x 100 = 200, minus 2 overlaps of 20 years = 160, plus 1914,= 2074 plus I year of training of the new arrival in heaven for combat, 2075 as the new wt Armageddon date.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

waton, though Matthew chapter 24 mentions the great tribulation it technically doesn't mention Armageddon. Verses 29-31 seem to describe events (including the darkness and later the appearance of the Son of Man on the clouds) which Revelation claims happens just before the start of Armageddon (but it is hard to correlate Revelation with Matthew chapter 24). See Revelation 8:12 and 19:11-21 in conjunction with Revelation 16:10, 14-16 and Matthew 24:29-31.

I started to seriously question the WT/JW religion shortly before the generation teaching change in 1995, namely when the WT discussed the sense of Christ coming in glory as king and in the sense of his coming in glory during his coming in judgement. That is because after I read the WT say that I then very carefully read Matthew 24 - 25 (without using any interpretations from the WT) and I then realized that (according to Matthew 24 - 25) his coming as king is at essentially the same time he comes in glory to execute judgment (see Matthew 24:30 and 25:31), and thus according to the Bible he did not become king in 1914 C.E.. It was also about that time that the WT said that the Great Crowd doesn't t exist till after the Great Tribulation has ended (though most of the who make up the group will exist prior to then).

The WT's new teaching in 1995 about the generation further caused me to seriously question the WT, but by that time I had already began to think independently of the WT. Finally, around the year 2000 or 2001 I ceased virtually all meeting attendance at the Kingdom Hall.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

PROGRESSIVE WATCHTOWER LIGHT (from 1968-present) ON “THIS GENERATION”

In 1968 the youngest of the 1914 generation were 15 years old.

"Jesus was obviously speaking about those who were old enough to witness with understanding what took place when the 'last days' began. ... Even if we presume that youngsters 15 years of age would be perceptive enough to realize the import of what happened in 1914, it would still make the youngest of 'this generation' nearly 70 years old today." (Awake! Oct 8, 1968 p13)

In 1978 the youngest of the 1914 generation were clearly not babies

"Thus, when it comes to the application in our time, the "generation" logically would not apply to babies born during World War I. It applies to Christ's followers and others who were able to observe that war and the other things that have occurred in fulfillment of Jesus' composite "sign."" (Watchtower Oct 1, 1978 p31)

In 1980 the youngest of the 1914 generation were revised to 10 year olds.

"As indicated by an article on page 56 of U.S. News & World Report of January 14, 1980, "If you assume that 10 is the age at which an event creates a lasting impression on a person's memory," then there are today more than 13 million Americans who have a "recollection of World War I."" (Watchtower Oct 15, 1980 p31)

In 1984 the youngest of the 1914 generation were reduced to babies.

"If Jesus used "generation" in that sense and we apply it to 1914, then the babies of that generation are now 70 years old or older. And others alive in 1914 are in their 80's or 90's, a few even having reached a hundred. There are still many millions of that generation alive." (Watchtower May 15, 1984 p5)

In 1988 the youngest were babies that were born in 1914

"Likewise today, most of the generation of 1914 has passed away. However, there are still millions on earth who were born in that year or prior to it." (Watchtower April 8, 1988 p14)

In 1995 age no longer was a factor in determining the 1914 generation

Rather than provide a rule for measuring time, the term “generation” as used by Jesus refers principally to contemporary people of a certain historical period, with their identifying characteristics.” – Watchtower Nov 1, 1995, p.20.

Finally in 2010 the 1914 generation overlaps.

“How, then, are we to understand Jesus’ words about “this generation”? He evidently meant that the lives of the anointed who were on hand when the sign began to become evident in 1914 would overlap with the lives of other anointed ones who would see the start of the great tribulation. That generation had a beginning, and it surely will have an end. The fulfillment of the various features of the sign clearly indicate that the tribulation must be near. By maintaining your sense of urgency and keeping on the watch, you show that you are keeping up with advancing light and following the leadings of holy spirit.—Mark 13:37.“ Watchtower 04/15, 2010 Article: Holy Spirit’s Role in the Outworking of Jehovah’s Purpose

• Gorb
    Gorb

I just read the november 1, 1995 magazine and read the article including questions from readers.

Remembering how they blamed indivuals believing and speculating about time frames, building a firewall for the organization.

(Later on Splane made a new timeframe, The Fred Franz lifetime parameter.)

In 1995, I, 4th generation member, became cynical, somehow depressive and started thinking, leading to higher education. Now, 20 years later i'm happy about that.

Jw wife and children are now free too.

It took a lot of pain and headache, all my dna was shaken and stirred.

We had discussions, read Ray Franz and others, and then came the internet, Hourglass2, xjw.com and jwd. Our own watchtower Berlin Wall came down.

And then came 9/11.

• waton
    waton
    Matthew chapter 24 mentions the great tribulation it technically doesn't mention Armageddon. DJW:

imho, yes it does! because:

verse 34 describes the generation that will pass away after the end. before that,

verse 21 marks an event of greater destruction than the Deluge (cited again later) , Sodom & Gomorrah, or will ever occur again, so bigger than the post-millenium fire from heaven. therefore, that definition only fits Armageddon. ergo,

"all these things" of verse 34 must include Armageddon, and the generation according to verse 34 survives it, to die later.

Only one group of individuals fit those parameters: the Armageddon survivors that die in the final rebellion, ~ 1040 years from now.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I was already out (wife and I left in 1988). When I heard about the change I wondered why everybody didn't just get up and walk out. Just proves that some people can't think.

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

They didn't have to change it! There are still at least 50 people worldwide born before 1914 (actually, probably several hundred):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_oldest_living_people

• zachias
    zachias

Jeff T.

I think it was Edison who said,

"5% of people think, 10% think they think and the remaining 85% are scared to death if they have to think."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit