The increasing WT magazine

by darkspilver 39 Replies latest jw friends

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Hi slimboyfat

I don't think they count downloads do they?

Why not? Downloads are counted as placements nowadays on the WT report form at the end of each month....

Anecdotally there are comments that they're progressively priniting less each month - yet figures above claim an annual increase - so it would kinda make sense if downloads were included (and they know which magazine issues are being downloaded - so they could do a fair estimate, but of course there will be a few publishers doing multiple downloads of the same magazine on various devices (including app)

• steve2
    steve2

Interesting they say produced instead of printed. I wonder how much of that number includes downloads?

Yes, my question as well, Doubting Bro.

As former JWs, we ought to know better than becoming mesmerized by their figures.

There is no way there are that many hard copies of that tract (it really is no longer a magazine) floating around or stored away to rot.

My guess is each time someone clicks on jw. org to read the magaizne, it counts as one copy. So if you click it for immediate reading but don't save it to your platform, the next time you want to read it, you have to go through the process all over again and it counts as another copy and so on.

It's like Youtube views - each time you watch your favourite Youtube videos, you increase the viewer numbers - even though you are the same person viewing it multiple times.

Time was when you purchased a single magazine and used it over and over - but it still counted as just one magazine, Nowadays, depending on your viewing and storing habits, your one magazine can end up representing several views or "copies" by you alone. Thus these big numbers are not really that impressive at all.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Smoke and mirrors. They have to continually find ways to show they are relevant in a changing more informed world, and that they are growing to keep up appearances.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

2017: Produced Each Issue: 61,651,000

That means every JW -- all 8 million -- are each receiving 8 issues of the Ragazine for placement? NFW! There are not that many laundromats! . . . . Doc

That's actually an interesting observation. 8 magazines per person per month. Let's say all 8 were for placements since personal copies are accessed by devices. Not always... there's a percentage of these that are for personal, but let's say these not were for personal use. Given field service weekly is 4 times per month, that would mean only 2 placements per Saturday field service for an average publisher. This is kind of underwhelming. It's interesting to see this when doing the math.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    YearAverage PublishersBaptisms

The number of baptisms has not increased in 5 years. Printing an additional 16 million tractazines per issue has zero affect on growth. This is simply a chest beating exercise for JW's to be able to gloat over perceived growth, when there is none.

JW's use the huge number of magazines printed and number of languages translated as evidence that they are reaching all the inhabited earth, yet that too is a misnomer, since 60 million does not scratch the surface of reaching earth's 8 billion inhabitants.

• schnell
    schnell

My guess is each time someone clicks on jw. org to read the magaizne, it counts as one copy. So if you click it for immediate reading but don't save it to your platform, the next time you want to read it, you have to go through the process all over again and it counts as another copy and so on.

It's like Youtube views - each time you watch your favourite Youtube videos, you increase the viewer numbers - even though you are the same person viewing it multiple times.

Quoted for emphasis! Love this.

• schnell
    schnell
    The number of baptisms has not increased in 5 years. Printing an additional 16 million tractazines per issue has zero affect on growth. This is simply a chest beating exercise for JW's to be able to gloat over perceived growth, when there is none.

You hit a nerve with me, man! My brother's wife started studying, divorced him, and got baptized immediately after and legally in the midst of divorcing him. Why did this happen? Why was she allowed to be baptized so soon?

Well, probably because at that assembly, she was the ONLY one getting baptized. The only one. They needed someone. That someone, it turns out, was her. And the next assembly? Kids.

• schnell
    schnell
    Environmentalists should sue these bastards for destroying our forests and voiding all that forestcover. Unproductive members of society, who cotribute zilch towards protecting our environment or human welfare , but claim their Hobo god is gonna destroy all destroying the earth. Effing hypocrites.

Actually, what IF there was a sort of cap and trade on paper publishing, intended to cut down on solid waste? Or is there such a thing? Should there be one?

If that were the case, I wonder if WT would actually use a lobbyist to fight it or work in an exemption for religious organizations.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

You are mixing up two different things. The number of magazines produced has nothing to do with the number of magazines delivered/placed. One downloaded magazine has no bearing on the number produced. If you want the number of delivered/placed magazines, turn to the Yearbook or similar publication.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Don't forget that now the carts are loaded up with magazines.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit