Cause of Mass Shootings Mental Health?

by blondie 150 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

Just saw this on Twitter, kind of puts things into a different perspective:

"If you could press a magic button which would reduce US mass shooting deaths by 100% for one year, or drug overdose deaths by 5% for one year which would you chose?

The first would save 372 people from being killed; the second would save 3,425 people"

Does the media focus people's attention on the biggest problems or just what is best for them?

Coverage of shootings provide great revenue for them and is great for certain politicians, but isn't impacting as many people as opioid issues. Their coverage also contributes to the issue and encourages more mass shootings.

• rickroll
    rickroll

Another thing to consider is that guns bought and sold in the US cross that country's borders and end up in the hands of gangs and drug cartels in Canada and Mexico

Yet where the guns come from do not have the issues of the urban areas. Hmmmmm wonder why.
  • Simon
    Simon
    Yet where the guns come from do not have the issues of the urban areas. Hmmmmm wonder why.

Fewer democrats running them.

• rickroll
    rickroll

You mean open borders and letting in illegals an light on crime makes for issues?

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno
    Do you know that since 1968 more americans have been killed GUNS, than have died in ALL wars combined :frowning: 1.5 million!!

Misleading. The number you're using includes suicides. You shouldn't count suicides when you're talking about murders.

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno

The US has 300 MILLION people.

Even if you use the sketchy numbers from "gun violence archive", mass shootings accounted for 371 deaths in 2018.

That's 0.000124% of the population.

Literally a one in a million chance.

I'll take those odds ANY day.

My kid has more of a chance of dying in an accident while riding his bike to school than he does in a mass shooting.

Be honest with yourselves. The only reason you people are so "afraid" of America and mass shootings is because of the propaganda and mainstream media kool-aid you're guzzling by the gallon on Social Media.

Just f-cking use logic!

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Literally a one in a million chance. I'll take those odds ANY day.

If you feel that way why own a gun? Because its true, the odds of having an accidental shooting by a handgun in the home are greater than the likelihood of use on an intruder.

My kid has more of a chance of dying in an accident while riding his bike to school than he does in a mass shooting.

Yes, and we have traffic laws and licensing to minimize unsafe drivers being able to drive to hit your child. We also insist our kids wear helmets and obey traffic laws themselves. Anything to reduce the chances they are hurt in an accident. But resistance to do anything to reduce the risk of death by assault rifles?? Makes no sense.

• Simon
    Simon
    You shouldn't count suicides when you're talking about murders.

A suicide just means the victim and murderer are the same person.

I actually heard an interesting fact recently, that while many use guns to commit suicide, the suicide rate is the same regardless of whether there is easy access to guns or not. I didn't make a note of the story to verify unfortunately but it sounded interesting.

• Lost in the fog
  • minimus
    minimus

Not all mass murderers are mentally ill but surely some are. The culture is the problem. Hollywood glorifies violence . Games teach kids killing people is cool. Destruction and loss of life is no big deal. In school, bullies push kids over the edge. They sometimes either kill themselves or others. Someone gets depressed, instead of trying to work things out , pamper the person and drug them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit