Cause of Mass Shootings Mental Health?

by blondie 150 Replies latest jw friends

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Cause of mass shootings = guns too many given the data and statistics

Is it so surprising that countries like the US which has one of the highest volume of gun sales in this population also has the highest rate of violence with the use of guns ?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I have looked over the backgrounds of these shooters, and few had medically identified mental health issues.

That's the problem, people have bought guns with a clean criminal record and psychological report, only to latter on commit mass murders and these are the ones who went about buying guns on the legal market.

• eyeslice2
    eyeslice2

Interesting debate, with some insightful comments.

I agree, 'normal' people don't shoot people. At the same time, I can't understand the situation in the USA with easy access to weapons. Its just crazy.

• rickroll
    rickroll

More people die by motor vehicle than by guns every year for at least the last 20 years.

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

Ubiquitous well made semi-autos with big clips.

As long as that's reality for the US, constant mass shootings will be the reality for the US.

It's really easy to kill lots of people in the US right now, very easy. Takes almost no effort. The machine does all the work.

Perhaps actually enforcing the 2nd amendment might help ... if you're not part of a state's "well regulated militia" you can't own a gun.

• GoUnion
    GoUnion

Not intentionally rickroll.

• Simon
    Simon
    Not at all Simon, you are creating something I never said. I did not say they were not guilty, I said they were mentally ill.

Yes, and claiming mental illness is a defence strategy to get off a guilty verdict.

The heinous act can't and shouldn't be used as evidence of mental illness as that definition means that no one can ever be guilty of the crime as they are not really responsible.

I think it's fair to call that ridiculous. Shooting someone isn't a diagnoses of mental illness. Shooting lots of people shows the exact opposite - callous and calculated planning

• Simon
    Simon
    I wonder how many gun owners who if they had the change to trade their right to have a gun in exchange for the lives of the 1.5 million people back, would take that?
    Maybe if it was your mom, or kid, or wife who was killed, it would make a difference?

Now ask how many non-gun owners, if they had the chance to go back in time to that moment and have a gun in their hand to protect their loved ones, wouldn't blow the perps brains all over the sidewalk.

Maybe if it was your mom, or kid, or wife who was killed, it would make a difference?

You always have to balance the number of innocent lives taken by guns by the number saved by them. Given that guns cannot be magicked away, and more lives are saved by guns annually, the idea of banning and preventing regular people from protecting their loved ones may be well intentioned but would be a death sentence for many more innocent people.

PS. a significant number of deaths are people involved in crime. I don't think they should even be considered when weighing up the pros and cons.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Stan - i dont live in america. thank you god.

Neither do I. I'd like to visit one day.

I spend time each year in Canada. I like it there.

Gun laws changed in the UK some time after the Dunblane shooting in 1996.

• shadow
    shadow

"Normal" people do kill others all the time, it's called war. A criminal is someone who didn't do it by the rules of where they live, or were on the side that lost. Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Nanking, My Lai, Coventry, Manifest Destiny, Holocaust, Civil War, Bloods, Crips, etc., etc., etc. All normal people. All "us" vs. "them".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit