Another generation....

by joey jojo 241 Replies latest jw experiences

• prologos
    prologos

TD: "--There were no other sheep in the year, 1776, for example.) are you sure? Wt might not realize it either?

1) An OS might be identified as one who has an earthly destiny, through resurrection or survival, and there are more deaths than 144 k in the last millennia.

2) The sealed, anointed come out of the 12 tribes of Israel, a group that wt has consistently labelled as the earthly class. That sealing started at Pentecost , or Stephen's death, so the millions of partakers that were awaiting the New Earth, not just the heavens, by default, must be Other, earthly Sheep.or? --of course,

If there was no Faithful and Discreet Slave during the Apostles' days, so, why would there be Other sheep?

Van 7: "-- come out of the Great Tribulation (Revelation 7:14). However, as WT teaching dictates that the Tribulation is still future, --great point V7, but wt has admitted in wt April 15 1995, questions from readers, that the GC is described only after the GT. but Rev, say come out of , not pass through!

The idea of deathless survival in wt teaching predates 1935 of course: " --Millions now living will never die!" wt published ca.1918. With that they predicted at least 2 million ~100 year old baptized faithful publishers, with at least 15 minutes/month reporting in 2016. wow! that's what I call confidence.

• TD
    TD

prologos,

are you sure? Wt might not realize it either?

I'm agnostic, bordering on atheist, so I'm not interested in discussing the "true" meaning of the NT, whatever that may be...

I'm only interested in the mechanics of JW theology and its internal agreement. Like I've said before, even fiction requires continuity. If you're writing a story about vampires and in your fictional world, sunlight will kill them, then obviously they can't be lying on a beach at noon later on in your book because that would be a glaring contradiction.

(I hope that clarifies my position.)

In JW theology, there was only one hope from the time of Pentecost clear up until well into the time of the end:

"First, Jesus gathers an anointed "little flock" who become joint heirs with him in the Kingdom of the heavens. After this, "a great crowd" are gathered to survive "the great tribulation." coming out of it to inherit everlasting life in the realm of God's Kingdom on earth." (The Watchtower January 1, 1995 p. 4)

"For 19 centuries there was only the one calling, the heavenly one, with Jehovah being very selective as to who would serve with his Son to make up the Kingdom government." (The Watchtower February 15, 1982, p. 30)

"For some 19 centuries after this there was only one calling, the heavenly one. It was an undeserved kindness that God bestowed on a limited number in furtherance of his own wise and loving purpose." (United In Worship Of The Only True God p. 111)

So yes, in JW theology, there were no "Other Sheep" in the year 1776. The only Christian calling at the time was the heavenly one.

The age of these references is immaterial inasmuch as the "Great Crowd" doctrine itself is going to have to change before they would no longer be what is known in the JW vernacular as, "Current Understanding." --And that hasn't happened yet.

The relevance to this thread should therefore be obvious. The "Great Crowd" doctrine is joined like a Siamese twin to the pre-95 understanding of a "Generation." (i.e. You must be within a human lifespan of the "Great Tribulation" before anyone can be identified as even a "Prospective" member of the "Great Crowd.")

• prologos
    prologos
    TD: I am a deist, and I too discuss these matter only to show the inconsistencies in wt theology. Their limiting the calling, assured salvation to the sealed anointed and that over the period of 2000 years, consigns the rest of mankind to be the earthly class, the OS, the 12 tribes over which the anointed will eventually rule. That the Great Crowd are the Other Sheep, is a flaky, latter day wt invention, for most scholars agree that the Other Sheep are the Gentile Christians that followed the pattern of Cornelius. or? TD, as you well said: ---technically JWs are only "prospective" members of the Great Crowd. so: the Great Crowd is not under the "this Generation" constraint. It will appear only after "all these things have occurred," whereas the anointed overlappers will be gone before all these things happen. That is where wt contradicts Jesus.
  • TD
    TD

...technically JWs are only "prospective" members of the Great Crowd. so: the Great Crowd is not under the "this Generation" constraint...

I guess I'm not following your reasoning...

You have absolutely zero prospect of surviving an event you will never live to see. Therefore you cannot even be a "prospective member" of the great crowd if the great tribulation lies more than a human lifespan in the future. QED.

That's not my opinion, that's just cold, hard math and unfortunately for the JW's, they started that clock ticking in the year 1935:

"Especially beginning in 1935, when the identity of the "great multitude" or "great crowd" was clearly understood, large numbers of these began to manifest themselves....God's infallible word depicts this group as 'coming out of the great tribulation,' being survivors of it, living right on into God's New Order without ever having to die. (Revelation 7:9,10,14, John 11:26) The early members of this group are now in their 60's or 70's or older. Jehovah did not allow the ingathering of this group to begin too soon. The "great crowd," including many of the earliest members thereof, will survive into the "new earth." (Survival Into A New Earth p. 185)

You can clearly see that the great crowd doctrine is inseparably tied to the pre-95 understanding of a "Generation." --And the word games we have seen so far vis-à-vis the word itself don't really address this greater problem.

• prologos
    prologos

TD: "---You have absolutely zero prospect of surviving an event you will never live to see. 100% agreement on that. here is my reasoning on wt's weird world view according to their writings:

All members of the great crowd are Other Sheep (Earthly Hopers), but not all Other Sheep are members of the Great Crowd.

The Great Crowd comes out of the Great Tribulation, so exists only After Armageddon. Even Abel, the quintescential OS will only be resurrected in Paradise. so: Since

The wt "generation" is the anointed remnant, and the Other sheep by any definition exist only since John the Baptist , less than "the smallest in heaven"), There really is no great crowd now, only aspirants, while they still breathe. (pun intended). After all, they are supposed to say "Salvation we owe--" a fait accompli' -that's only for the ones that "endure to the [bitter] end".-- yet to come.--Now,

Do you want to introduce a tentative "Great Crowd Generation" starting in 1935 ? -- that would be great too, it would dovetail with our old wt teaching that the GT started in 1014, was interrupted in 1918, to allow the Great Crowd to get out of it (and her), and then only restart at Armageddon, soon, just around the corner.. so, 1935 is better than 1914, it would give us octogenarians a fighting chance. Too bad the Forward Fred Franz overlappers will last to ~ 2075. Might my reasoning be too simplistic?

TD: "God's infallible word depicts this group as 'coming out of the great tribulation,' being survivors of it, living right on into God's New Order without ever having to die. (Revelation. Do you see a difference between being a survivor and coming out of (without going into)?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7
    Thanks for the clarification TD
  • TD
    TD

prologos,

All members of the great crowd are Other Sheep (Earthly Hopers), but not all Other Sheep are members of the Great Crowd.

That's true insofar as what JW's refer to as "Pre-Christian Witnesses" are concerned. During the Christian Era however, "Other Sheep" do not exist apart from the "Great Crowd." --Not as a class at any rate. The JW parent organization has said this many times in print.

Here are some explicit statements:

"It was Scripturally explained that the "great crowd" ("great multitude," King James Version) refers to the "other sheep" who live during the time of the end." (The Watchtower February 15, 2003 p. 19)

"Those of the other sheep gathered in the time of the end will make up the "great crowd" destined to survive "the great tribulation," with the prospect of living forever on a paradise earth." (The Watchtower February 1, 2002 p. 21)

"Finally, in 1935 the other sheep living during the time of the end of this system of things were recognized as being the great crowd seen in vision by the apostle John." (Isaiah's Prophecy: Light For All Mankind Vol. II p. 255)

"In a stirring talk on "The Great Multitude," delivered to about 20,000 conventioners, J.F. Rutherford presented Scriptural proof that the modern-day "other sheep" are identical with that "great crowd" of Revelation 7:9 (John 10:16) (The Watchtower May 15, 2001 p. 15)

"In 1935 this group of "other sheep" were discerned to be the "great crowd..out of all nations seen in vision by the apostle John." (The Watchtower January 1, 2000, p. 12)

"However, the other sheep living in the time of the end were prophesied to grow to be a "great crowd, which no man was able to number..." (The Watchtower February 15, 1995 pp. 19-20)

"So it was seen that this prophecy referred to the numberless great crowd from all nations who are now being gathered and whose hopes are earthly. They are "the sheep" of Matthew 25:31-46 and the "other sheep" of John 10:16." (The Watchtower May 15, 1995 p. 20)

"J.F. Rutherford, president of the Watch Tower Society, gave Scriptural proof that the modern-day other sheep are identical with the great crowd of Revelation 7:9." (Revelation: It's Grand Climax At Hand! pp. 120-122)

Here are some implicit statements:

"With consciences cleansed, anointed Christians render "sacred service to the living God." And so do the great crowd." (Pay Attention To Daniel's Prophecy p. 267)

"They also discerned that the Bible holds out two destinies - a heavenly one for the 144,000 anointed footstep followers of Christ and a paradise earth for an unnumbered "great crowd" of "other sheep." (The Watchtower May 15, 1995 p. 18)

"Would anointed Christians be the only ones to enjoy the blessings promised to Abraham? No, for Jesus sacrifice benefits the whole world. (1 John 2:2) In time, Jehovah revealed that an unnumbered "great crowd" would survive the end of Satan's system." (Draw Close To Jehovah p. 197)

"Jesus disciples entertain one of two hopes. First, a "little flock" numbering 144,000 has been gathered.....Second, in the last days, "a great crowd of "other sheep" have manifested themselves." (Isaiah's Prophecy: Light For All Mankind Vol II pp. 241, 242)

Do you want to introduce a tentative "Great Crowd Generation" starting in 1935 ? -- that would be great too, it would dovetail with our old wt teaching that the GT started in 1014, was interrupted in 1918, to allow the Great Crowd to get out of it (and her), and then only restart at Armageddon, soon, just around the corner.. so, 1935 is better than 1914, it would give us octogenarians a fighting chance. Too bad the Forward Fred Franz overlappers will last to ~ 2075. Might my reasoning be too simplistic?

Too simplistic. In the year 1970, the "Great Tribulation" was relocated to an indeterminate point in the future. Identification of the "Great Crowd" no longer hinged on the idea that this group had already come out of the "Great tribulation." It hinged on the idea that they would live to see it and were therefore, "Prospective" members of the great crowd in the sense that they had the prospect of surviving it, provided they were faithful. As I've already pointed out, this idea is limited by the length of a human lifespan.

I would also point out that in JW theology, the idea of "Other Sheep" apart from the "Great Crowd" during the Christian era would constitute a class of Christians who attain neither of the two salvations that JW's teach the Bible holds out for Christians. That is a problem of epic proportions and a violation of Christian theology at a very basic level.

Christians don't serve God specifically for a reward, but at the same time, without a reward, Christianity is entirely futile (1 Cor 15:19) because the implication is that God simply doesn't care whether you are faithful or not.

Since JW's believe that virtually everyone regardless of whether they were "good" or "bad" will be resurrected and given a second chance in Paradise, allowing for the existence of "Other Sheep" in the Christian era who are not "Identical with that "great crowd"" removes that reward.

In practical terms what would this mean? Early Christians were willing to face death in the arena rather than worship one of the Roman gods. They were willing to do this because they believed that their salvation was at stake.

Consider what happens if we remove that reward: What if those that refused to worship the Roman gods are treated no different than those that did? What if those that died in the arena are simply resurrected to life on earth just the same as those who escaped punishment by burning incense to the Emperor's diety? What reason would there be for dying in the arena at all? --None whatsoever. Remove the heavenly reward and you remove the reason to be faithful.

The situation is virtually the same in a modern setting. Why convert to the JW faith? Why go to all the meetings, go out knocking on doors, refuse to celebrate holidays, etc.? JW's do this because they, like the early Christians, believe that their salvation is at stake. For non-anointed JW's that salvation is described at Revelation 7:9-10.

What happens if we remove that reward? What happens if JW's simply grow old and die and are eventually resurrected to life in paradise just like everyone else who never bothered with the JW faith at all? What reason would anyone have for being a JW? --None whatsoever.

Take for example, a fictional JW family. The grandparents were baptized as adults in the late 1930's and never considered themselves to be anointed. They were the only members of their respective families to become JW's. They've been dead for 20 years now. How is their fate any different than all their "Unbelieving" brothers and sisters and cousins that never bothered with the JW faith? In JW theology, there is no difference. They're all going to be resurrected.

Any way you look at it, an "Earthly hope" is not a doctrine that can be taught longer than about a generation or so. It's only the proximity of the end and the prospect of not having to die that makes it viable. Remove that reward and you remove any reason to be faithful.

Do you see a difference between being a survivor and coming out of (without going into)?

Personally, yes. In JW theology, no.

• prologos
    prologos

TD: yes your points refuting the wt doctrines are more detailed than my simplistic " here are the facts", and they are funny' treatment. I hope many lurkers can see the futility, the contradictions. thank you.

: "--Any way you look at it, an "Earthly hope" is not a doctrine that can be taught longer than about a generation or so.: Yes if you a mean a generation that will never die, one generation at a time. never die 1918. never die 1935, never die 1975 -- ad infini.

: :--allowing for the existence of "Other Sheep" in the Christian era who are not "Identical with that "great crowd"" removes that reward. Explain please ? The Christian Era is ~ 2000 years, , the Great Crowd aspirant time slot only 80-100 long. I thought wt taught that all but the anointed (about 80 per year) would be sheeplike resurrected on the Earth , like the Catholic " --I believe in the resurrection of the flesh--"?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JOEYJOJO:

The 1995 changed teaching on Generation was the wake-up call for me that the Jehovah's Witness religion was bullshit. I remember feeling like I got sucker-punched when I heard this.

It was well and truly OVER after this. I did research and made preparation for my inevitable "fade" from the religion. I'm only sorry I didn't leave a decade sooner!

• Lieu
    Lieu

Remember: They HAVE to spin it.

If they throw out 1914, they aren't just throwing out "this generation". They are throwing out the whole kit n kaboodle.

1914 - Christ's "invisible" reign begins (after failed earlier visual rapture dates)

1914- "This generation" (Predicated on the start of invisible reign)

1919- Being picked to be God's special peeps on Earth. (Predicated on 1914 date)

Without those 3 things, the GB has absolutely ZERO claim to fame. They're trying to stretch the 1914 date as far as they are allowed. The "generation" has to be round to see all 'these things occur' (from the enthronement of 1914 to end).

What they're doing and why is quite clear to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit