Another generation....

by joey jojo 241 Replies latest jw experiences

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

LettMorrisSplaneit, enjoy....

"Eager to see the end of this evil system, Jehovah's people have at times speculated about the time when the 'great tribulation' would break out, even tying this to calculations of what is the lifetime of a generation since 1914. However, we bring a heart of wisdom in,' not by speculating about how many years or days makeup a generation, but by thinking about how we 'count our days' in bringing joyful praise to Jehovah. (Psalm 90:12) Rather than provide a rule for measuring time, the term 'generation' as used by Jesus refers principally to contemporary people of a certain historical period, with their identifying characteristics." - November 1 1995 Watchtower, page 16.

Remember the line from the kingdom song based on Ps 90:10?, 'our years are 70 - or 80, if we have special mightiness'.

AMAZINGLY.. exactly 81 years from 1914, there was suddenly 'new light'!! But only after the prophecy had failed.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

That's because 1914 was a mis-concocted date, the WTS should have done like other Christian based faiths and not make specific dates (1874, 1914, 1925, 1935, 1975 ) but then again they didn't have a publishing house operating at their core operations.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The main doctrine that the WTS has held to for over 141 years now is that Christ has taken his throne in heaven and that mankind is now living in " This Generation " mentioned by Jesus himself.

The goal posts have moved forward indiscriminately when nothing happened as it should, so ongoing regurgitating old fictitious doctrines like the 6000 years of mankind's existence was used at least 3 times going back to the earliest 1900's forward.

Hyped up lies to stimulate the literature proliferation, fear mongering to keep people alert and controlled.

• TD
    TD
    That means that the children of my friends that I used to go door to door with have no memory of the 'single generation' 1914 teaching.

Has any change been made to the "Great Crowd" teaching? (Sorry if this is a stupid question. --I used to follow JW stuff pretty closely...)

The instant you stand up a bunch of people at an assembly and tell them that they are the "great crowd" of Revelation, the clock starts ticking. My understanding is that JW's did this in 1935.

In JW theology, the great crown survives the great tribulation, so you have to at least live to see it to even be a prospective member of the great crowd. Conversely, you have zero prospect of surviving an event that you will never live to see.

So I would say that unless and until the great crowd teaching is discarded or seriously modified, the "single generation" is (implicitly) still very much alive and well inasmuch as a core doctrine of the JW faith was conceived and formulated under that rubric.

• prologos
    prologos
    TD: good thought. sooner or later the Great Crowd (of Other Sheep) will have to start overlapping too. according to the figures, just about right now, not later than 14 years from now. The overlapping anointed groups go to 2075 , overlapping OS to ~2135.
  • Butyoucanneverleave
    Butyoucanneverleave
    My mom died in 1994. I remember her thinking that she would not be dead for long because we were 80 years past 1914. And then they changed the meaning of generation the next year. That's been 22 years now. There is no doubt in my mind that she would have serious doubts about this religion and their questionable timetables. Oh how I miss her😪.
  • TD
    TD

prologos,

Back when I actually cared about JW teaching, other sheep did not exist in the Christian Era (With the exception of accidents, illness and other forms of untimely death) apart from the great crowd. (There were no other sheep in the year, 1776, for example.)

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein
    The preaching of the Gospel with the New Kingdom to come and mankind is living in the prophetic Last Days all together, makes for some notably attractive bible based doctrines, even if they are not accurate interpretations of the bible's scriptures
  • prologos
    prologos
    TD: "-JW teaching, other sheep did not exist in the Christian Era -- you are right, in wt teachings, if you partook and fumbled, unworthily. (did not believe wt doctrine to come) you went to gehenna. of course, if one reads the context, the Other Sheep were really the no-jewish Christians, starting with Cornelius. , a thought that never occurred to Rutherford the non-theologian.
  • fedup
    fedup

I lived through the 1975 lie. I was never supposed to attend high school. I was turning 12 in 1975, I was sure the end was coming. Too young and had no say on getting out of the LIE at that time.

So, I stayed in, regular pioneered in the 80's, served as an elder for many years, taught all my studies that the generation of 1914 would see the end and that the faithful would live forever in paradise, without ever having to die.

Left in the mid 90's, I couldn't take the BS no more. The false generation teaching was just TOO BIG of a LIE, besides a whole bunch of other stuff I won't list now.

Still have family that are active. A few weeks ago I met with a sibling that's still inside, I had to share some amazing news in my life and said, "while the WT figures out which generation will see the end, I'm going to be a grandfather in August."

After congratulating me, all he could say is, "don't worry, we're really close now."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit