What is the alternative to JW?

by Formerbrother 475 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

@Formerbrother,

Why do you assume an alternative true religion exists in the first place?

And within that single question, many questions are implied:

• Does true religion even exist at all, or are they all (at least partially) false?
    • Is there a difference between true religion and false religion? Can there only be 1 true (enough) religion?
    • Does God even care which religion you choose? How would you know?
    • Do you even need to belong to a religion to be OK with God?

If there is a true alternative, it will come your way (as I am convinced a truly loving God would make that happen if he wants us to know the true religion).

No need to stick with known liars and false prophets until that time; it will only restrict your search.

Also, the Bible clearly states that it's not okay to associate with liars and people who hide their true identity (like the Borg does)

Your way of thinking is heavily influenced by JW doctrine...."where else would we go?"

Well even without being a JW you can pray, spread the good news, love God above all, and your neighbour just as much.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Oh and for everyone looking to join a new group of any kind, please make sure they don't score too high on the checklist for high-demands/high-control groups (cults):

http://www.icsahome.com/articles/characteristics

Compare these patterns to the situation you were in (or in which you, a family member, or friend is currently involved). This list may help you determine whether there is cause for concern. Bear in mind that this list is not meant to be a “cult scale” or a definitive checklist to determine whether a specific group is a cult. This is not so much a diagnostic instrument as it is an analytical tool.
    • The group displays excessively zealous and unquestioning commitment to its leader and (whether he is alive or dead) regards his belief system, ideology, and practices as the Truth, as law.
    • Questioning, doubt, and dissent are discouraged or even punished.
    • Mind-altering practices (such as meditation, chanting, speaking in tongues, denunciation sessions, and debilitating work routines) are used in excess and serve to suppress doubts about the group and its leader(s).
    • The leadership dictates, sometimes in great detail, how members should think, act, and feel (for example, members must get permission to date, change jobs, marry—or leaders prescribe what types of clothes to wear, where to live, whether or not to have children, how to discipline children, and so forth).
    • The group is elitist, claiming a special, exalted status for itself, its leader(s), and its members (for example, the leader is considered the Messiah, a special being, an avatar—or the group and/or the leader is on a special mission to save humanity).
    • The group has a polarized us-versus-them mentality, which may cause conflict with the wider society.
    • The leader is not accountable to any authorities (unlike, for example, teachers, military commanders or ministers, priests, monks, and rabbis of mainstream religious denominations).
    • The group teaches or implies that its supposedly exalted ends justify whatever means it deems necessary. This may result in members’ participating in behaviors or activities they would have considered reprehensible or unethical before they joined the group (for example, lying to family or friends, or collecting money for bogus charities).
    • The leadership induces feelings of shame and/or guilt in order to influence and/or control members. Often, this is done through peer pressure and subtle forms of persuasion.
    • Subservience to the leader or group requires members to cut ties with family and friends, and to radically alter the personal goals and activities they had before they joined the group.
    • The group is preoccupied with bringing in new members.
    • The group is preoccupied with making money.
    • Members are expected to devote inordinate amounts of time to the group and group-related activities.
    • Members are encouraged or required to live and/or socialize only with other group members.
    • The most loyal members (the “true believers”) feel there can be no life outside the context of the group. They believe there is no other way to be and often fear reprisals to themselves or others if they leave (or even consider leaving) the group.
  • Rather Be the Hammer
    Rather Be the Hammer

The question 'where else would we go' was not about a religion. That's a mistake a lot of JW make. It's what the Borg wants you to believe, that this question is about 'true' or 'false' religion.

But: The disciples asked where would the go if they were not with JESUS.

So if you feel there must be someone you want to stay with, (because 'it says so in the Bible') it's Jesus. not a religion. Or a cult.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Looks like you have your answer formerbrother. Nothing is going to change your mind. Not reason, common sense or traceable history. Just a lot of pages of people who know nothing.

2. There is a creator, but JW's are not the closest to the truth, but after 21 pages of hundreds of posts, we still cant find another alternative.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Formerbrother4 hours agoSo to sum up what options we have come up with so far on this thread:-
    1. No religion, the Bible is just another book written by men, so you then have to believe in Evolution.

I don't believe in god, but neither do I care about evolution. I don't get why you think there has to be alternatives. I live in the here and now. I survive the moment. How we got here is no longer relevant once the penny dropped that it makes no difference. We'll die. End of. No one will care in 100 years time about who I was.

2. There is a creator, but JW's are not the closest to the truth, but after 21 pages of hundreds of posts, we still cant find another alternative.

Confirmation bias is evident here. 'My religion right or wrong', springs to mind. I wonder how long before FB joins the great multitude of exJWs?

3. Is there a third option?

There doesn't have to be any options. Live life. Don't obssess about magic men in the skies or the origins of the human race. Nothing is accomplished by this.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

What people really need is a sound and thorough education, instead looking and upholding ancient mythology as a perceivable guidance and direction.

All religions are structured upon lies mostly told thousands of years ago to appeal to ancient civilizations and to cultivate power and control for a few men (Seers) , so wouldn't it better to acknowledge that and seek out the truth to the best ability one can in are present time in human history ?

• Formerbrother
    Formerbrother

"I don't believe in god, but neither do I care about evolution." Punk, does this mean you havent decided yet what you believe, or you just dont care?

Either there was a creator or you believe in chance, evolution?

What other option is there?

"I live in the here and now. I survive the moment. How we got here is no longer relevant once the penny dropped that it makes no difference. We'll die. End of. No one will care in 100 years time about who I was."

So we have established that no other organisation comes close to the truth from the bible, or we would have mentioned them clearly by now in this thread.

So I get the impression that one alternative from JWs is to just not care? Dont think about it too much, maybe the bible is right maybe not. Maybe there is an intelligent creator maybe there isnt?

This doesnt make any sense to me. At some point in a persons life they wonder what is the purpose of life, why are we here? Why is there so much suffering on Earth?

The Bible gives truthful answers, but if you dont care if its true or not then you will never get to the truth.

• cappytan
    cappytan
    Are you sure that what you believe now will be the "truth" in ten years? If so what happens when what you believe now changes (as we all know it will)? Won't that mean that Jehovah's Witnesses now never had the truth to begin with?

Unless there will never again be new light, they aren't quite the truth, are they?

I wouldn't drink a glass of water that I knew contained only one drop of poison in it. It might be 99.9% pure, but still have that poison and kill you. Likewise, why would I put my trust in a belief system that is still in beta testing?

If you think JWs are the closest to the truth, how do you know? Especially if you are born into the organization. Have you actually studied all other religions to know that for a fact? Or is the knowledge you have about other religions only what the Society's publications have told you?

So what is the alternative if JWs don't have the truth? Become a genuine truth seeker and find what's right for you. Value empirical evidence over anecdotal.

• Freesoul
    Freesoul

Former Brother

What alternative are you looking for.

We have all asked the same questions when we left the Borg, but we have all come up with different answers. It is not up to anyone else here to tell you what you should believe or if you should join another religion.

I know when we were in the borg we had a manufactured "one size fits all" answer for everything, but we were living a fairytale that was a lie.

I left the borg 25 years ago and am still asking, I have changed what I believe in over time, life is a journey to be lived.

What I know for sure, we can debate different subjects, and go round and round in circles, but in the end, we can only do what feels right in our own heart, minds. God and given us our own conscience to guide us and we should follow this as it is always right. Live life to the fullest and enjoy each and every single day. We can find happiness in the smallest of things, this can include just smiling at someone passing by and just being thankful.

We have no control of what happens when we die so we have to leave this in God's hand.

Take Care I'm now a Freesoul

• Half banana
    Half banana

People can believe in exactly what they like.

However the worst thing to believe in is "Belief".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit