What is the alternative to JW?

by Formerbrother 475 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Formerbrother
    Formerbrother

I mean this with all due respect, I would like to hear from genuine people who think JW have it wrong and then what is the truth?

Im not talking about silly little quibbles here and there.

Is Jehovah real? The the Bible is word? If not whats the alternative? I cant see how any thinking person can believe evolution.

so assuming that there is a creator and he wrote the Bible, where have JWs gone wrong?

Is it possible that they are nearest to the truth than any other religions? But yes there are mistakes made.

In my mind I still think JW are closest to the truth that any other religion, but there have been mistakes made and most certainly there are still some.

For my part Im still going to meetings, some say Im sitting on the fence so Im actually out, fair enough, at least Im thinking for myself.

I will be very interested to hear logical reasonable thoughts on this from anybody. But please do post childish not well thought out arguments...

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

the monopoly on God, only you can be saved if you join us, typical of every single cult out there, they have distorted the message of Christianity so severely that if you challenge any jw or cultist to give to their version of the Kingdom of God and the message of what Christianity really is with a few sentences then only read what the Bibles hope is for mankind they are a million miles apart, they have elevated men to be as almost and sometimes more important then the Creator and Jesus Christ himself, look how CT Russell and his followers called him The Faithful and Wise Servant, how that bumbling old fool Fred Franz was the Oracle, and how the modern day Governing Body members are likewise worshipped, how many Christian groups are there? 40,000 odd? they is no them and us, we are all in it togther, the jw's claim that god has always had a select group of people for his name from the Nation of Israel onwards to Christians from the 1st century to now, that logic and reasoning is so fundamentally flawed it is laughable. In a nutshell they would be as far as possibly could be removed to be nearest to having the truth then any other religion out there, I find it hard to believe that a high control dangerous group like them could be classified as such, they have a history of many failed doctrines and prophecies,blatant lies and dishonesty, still cover over proportionally the worst child abuse scandal that could hit any church or group out there, sorry but a massive fail from me and many many millions more

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

" Are you saying i can dodge bullets...?

no. Im saying you wont have to. "

your getting there, its a work in progress :) perspective is everything and yours is growing and expanding. Keep that pursuit of personal growth strong and you will find the answer to your op in a way that will satisfy you far more than any post you will read here.

• Bonsai
    Bonsai
    The alternative would be to stop making assumptions, follow the evidence. I think humanism is a good alternative to JWism. If you want to believe in an invisible, uncommunicative god, why do so on other people's terms? Why be affiliated with an organized religion at all? The blind will lead the blind (and your wallet as well).
  • Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    Rational thought.
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice

Hi FBruv, I asked these questions when I left watchtower corp. this was mainly because they had indoctrinated me using their mind control, to ask 'where else will you go?'

I have my opinions, as we all do. These are they....respectfully of course....

I mean this with all due respect, I would like to hear from genuine people who think JW have it wrong and then what is the truth?

No one has the truth. We claim we have. Truth exists but we are clouded by our own confirmation bias.

Im not talking about silly little quibbles here and there.
    Is Jehovah real?

No. There is no evidence god actually exists. A life without god is exactly the same as if one believes. Which god is the real one, anyway? Zeus, Apollo, Thor, Allah.....people believe and have believed in them all. None of them ever showed or made it obvious they were even there.

The the Bible is word?

There is no evidence that the bible is god's word anymore than the quran or monty python's big red book is. There is no evidence for the fables, claims and many characters in it. It was bunged together by some bloke that decided which bit to staple together. I like Spider-man comics, the places he goes to and some people mentioned in those comics are real...it doesn't mean Spider-man exists.

If not whats the alternative?

There doesn't have to be an alternative. This is watchtower corp mind control propaganda that there has to be an alternative. Just live life. There is no need to have an alternative belief system.

I cant see how any thinking person can believe evolution.

A thinking person will actually study these things and decide for themselves. I'm sure Cofty can reccomend some fine reading material for those that doubt evolution or have a misconception of what it actually is. Personally, I don't care about evolution...I live my life NOW...it makes no difference to me how we got here now that I see no evidence for a god/s.

so assuming that there is a creator and he wrote the Bible, where have JWs gone wrong?

We cannot assume anything as to assume makes an ASS of U and ME (see what I did there?). I don't believe a creator wrote such a violent, homophobic, mysogynistic, contradicting book. (You of course, are free to belive what you want). As for what the JWs have got wrong if they insist on following the book...........sheesh...where to begin? The 2 witness rule that protects paedophiles. Going door knocking. That there was a governing body(modern term), in the 1st century. Anointed. Generations. Heaven and earth. Flood......urgh...tired already.

Is it possible that they are nearest to the truth than any other religions?

Nope. No religion 'owns' the truth. Religion is just a means to control the sheeple, the same as politics is. Religion is just politics with magic added. All religions are wrong and we really don't need them for a better society. Religion is where the trouble is.

But yes there are mistakes made.

Sadly, these 'mistakes' have cost many lives. See; Malawi, Nazi Germany, shunning that leads to suicide or mental illness, the 2 witness rule that protects paedophiles...and so on.

With respect, just saying what I see. Unky Punky.

• HBH
    HBH

I believe in God. I used to think along your lines about JWs being close to the truth, but not any more. They simply don't demonstrate mercy. I stumbled on a statement that sums it up well.

"If your religion, faith, devotion, or self proclaimed spirituality is not directly leading to an increase in kindness, empathy, compassion and tolerance for others then you have been misled. "

I would say that "others" includes nature too.

Also, there was a recent topic that stated "I'd rather have questions I can't answer, then answers I can't question."

HBH

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

What is the alternative to JW?

There are many alternatives, and they're obvious when you think about it.

Instead of going to the District Convention, if the weather's nice, take your family for a day out to a park or zoo.

Instead of Saturday field service, take your son to the footie.

Thursday night meetings were always a killer. They finish quite late, then it's off to bed for work/school in the morning. Sod that! Miss this meeting, and perhaps chill with a nice glass of wine or beer.

Oh, and about religious stuff - Marcus Aurelius had it about right. Just live a good life; maybe focus on education.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Welcome formerbrother...

You asked: Is Jehovah real? Answer: No

The the Bible is word? No

If not whats the alternative? Logic, reason, and love. Develop Critical Thinking Skills and adopt a foundational principle of being Intellectually Honest.

I cant see how any thinking person can believe evolution. Please read a Science book on the topic. A couple that have been recommended by others on this site are: "The Greatest Show on Earth" by Richard Dawkins or "Why Evolution is True" by Jerry A Coin. When I have time I would like to read these. I have personally read "Your Inner Fish" by Neil Shubin and it was pretty good. If you do not know who Neil is, he was part of the team who discovered Tiktaalik.

Is it possible that they are nearest to the truth than any other religions? No. I will cite 2 reasons: 1) Their belief system is based on a factually inaccurate, contradictory, and forged book. 2) They have gone beyond what is written in this flawed foundational document, aka The Bible, and have made up their own ideas/definitions of what is written in the scriptures to the detriment and harm of many people, including my cousin who died refusing a blood transfusion. The social system known as Patriarchy has long outlived any usefulness it ever had, IF it had any to begin with.

For my part Im still going to meetings, some say Im sitting on the fence so Im actually out, fair enough, at least Im thinking for myself.

I commend you on your willingness to ask questions and think for yourself. Unfortunately, these are not traits JWs are encouraged to possess. I wish you luck in your journey.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Hi Formerbrother, as a confirmed "fader" now - and having seriously questioned, studied, and scrutinized the Org's doctrines and practices over the past 5 years - the damning evidence overwhelmingly proves to me that the WTBTS's poisons are not by any stretch of the imagination "better" than the rest of Christendom's toxic offerings. Do you want to select "the lesser of two evils" for yourself?

If an active/inactive Witness openly discussed and questioned any of the Org's teachings or practices, we all know that the wolves would rapidly pounce on such a sheep, and rip it to shreds!

This fact alone should tell you that the Org is head & shoulders above many of its contemporaries when the question of anti-Christs arises! (Matthew 25:41-46)

The powers-that-be within the Org, know exactly what they are doing, and why! Their tree is rotten to its roots.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit