What TV shows were you told not to watch as a JW ???

by run dont walk 58 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• minimus
    minimus

Boxing and ANY demon/spiritistic/occult theme......But I always watched boxing.....The key to getting around these restrictions was making sure that no one else knew you were watching them.

• doodle-v
    doodle-v

I was able to watch Scooby Doo only because I explained to my mom the phantoms and ghosts werent real

Threes Company was DEFINATELY a no no (but i would sneak and watch it)

I would also sneak and watch Transformers, She-Ra, He-man and ThunderCATs (rooooooar!!)

I couldnt watch Rosanne or Married with Children, and im with you Dr Watson I couldnt watch the Simpsons with my parents around either. Doh!

so the only thing that was left (oh yeah most of the good shows were on meeting nights arrrrgh!) was TGIF-Perfect Strangers, Full House and Family Matters

some of the other JW parents were more lienient (sp) than mine so sometimes i could go to my friends house and watch some those shows

Anyone remember GoBots? They were the rival of Transformers (lol)

oh but i did get to watch a lot of the "Classics" ie. the Jeffersons, Sanford and Son and Good Times oh and who can forget the show FAME?

Doodle-V

• yxl1
    yxl1

As long as the show didnt contain the "F" word, we could watch it. My wife on the otherhand couldnt watch Grange Hill. Apparently it was bad association. My Dub Brother-in-law refuses to watch the simpsons because he claims its blasphemous. He says that on too many occations Homer has a chat with God which shows no respect. I wont be lending him my Simpsons DVD's. I've suggested he watch Family guy....heh heh heh

• Angharad
    Angharad

Yxl1 - I wasnt allowed to watch Grange Hill either, I always wanted to

Also Fame was another I always wanted to watch when I was a kid and couldnt.

We were allowed to watch most things though in our house

• stichione
    stichione

I wasn't allowed to watch Star Trek. I was told it wasn't real and that I should only watch stuff that is based on reality.

• Swan
    Swan

So were these shows banned by the WTBTS, the local congregation, or just by your parents?

If we go by what parents banned, well my Mom would go through the TV Guide and cross out shows we couldn't watch. There wasn't much left by the time Mom and her marker were through. This was especially true after the District Convention where the pink kids book came out. My Dad thought we were getting too unruly lately. So he had Mom limit our TV and study a chapter out of the pink book every night at bedtime.

I argued that Nanny and the Professor was okay because there was no proof that she was magic, things just happened around her. Mom took us to see Mary Poppins, so I argued that it was okay. But nooooooo! Lost the argument. Nanny got crossed out too.

I remember in one congregation there was a bit of a feud going on because some elders thought the Super-bowl was bad but some elders liked it. They liked having a Super-bowl party because it was something social that wasn't connected with a religious or secular holiday.

Tammy

• Englishman
    Englishman

Doctor Who was a no-no.

I could never understand why this should be so, the Daleks being so witness-like and all.

exterminate..EXTERMINATE.... EXTERMINATE!!!

Englishman.

• d
    d

I was not allowed to watch Are you Afraid of the Dark, Ren and Stimpy and Rocko's Modern life.All these were popular 90's cartoons that I was prohibited to watch.

• burnedout
    burnedout

Miami Vice

Cable TV (HBO especially bad)

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

I was only really allowed to watch what my parents thought was safe - which was the stuff THEY grew up on and knew about. So I watched a lot of I Love Lucy, The Twilight Zone, The Honeymooners and older movies like The Wizard of Oz. Which reminds me, there was a family I knew of that was not allowed to watch Wizard of Oz cause there was a witch in it.

I did not even see The Goonies till I was in my 20's.

I used to sneak on the TV and watch Rainbow Brite cartoon when I was a little girl and just LOVE it. We did watch The Fall Guy, Dukes of Hazzard, A Team, Air Wolf, Bob Newhart - I think that is because my parents liked those shows.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit