What TV shows were you told not to watch as a JW ???

by run dont walk 58 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• joenobody
    joenobody

You couldn't watch the Simpsons? I find that funny... We had a Circuit Overseer (very arrogant jerk I might add) who actually quoted an episode in his talk. I thought it was pretty funny at the time...

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Lots I couldn't watch: Simpsons, You Can't Do That On Television, Beetlejuice, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Thundercats, Transformers, He-man....

• razorMind
    razorMind

Actually, we couldn't get much on our tiny TV, out in the middle of nowhere. We couldn't get more than 2 or 3 channels, much less cable. It's still like that on the ol' homeplace today.

We really couldn't watch much. Any show with make-out scenes or "sex" scenes was not allowed. We had to turn it off. My folks had more of a hang-up with anything remotely sexual, more so than violence on TV.

The biggest thing with my folks was holiday specials. Thus, I saw "A Charlie Brown Christmas" for the very first time last year at the ripe old age of 32.....and STILL haven't seen "How The Grinch Stole Christmas."

Isn't that sad?

• obiwan
    obiwan

Johnny Carson, Star Wars, Alice in Wonderland

• blondie
    blondie
    You couldn't watch the Simpsons?

A Bethelite told us a few years ago that they were forbidden to watch the Simpsons. Of course, that is just hearsay.

Blondie

• Francois
    Francois

I college, after I moved out of my elder uncle's home, on Saturday nights, I would collect up my worldly girlfriend, two six pax of beer, two packs of ciggies and head out for my uncles house. We'd watch Mission Ridiculous, Saturday Night Live and I forget what all else. We'd make that beer disappear, the ciggies too and whatever else there was, plus we'd stop by my place on the way back to Johnson City (TN) to spring on the inner spring before taking her home. Ahhhhhh those where the days. The rules were for the proles. Har.

• Dimples
    Dimples

Hey, Don't forget soap operas! Golden Girls was also a no-no. I watched them anyway.....

• undercover
    undercover

You guys that couldn't watch Scooby Doo....of the ones that I remember watching(the originals, before Scrappy Doo), there was always a logical reason for the spookiness. A bad guy using a projector or a ghost costume to scare people. There wasn't any real supernatural stuff happening. That shows how overreactionary people can be.

The Simpsons. Not appropriate for younger children, I'll grant you that. But for teens and young adults? Gimme a break. And Bethel banning them?(if true) What are they afraid of? That Homer might spill the beans about the WTS chronology being false? Is Monty Burns on the GB?

We were not allowed to watch Jeannie, Bewitched, Casper, but the Munsters and the Addams Family was OK. I remember the Disney movie, Bedknobs and Broomsticks was a no-no, but Snow White, Cinderella was OK. Conflicting rules laid on JW kids. No wonder they're so messed up as adults.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

undercover: I completely agree with your reasoning. However, logic usually doesn't enter the picture with things like this. No, I wasn't allowed to watch the Simpsons at home even though I was 17 or 18 at the time!

• undercover
    undercover

Man, I feel for you guys that couldn't watch the Simpsons. That has got to be one of the best commentaries on American life there is.

Buy the DVDs or watch the reruns in syndication. What a great show.

Our mother was much more conservative than our father. Mom banned MASH, but Dad loved it, so we got to watch it with him. SNL was the same way. If he stayed up to watch, us kids got to stay up and watch, while Mom fumed alone somewhere else in the house.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit