I Got Another Telling Off On JWTalk

by pale.emperor 94 Replies latest members private

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

So im stirring the pot on JWTalk regarding the overlapping generation teaching, hoping to get the Jdubs thinking. I basically said that I avoid talking about the overlapping generation because I dont understand it, cant explain it and it's likely to turn off new bible studies. I went as far as saying that I dont beleive it and Im "waiting on Jehovah" for more light.

The majority of members are defending the teaching, but surprisingly at least two members agreed with me.

I don't see what is difficult.

A generation is a group of people who live or serve together during a specific time or event. In this case we are talking about the anointed who lived or served together during the Last Days up to the Great Tribulation and Armageddon.

Depends on the "specific time or event"

You and your grandfather are part of the generation of people who witnessed the Apollo rocket program.

Now, your grandfather may have died prior to the last Apollo mission in 1972. Regardless, you and he are still part of the group of people alive between 1966 and 1972.

You and your father are part of the generation that witnessed the space shuttle program.

Same as above. Everyone alive between 1981 and 2011 are the generation of people who saw the space shuttle operate even some of those people died before 2011

People alive during the same moment in time or same event.

- Shawnster

Perhaps it may be best to drop the word "overlapping" for you to personally understand what "this generation" means. As Shawn said, its merely people of varying ages living during a certain period. Nothing more, nothing less.

At some point, all the "millennials" will be dead, and the "millennial" generation will cease to exist. So if we sub in "millennials" to Jesus words, hes saying "the millennial generation will not pass away until all these things happen".

The word "overlap" is appropriate, however. When two people are born during the same time period or "generation", but on different days, their lives "overlap" if one doesn't die before the other one is born.

That's exactly what is meant by the term.

Its really simple.

- Bob (remember "Bobby" the JW who was on here a while ago?)

I am so embarrassed to admit that this is what makes it confusing to me. Their lives overlap, but what about when the younger one is say fifty or sixty years old and the life of another youngster begins to "overlap" his life? It appears to me that there needs to be some date to start (1914), and some date to end(?????).

I am pretty old now, so maybe it is the effects of "Cannot teach an old dog new tricks" syndrome" kicking in 😉 but it seemed to me much easier to understand the older explanation of "generation". I sometimes wonder, if as another member mentioned, that there will be brighter light adjusting the understanding and clarifying it even more? I know in a conversation with another brother locally we both wondered if perhaps an adjustment incorporating some of the explanation of who have a heavenly hope from very early in the societies modern day existence would come out, similar to how the explanation of who the Superior Authorities in Romans 13 were understood to be was clarified again in the early sixties.

I must say I hesitate to even mention my embarrassed confusion lest people who do not know me jump to wrong conclusions about me.

We'll just have to wait on Jehovah and see. ï»ż

- Chuck

I mean no disrespect, but why do we have to “wait on Jehovah”?

Perhaps we did, and this is his way for us. I don’t think we need to wait on Jehovah if there is no unresolved inaccuracies, or scriptural ambiguity that have become obvious.

- Bob (again)

The thought quoted above has also crossed my mind, so I understand your sentiment Brian. I remember when I was younger how we used to mention the generation teaching often to highlight the fact that the end was extremely near, back then we thought the term referred to those alive in 1914. Don't hear nearly as much of the latest "overlapping" understanding, perhaps because the slave no longer wants to focus on chronology as much as it did a few decades ago, a good thing if you ask me.

- Jessie

Yes I understand your frustration on this matter. My mum found it a bit difficult to understand as well and it was bit hard explaining it to her. But at the end of the day we know this to be the truth. Reminds me of the context of John 6:68 “Lord whom shall we go away to”. People did not undeï»żrstand JesĂșs as he said you must drink my blood and eat my flesh and neither did the apostles as well. But the apostles had humility and patience and as well knew him to be the Christ and realised where else is there to go (there is no truth anywhere else). So even if we personally don’t understand something we just have to keep goingï»ż in the truth knowing we will get a better understanding of it ourselves in due time. ï»ż

- Godskingdomrules

I received the following email from (im guessing a wannabe elder) moderator:

Dear XXXX

Welcome to jwtalk.net. We hope you enjoy our community.

We understand you are new here and maybe haven't found your balance yet. We are concerned a little with your comment about the overlapping generation teaching. This comment is opposite what the Bible and the FDS indicates.

The Bible is clear in context that there is only ONE generation made up of two groups who's lives overlap.

Your comment is suggesting that the bible is inaccurate about the generation overlap and this is not in harmony with our beliefs.

Please be mindful we will not allow blatant contradictions to be posted here and such can result in warnings and eventual dismissal.

Please familiarize yourself with our terms of use, sit back and enjoy your time here. We strive to make this a safe on line haven.

I guess freeness of speech only works one way on JWTalk!

• hoser
    hoser

Sounds like a reply that you would get from the Stasi or the kgb.

• baldeagle
    baldeagle

Typical JWs, no negative talk or remotely dissenting views and comments can ever be allowed. The faith of these people is very fragile and weak. The recurring doubts and fears that are bouncing around in their heads must be kept quiet and calm. Perish the thought that one might digress and question a teaching. Truly a group of individuals that are much to be pitied.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

All passive aggressive little bleeders aren't they?!

Bob needs a good sit down....preferably in a ducking stool.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Lol what crap! One generation??? Defined in what way? They say one generation made up of people whos lives overlap, but the people who ‘overlap’ NEVER SAW THE EVENT THAT DEFINED THE GENERATION.

In other words, if you want to say (to barrow an earlier stupid example) “the apollo generation” and define it as my grandparents and parents, fine. The problem is i cannot be apart of that as i was not born when the apollo program ended. These asshats are saying the people who saw the start of 1914 (the event) overlapped with those who didnt see it and that alone makes them the same generation in the same way as i am alive at the same time as my grandparents and therefore am a part of the apollo generation.

Thats exactly NOT what the wt is saying, its what they want you to assume.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I really liked that they claimed the denying the overlapping generation is "the opposite of what the bible teaches". Huh?!! Really?!!

And did you notice TWO groups but ONE generation. This is almost like saying THREE persons but ONE god.

• cofty
    cofty

I clearly remember the day of the funeral of my great-grandfather.

He was part of the generation that saw the Boer War in 1899.

Our lives overlapped.

Therefore, by WT logic, I am of the Boer War generation, and his generation has not yet passed away, even though he would be well over 130 if he was still alive.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit
    Pale, I think you are on shaky ground , the next time you are going to see a big red banned banner on your profile LOL
  • The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Would you be "disfellowshipped" from JWTALK for pointing out to the moderator that he needs to correct his English grammar?

He said - The Bible is clear in context that there is only ONE generation made up of two groups who's lives overlap.

The word is 'whose', not 'who's.' (who is) Maybe he needs a higher education. Or maybe he also works for the BBC who said this on their web site story today;

"Since March 2014, same sex-couples can chose wither to enter a civil partnership or to marry. This has not been possible for mixed-sex couples which led Ms Steinfeld and Mr Keidan to argue that the law was discriminatory. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44627990

Should be 'choose' & 'whether.' Maybe they're using AI. :)

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@pale.emperor: "I really liked that they claimed the denying the overlapping generation is 'the opposite of what the bible teaches'. Huh?!! Really?!!"

Ridiculous, really. The book of Matthew is where Jesus is quoted saying "this generation" (first of all, "this" refers to a present generation listening to his sermon. If Jesus had said "THAT generation", perhaps he'd be denoting a future one a couple of thousand years later).

In Matthew 1:1-16, you get a rambling list of fathers and sons, back-to-back in some sort of genealogy. Verse 17 couldn't get any more plain:

"So all the generationS from Abraham to David were FOURTEEN GENERATIONS, and from David to the deportation to Babylon FOURTEEN GENERATIONS, and from the deportation to Babylon to the Christ FOURTEEN GENERATIONS."

That's right. Multiple generations of people coexisting together. Not one obscure overlapping generation that WT has projected several chapters later in the same book.

Y'all know the New Light department in bethel are laughing their asses off at the rank and file who have never been college educated to hear about the existing overlapping generations model that businesses have been implementing for years in the secular world:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit