Happy Veterans Day! (America)

by freemindfade 51 Replies latest social current

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Well said Simon. Even when you hear of stories of how units of soldiers worked together and fought and died together just trying to survive a few hours, or over night in horrific situations you can't help but feel deeply impressed by their spirit of friendship and loyalty to each other.
  • Simon
    Simon

You see movies like Fury and obviously things are glamorized but there are lots of cases where people stayed to man a machine gun to provide cover for other people knowing full well that they would not survive.

It's greater love of humanity than the self-serving nonsense in the bible.

Both my grandfathers served in WWII. I regret not asking them about their experiences more..

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Black Hawk down is a fantastic true story based on the battle of Mogadishu. So many acts of selflessness, especially the two Delta Force snipers, Randy Shughart and Gary Gordon who lost their lives trying to guard the helicopter crash survivors. Powerful stuff. I haven't seen Lone Survivor yet but will. I heard it was also very good.
  • Simon
    Simon

One thing I find sickening - those NewDayUSA loan adverts, today of all days.

They seem to specialize in promoting consolidation loans secured against people's property as some sort of "privilege" that veterans have earned the right to as though they are actually giving them something instead of taking their money. The very small print that flashes past quickly contains the reality - you'll be paying more for your loan and your home may be at risk ...

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/reverse-mortgages/newday-usa.html

• cappytan
    cappytan
    Did any of you ever see Restrepo?
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade
    haven't seen that one yet
  • cappytan
    cappytan
    Dude, if you haven't seen Restrepo, you owe it to yourself. Probably the best and grittiest war documentary from the soldier's point of view I've ever seen.
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon
    Thank you all we appreciate it, especially we who served in Viet Nam..
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

For all who have served, thank you for your service.

• shadow
    shadow
    And a big shout out to all the Germans, Japanese, Koreans, Chinese, Vietnamese, Iraqis, Native Americans, etc.! Thanks for your contributions to the glorious slaughters! Truly happifying!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit