Elders hounding members to quit their jobs due to missing too many meetings

by RULES & REGULATIONS 61 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.

The WT is a high control cult! Try and leave and see what happens!!!

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

I did fade, in fact my whole family are inactive and disassociated. It was hard at first because the elders would come into our bakery and other businesses we own but the harassment has stopped. Ever once in an while someone brings up JW stuff. But we excuse ourselves and walk away.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

A long time ago, in a world that now seems so far away .....one of our kids who was still in college pursing their doctorate (and working part time, but attending all meetings and even going in Field Circus) had the desire to get baptized and made it known to the CO. Knowing these circumstances the CO asked to have a chat with our kid. This CO was one of the new school COs and I think he had plans to create an assembly experience of how a young person gave up education to pursue spiritual goals. Basically, the chat was "you can't serve two masters -- you can't do college and baptism" and he expected our kid to bail on college to qualify for baptism. With one year to go to complete the doctorate, that was not going to happen. The word to the CO was "that resolves that..........The End isn't likely to come this year so there will be time to do both."

Thankfully there was an awakening before the matter of baptism ever came up again. I can't thank that CO enough for his "help".

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal
    Very interesting experiences everybody. I’m really shocked by some of them. What I take away from all this: a concerted effort probably starting around the time of that 1969 Awake with Baby Boomers (and continuing until now) to get young people in the JW religion to not get college/careers and to purposely pursue poverty in the full time ministry pioneering.

If a person already had a decent job or career, they were told to get rid of it and pursue poverty (like I was told to quit my job and take up housecleaning/pioneering). I refused. Some were ‘threatened’ with loss of privileges, friends (not being invited). I was pretty much ostracized but that’s okay now since I’m retired and these older hypocrites passed away. I regret I never got a chance to tell these people off.

ALL the older people in the congregation back then were collecting THEIR pensions from when THEY were in the workforce. These people went to their graves living an affluent life after they pushed poverty for everybody ELSE in the congregation (mostly young gullible people). Is there anything just about this? Does anybody see anything wrong with this picture???

It would seem only those back then who refused to follow this ridiculous and hypocritical advice (myself and some others) ended up with a Retirement today. Anybody who caved in to the religion’s requests is suffering financially today in their old age and the people who pushed poverty not even around to Help them!…So, What did the religion accomplish?? They have congregations filled with all sorts of needy people who I am Glad to be nowhere near. Congratulations.
  • Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

Longhairgal- you'll love this one! My father built machines for overseas oil production. It was his own company. The elders didn't like it and told him to sale the company and work a janitor job. My father laughed in their face. But when they need funds for projects or when the circuit overseer would be in town guess who would be at our villa with their hands out for money.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I bet that when they needed money, they told him that God was responsible for his success and it was his duty to 'honor Jehovah with his valuable things' or some similar nonsense.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS
    Anybody who caved in to the religion’s requests is suffering financially today in their old age and the people who pushed poverty not even around to Help them!…So, What did the religion accomplish?? They have congregations filled with all sorts of needy people who I am Glad to be nowhere near.

I was told by brother who is an Elder that our District Overseer Mario Beltrami was made to retire when he turned 70 years old. He lives in Florida with his wife in a small apartment.

How does he survive without any savings, pension, social security or any liquid assets? Is the Watchtower Society helping him and his wife financially in their senior years?

My brother and other Elders in his congregation send him and his wife money every month so he can pay his bills. While he served the Society for many, many years, he was kicked to the curb and only by the generosity of the Elders is he able to survive.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

RULES & REGULATIONS:

That’s very good of your brother and others to help out this former CO..I would never presume to tell somebody else not to give if they want to..However, I’m not interested.. Maybe you are still in the religion so you feel sorry.

All the JWs including circuit overseers knocked me for having my full-time job. They are responsible for people like me being ostracized in the congregation. SO, Let their ‘spiritual’ brothers help them out!! You know, the people they hobnobbed with..This religion and its policies has created too many problems for people.

You forget: If I had been so foolish as to give up my job back in the day, I would not be retired now…Do you IMAGINE for one minute that any brothers would be taking up collections for ME like they do for the former CO you mention??? Don’t make me laugh. If I was stupid enough to still be trapped in this religion, I’d be the last person alive there to get any kind of assistance from anybody. Nobody would feel sorry for me..Sorry, but my opinion on the matter is that brothers with businesses who were ‘buddies’ with types like him are going to have to help him and that’s the way it has to be. And that goes for all the other ‘needy’ types there who never worked and have their hands out.

• hoser
    hoser

Longhairgal

Wealthier elders help out retired COs for the social credits it gives them in the organization. They give because of their greed. Keeping close contact with well connected jws buys you favours like assembly parts and cushy assignments. It’s not what you know it’s who you know. It gets them and their kids ahead in the organization and that is what’s important to a lot of people.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

HOSER:

I’m sure you are correct and oftentimes help might have an angle to it. But, the fact is that it IS help - to certain people.

I suffered from a double whammy when I was in the JW religion. I wasn’t just disliked because I had a full-time job. I wouldn’t do favors for the Users there. You don’t criticize me and THEN imagine I’m gonna do favors. It doesn’t work that way.

Some people there acted like I ‘owed’ somebody something. Don’t know how else to describe it. Whether it’s just a hatred of certain types of women and I wasn’t the 1950s Stepford type wife.

Nah, make no mistake about it. It is what it is. I had no illusions about anything there. Because I was subjected to the harshest type of treatment because I was a single working woman and ostracized because they couldn’t manipulate me, that’s why I feel the way I do about how brothers with businesses are going to have to help out all those JWs who never worked. Don’t even talk to me about them.

Isn’t it ironic that now it’s MY turn to run from the Witnesses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit