Paranormal Warning

by Cold Steel 72 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

I've heard some weird stories coming from JWs about the paranormal. I know about the warnings about items that come from unbelievers -- those don't interest me as much. What I am interested in are actual experiences in stories of the paranormal you've heard or experienced yourself.

Are there any urban legends that tend to circulate primarily among JWs, or have you actually experienced any strange or inexplicable things that you would label the paranormal? For those born into the religion, do you think the Society's emphasis on the paranormal or on demons affect your religious beliefs when you were young or tended to assist the Society in exerting control on your beliefs? Do you think it made you more fearful as a child or as an adult?

• TimeBandit
    TimeBandit

I think you're about to be eaten alive here Cold Steel. The atheists are going to destroy this thread...I've experienced a LOT of things first hand, but from what I've seen discussing it here is usually a mistake.

TB-

• Ozman
    Ozman

The 'demons' were a big part of my childhood in the 60's & 70's. It seemed most jw's had experienced 'demon attacks' & my mum would say ' call out jehovah's name & they will flee'. My dad related a story of a demonic face in the corner of the room & many others related similar experiences. This stuff scared the sh*t out of me & was an influence in keeping me 'close to jehovah'. Thankfully I broke free from the concept but it has taken decades to get it out of my head. My mum has since left & apologized to me for the crap she put us through....which is amazing because she once told me she would let me die if i needed a blood transfusion. I no longer believe in spirits & my life has never been better!

• aintenoughwiskey
    aintenoughwiskey

I know of a family that had pictures swinging on the walls, dancing chairs and something crawling into bed with the mother of the house. Not crazy people, and several in the family related the story.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Do you think it made you more fearful as a child or as an adult?

Sure of course, the power of imaginative suggestion by mental indoctrination can induce or create thoughts of paranormal beings or happenings, this isn't unique with the JWS religion mind you.

People who have been mentally inundated of there actually being supernatural spirits good or evil, are obviously going to think these things, especially with sensitive impressionable children who take in what engaging adults profess or teach.

The true reality is that there isn't spirits or things paranormal, they may be unknown questionable happenings until further scientific evaluation has been explored toward these happenings.

Combine human ignorance with fear and you can inundate people with a lot emotionally derived imaginative thoughts.

• Mozzie
    Mozzie

I used o delve into black magic and all that before i was in the so called truth, saw a lot of things, heard a lot of things, the demons sure let you know they are around you when you play their games.

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to

we are considered demonic because we reject the wt claims of theocratic authority once started a conversation with an elder at a shopping centre who did not recognise me at first but when he did he mumbled satan and ran off sad even comical but true experience

• Sevan
    Sevan

Satan gets blamed for a lot that is just people doing evil things.

However, I myself have had supernatural experiences, so have countless others. I am a very sane and rational person.

There is a vast universe and probably other dimensions that we know nothing about. So to say definitively that the supernatural does not exist, I feel, takes a lot of hubris. Just because we have not discovered something or cannot scientifically prove something, does not mean it does not exist.

Love, for example, cannot be measured or proven, but it is a very real force that permeates our universe.

• Island Man
    Island Man

Paranormal = mystical paranoia resulting in the misinterpretation of normal events.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Mozzie:

Tell me, were you using any drugs at the time?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit