How many of you are health nuts?

by Harvard Illiterate 411 55 Replies latest jw friends

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Hello Harvard!

I like the old hippie ways, for the most part.

We use prescrip meds when we have to, and believe the nutritional supplements are helping us with energy levels and other problems of aging. Sticking to the middle of the road with all of it.

I do buy organic over regular groceries whenever I can. Eggs, milk, beef in particular. No longer do we have to trek into Atlanta for those kinds of foods - the local markets are carrying everything.

Marina

• brandnew
    brandnew
    Beer is natural....barley, hops, wheat, etc....🍺🍺
  • Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Yeah I eat lots of fruit, veg, fish, free range chicken and eggs, no red meat. Organic milk too because it's chemical and hormone free and usually the cows are treated well. I haven't eaten burgers, sausages, salami or pies for over ten years. I don't take any medication except an occasional headache tablet. I take a multivitamin pill every day. Only thing I take medicinally is cider vinegar in water twice a day because all the women in my family get arthritis. So far only the odd twinge. I see a doctor less than once a year.
  • baker
    baker
    As an awoken individual, who had to go to the most recent assembly, I noticed the great crowd as grossly in need of medial attention. There were quite a few publishers pushing wheel carts and many individuals were noticeably overweight. As I started to observe the overall crowd, it is becoming obvious at the number of older publishers there. Reminded me of a flight 35 years ago to Tulsa Ok, that was hosting a healing convention by Oral Roberts(aTelevangelist who heals). The plane was overloaded with handicapped people who were hoping to be healed by Oral Roberts. As a passing note, on my return flight there were just as many handicapped people leaving who I guess didn't have enuf "faith" err money to get healed.
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

BBoid Organic food just TASTES way better!!!Nature knows best - always! Natural plants have fought for their place in the world for countless generations Diversity is hugely important, why do you think they are storing natural seeds in those vast silos in Norway? Also the bees are dying out in part due to insectide use on commervcial scale http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/may/09/honeybees-dying-insecticide-harvard-study and bees are responsible for pollinating ONE THIRD of the plant foods we eat! Gm crops also have modified pollen - another reason the bees are not surviving, the modified pollen is damaging to them.

To the OP Good for you guys! I am a veggie, try to give my kids organic when I can ( we live in a city and had an allotment for a few years) and despite being a nurse I strongly agree you should avoid tablets and conventional medications includnhg antibiotics if you possibly can. Use natural remedies UNLESS you have a serious condition - depression, cancer , meningitis ec.and of course vaccinations are important but you own immujne system needs to be strong - it can only become so by fighting infections itself and being fed a wide range of healthy foods , lots of fresh air and excercise is important too! My kids complain because I am trying to give them the healthy start I never had! If organic food is a scam well its the best scam there is - let's face it my kids are never going to look back in their healthy old age and say " that organic food its damaged me for life!!"

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Organic fruits like strawberries with no removable skins are important vs. Organics like oranges. So, if grocery money is limited, one can choose which organics to buy based on that model.Cancer is rising in the world and it's not for no reason. It's chemicals. I'm not sure non GMO's are important, but I do believe foods should be labeled anyway. People should be able to see what's in their food, it is our right as consumers and Monsanto is evil.
    Advil is rather awesome and works. Otherwise I'm not a big fan of the pharmaceutical industry.
  • done4good
    done4good

Do you know the history of how lead got into gasoline?

Lead was used as a valve lubricant, (engines made for the US market before 1971 required its lubrication as they used a softer metal for valves and seats; Outside of the US market for probably another 10 years depending on country). It was also an easy way to improve a gasoline's octane, (resistance to combustion, in common use), rating. The Clean Air Act of 1970 necessitated the use of catalytic converters by 1975 in the USA to reduce carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon emissions, (catalytic converters, again were not used broadly internationally until several years later). These require unleaded fuel, as lead produces high levels of hydrocarbons when burned that will overheat a catalytic converter, so lead was phased out after that. Lead was actually not initially removed to address the health issues caused by it directly, as very little was known about the dangers of lead in 1970. Most laws requiring its removal from household items, (e.g. paint), came around by the late 1970s.

d4g

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Xanthippe Only thing I take medicinally is cider vinegar in water twice a day because all the women in my family get arthritis. So far only the odd twinge

I have rheumatoid arthritis - please tell me is cider vinegar a preventative as mine is gettingh worse all the time - it hit me really young!

• Giordano
    Giordano

My wife is really healthy teach's water acrobatics three times a week. Eats a lot of veggies and grain. Busy all day.

Between us we have thirteen and a half decades of living. We eat pretty healthy but not so much organic........ we do shop the outer row in Kroger where actual real food is sold. Greens, meat, white meat, fish etc. We have a farmers market with fresh produce but the prices can be troubling.

I find that my body needs protein more then ever even though I no longer work all day. I'm not doing much of anything now and I don't start doing that until noon.

I do exercise my brain, play competitive chess, a lot of volunteer work, write on this forum daily. Read 3 or 4 books a month. Do a lot of research on line because of this darn forum. Actually I now have a Phd in shit I didn't need to know.

My mother lived to 90 and that didn't work out too well for her. Armageddon hadn't come and it depressed her. Of course looking at the brighter side 7 billion people didn't have to die to make my Mom's happy. JW's..... can't live with them........... really can't live with them.

I do the Freddy Franz workout....... I walk up ten flights of stairs every day talking to my shoes (inside Bethel joke as Freddy did keep in shape that way but was bat shit nuts in the end).

The new walking dead.......... great healthy bodies but nothing left upstairs.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Diogenesister my mother recommended cider vinegar and all I can say is it works as a preventative and if I feel a slight ache in my hips or knees after a long walk it takes away the pain. My mother started to get arthritic pain in her spine in her forties. Her doctor said she would soon be in a wheelchair.

She started reading books about it and changed her diet to a more healthy one with lots of whole foods. She never did use a wheelchair and was riding a bike in her sixties. Her sister on the other hand had her first hip replacement at 47.

Make sure you take it in water to protect your teeth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit