My RC hearing brought forward. Will be in two weeks

by umbertoecho 72 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    I would like them to be required by law to make a public announcement that acknowledges to their members and to the general public that there is a problem within the organization and offer an apology to those who have been affected by it and an outline of what they plan to do about it.
  • smiddy
    smiddy

The ARC put a suggestion to G.J. about joining a communal ? fund to compensate the victims of the many institutions investigated by the ARC . Geoffrey Jackson was non committal about that , saying they would have to look at that. (meaning their lawyers )

Jehovah`s Witnesses have always wanted to distance themselves from Christendoms religions especially , and "worldly" organizations .

However their was an exception to that a few years ago, supporting another Christian religion in a court case ? was`nt there? , about charging for magazines ? or something ?

smiddy

• Tornintwo
    Tornintwo

Umberto, it's great to have you back I love your posts. Well done, you are so brave. There are great suggestions on here already, re background checks, mandatory reporting, etc. also no known abuser should EVER be allowed d2d or privileges.

I really don't see it as unreasonable to look at their tax exempt status considering their lack of protection for victims, but protection of the perpetrators and their disfellowshipping and shunning policies, particularly in families. We are talking about an organisation that in some cases, has ignored abuse victims and left them and other children in danger of further abuse, protected and even promoted the abuser, refused to report to the authorities, and then when the child grows up and understandably leaves the religion, subjected such child to institutional shunning even from family.

Not to mention general shunning, discouragement of higher education, disdain for non witnesses, lack of genuine charitable works etc. etc.

How can they justify charitable Status?

one more suggestion, a national database online where any householder can register their desire not to be called on by witnesses

• Zoos
    Zoos
    Pete Zahut: I would like them to be required by law to make a public announcement that acknowledges to their members and to the general public that there is a problem within the organization and offer an apology to those who have been affected by it and an outline of what they plan to do about it.

That would be the most agonizing punishment imaginable for the GB. They would rather bankrupt the entire corporation than be diminished into making a public apology for their ineptitude.

Go get 'em, UMBER! We look forward to your report when you return.

• Splash
    Splash

Some congregations have formal arrangements and rota's to pick up the car-less, elderly, infirm, or disabled (physically and mentally) for meetings.
    Those that are asked to help with lifts should be police checked, since they may be alone with children (ie if parents can't make the meeting but pack the kids off) and vulnerable adults on a regular basis.

If there's a known pedo in the congregation they should be fully banned from the field ministry, any privileges and all platform items, since the elders useless 'monitoring' is not regulated, coordinated or even sustained, and a determined offender will always find ways to work around it.

When an offender moves to a new hall there should be some alert for the families there, and not just the families of the elders who would know and can protect themselves.

When an allegation of abuse is made it should be the police who investigate, not a retired florist, a seasonal potato picker and a part time sales assistant, none of whom were allowed any meaningful education. During that investigation the accused should not be permitted to go on field service.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Well done UMBERTOECHO, your courage and determination is a great example to others.

The only thing I can add which really needs to be exposed, are the Org's recent claims in different courtrooms that their elders have a right to claim clergy-penitent confidentiality. (C.P.C.) This is perjury and fraudulent, because as every J.W. knows,

a) there is no "confession" arrangement as with Catholicism,

b) the alleged C.P.C. is anything but confidential, because

c) any elder hearing of a person's wrongdoing will immediately inform other elders of the offence, resulting in 3 elders being appointed as the wrongdoer's judge & jury via a Judicial Committee.

Sincere best wishes for your objectives.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Umberto,

Thanks for your thread, and asking for suggestions I have two issues that are close to my heart I would like you to bring up.

1) The mishandling of domestic violence. As with the cases of child abuse JWs are discouraged and even DF'd for exposing DV and telling the police. All JWs should be instructed to go directly to the police.

2) Child baptisms should be prohibited. This is a hard one, but it's very dangerous in WT if children under 18 yrs make the commitment to WT. I am really against this and find it very manipulative.

Umberto, good luck with the RC, I am sorry you had to go through so much as a child but I am encouraged by your bravery and willingness to help in this way.

Thank you

Kate xx

• Splash
    Splash

If any elder is found guilty of child abuse, every DF'd person they were on a JC for should be instantly reinstated.

There should be a compensation scheme for abused persons, separate from the worldwide work fund. Then, as a charity, the income and outgoings of this fund, plus all other figures should be made public each year.

To make an improvement, the WT needs to monitor and transparently report all pedofile activity. The WT should use it's own website to declare it's pedofile criminal case results, both those won and lost.

• Splash
    Splash
    c) any elder hearing of a person's wrongdoing will immediately inform other elders of the offence, resulting in 3 elders being appointed

In fact it is often worse than this.

Someone confesses to an elder. That elder has to tell the COBE. The COBE will assign three elders for a JC. That's potentially 5 persons right there. Then the Branch has to be informed, and likely the CO. If the local BoE does not have suitably qualified men, or there is a conflict of interest (family, business ties etc) then another BoE may be asked to conduct the JC.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Well done Umby! Stay strong, keep your dignity and poise throughout all the ordeals...

In addition to others comments,I would stress that the whole "judicial committee" process be strictly analysed and questioned.

The manner of "closed door secret" meetings, with a biased and all male committee is SO INAPPROPIRATE for these issues.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit