Work Christmas functions: Being a Bible Student (unbaptized)

by rulehayl 78 Replies latest jw friends

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

rulehayl

I feel as if you've already made your mind up to be a JW and I personally, would never try and persuade anyone not to be one. It's your decision.

But please think carefully. This is a life long commitment and every bit of your life will be governed by it. Every single bit. These people of this forum? They've been there, they know what they re talking about. Please listen to them.

As for birthdays. When you have a child it's the most special day of your life and it's awful being told you cannot acknowledge that day. I knew JWs who secretly celebrated their children's birthdays because how can you not be happy and joyous on the day your child came into the world? And I know others who go along with it but don't understand why they can't remember their kids birthdays. Even my mother, a staunch JW if ever there was one, sent me a card on my birthday.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Oi. Ruley. You still there?

• deegee
    deegee
    value the family unit.......she has already stated she wont be attending her brothers birthday party ~ jookbeard

I wonder if there is something going on in rulehayl's family life which is causing him/her not to see the importance of valuing his/her family members and seeing the importance of the family as a support system?

Poor family life is one of the factors which makes people susceptible to the utopian promises of cults.

• rulehayl
    rulehayl
    Update: Boss and I had a big discussion the other day. She accepts my religious beliefs - even though she may not agree with them - but is willing to back me 100% if that is what I want. So going forward she will not include me in any planning for team birthdays / christmas / easter functions.

In response to my family life - or what some have hinted as a "lack of" - that is none of your business and I will not disclose what led me to finding the JWs and studying with them. Just because most people on this site have had crap experiences, doesn't mean mine will be too. It may - it may not.

Anyways that's all I have to say on the matter.
  • Onager
    Onager

Rulehayl allow me to be the first to welcome you to the first day of the rest of your miserable life.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Rulehayl, I'm very sorry that you have decided to ditch reason in favour of descending into the grip of a religious cult.

A couple of years down the line you will realize that you were actually warned off JWs and you will remember that you ignored the warnings.

You cannot leave the JW org without punishment!

Nevertheless I hope you find a happy life.

• deegee
    deegee

RuleHayl,

Just curious, what about the JWs attracted you to them?

Why have you decided to join the JWs instead of any other religion?

• deegee
    deegee

RuleHayl continuing,

What do you hope to achieve by becoming a JW?

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Why did you come here for advice?

• rulehayl
    rulehayl
    Just curious, what about the JWs attracted you to them?

I like the structure of their meetings. I liked that for me personally, they had an answer for nearly everything - and they are not like Catholicism which I was brought up in.

I came here for advice because I thought there would be active JWs - guess I was wrong.

I don't hope to "achieve" anything by being a JW. Didn't know you need a goal to be a part of a religion. I have actually religion-shopped through other forms of Christianity, but they don't do it for me. The only other people to come close are the Mormons.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit