Simple Question Re 1914

by Slidin Fast 540 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    It seems poor 'scholar' is befuddled by all the facts that weigh up against his (Watch Tower's) flawed views.

'scholar':

Jeffro

Zedekiah has nothing to do with the Gentile Times

--

False, Zedekiah as the last King of the Divided Monarchy plays a most pivotal role in the major fulfilment of Nebuchadnezzar's tree vision as this relates to God's Kingdom/Kingship as expressed through the rulers of the House of David sitting on the throne at the city of Jerusalem trampled on and removed by Nebuchadnezzer in 607 BCE covering a period of 'seven times' being fulfilled in 1914 CE.

Here, he has misattributed Rattigan350's comment to me. 🤦‍♂️

'scholar':

Where a book is not listed above for a particular combination, the author does not specify any years of reign for that kingdom. For example, Isaiah does not specify any years of reign for a king of Israel.

--

That is a problem for you and not for me as our scheme of chronology works by filling out the contours of history and prophecy.

The fact that some Bible writers don't refer to particular kingdoms isn't a 'problem' at all. I simply clarified why some books weren't mentioned in the list I provided. 🙄
  • Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

This post is addressed to those who believe in the Bible, including believing that the
    biblical book called "Daniel" was written by a prophet named Daniel in the 6th century BCE. It is not directed to my fellow atheists, though some of them might appreciate the post.

The OXFORD STUDY BIBLE: Revised English Bible with the Apocrypha (copyright 1992) and The New English Bible with the Apocrypha: Oxford Study Edition (copyright 1976) in their introduction to "The Book Of Daniel" say the following (except that the Oxford Study Edition says "B.C." instead of "B.C.E.").

"The reports about Daniel in this book may contain elements about an older figure, or figures, with the same name .... in chs. 7-12 the author builds on elements from the Book of the Prophet Ezekiel to fashion the most fully developed example of apocalyptic literature in the Old Testament ....

The stories and visions are set in the Babylonian and Persian periods (sixth-fourth centuries B.C.E.), but they reflect a later time, primarily that of successors to Alexander the Great. Antiochus IV Epiphanes (175-163 B.C.E) and his wars with the Egyptians (see 7.8 n.) are especially in view. In chs. 7-12, Antiochus though anonymous as befits apocalyptic literature, emerges in more and more detail as the oppressor of the Jews."

Both study Bibles say the following regarding Daniel 2:37-40.

"The four kingdoms are usually taken to be the Babylonian, the Median, the Persian, and the Macedonian Greek; compare 8.20-21. There is no confirming evidence for the opinion (9.1), found in Jer. 51.11,28 as well, that the Medes existed as a world power quite separate from the Persians."

Regarding Daniel 4:33 the annotation/commentary in the two study Bible editions say the following. "A temporary lapse in the reign of Nebuchadnezzar is unknown, but does fit the last Babylonian king, Nabonidus, who (inexplicably) spent part of his reign at the north Arabian oasis of Talma."

The above is further evidence that the book called "Book of Daniel" (or simply named "Daniel") was written in about the year 164 B.C.E. The above is also further evidence that the 'Book of Daniel" has at least one incorrect view about the period prior to 164 B.C.E. (such as regarding the Medes), and some incorrect predictions of what was to happen soon after the year 164 B.C.E. (such as the establishment of God's kingdom over the whole planet Earth and hence the end of all gentile governments).

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

Here, he has misattributed Rattigan350's comment to me. 🤦‍♂️

--

Poor Jeffro. I was simply responding to your posted 'stand alone' comment

---

The fact that some Bible writers don't refer to particular kingdoms isn't a 'problem' at all. I simply clarified why some books weren't mentioned in the list I provided. 🙄

--

It is pleasing that you recognize some facts in the Bible so just stick to what the Bible actually says

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

Disillusioned JW

The stories and visions are set in the Babylonian and Persian periods (sixth-fourth centuries B.C.E.), but they reflect a later time, primarily that of successors to Alexander the Great. Antiochus IV Epiphanes (175-163 B.C.E) and his wars with the Egyptians (see 7.8 n.) are especially in view. In chs. 7-12, Antiochus though anonymous as befits apocalyptic literature, emerges in more and more detail as the oppressor of the Jews."

--

This mere opinion for you notice that no firm evidence is provided for this nonsense.

--

The above is further evidence that the book called "Book of Daniel" (or simply named "Daniel") was written in about the year 164 B.C.E. The above is also further evidence that the 'Book of Daniel" has at least one incorrect view about the period prior to 164 B.C.E. (such as regarding the Medes), and some incorrect predictions of what was to happen soon after the year 164 B.C.E. (such as the establishment of God's kingdom over the whole planet Earth and hence the end of all gentile governments).

--

Utter nonsense for again this observation is simply an opinion or an interpretation of certain chapters in the book of daniel. Common sense would indicate that if the book is of a 6th-century setting then that is most likely it is also its date of composition proven by the many date stamps throughout the book like a 'book-end'.

scholar JW

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

‘scholar’:

Poor Jeffro. I was simply responding to your posted 'stand alone' comment

Haha. I suspected it was due to your poor comprehension skills. My response starting with “Notice how the apologists…” was obviously responding to both quoted statements, and there was no “‘stand alone’ comment”.. 😂

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

Haha. I suspected it was due to your poor comprehension skills. My response starting with “Notice how the apologists…” was obviously responding to both quoted statements, and there was no “‘stand alone’ comment”.. 😂

--

You posted Rattigan350' comment as a 'stand alone' comment to which the said scholar responded forthwith.

When you refer to my poor comprehension skills then perhaps you apply the same to your understanding of the History of Israel especially in dealing with Chronology!! Ha hah ha!

scholar JW

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

🤦‍♂️

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

You talk about my poor comprehension skills then let me put this simple proposition to you:

If we agree that the Jews returned home by means of Cyrus' Decree in 537 /538/536 BCE

That there was an Exile of 70 years or a period of servitude at/to/for Babylon as stated by Jeremiah, Daniel. Ezra

Then we count back 70 years we get to either 607 BCE etc

One does not get to 587 BCE etc

Please explain simply and not by convolution!

Would you like another test of comprehension regarding the length of the siege of Jerusalem?

scholar JW

• Jeffro
  • scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

The Bible never mentions an exile of 70 years.

---

So when reads the OT especially Jeremiah, Daniel. Lamentations, Ezra, 2 Chronicles.one reads no mention of an Exile and no mention of the 'seventy years of Jeremiah'?

--

Honest readers should just read the Bible than subtle attempts such as Jeffro's fabrications to obscure the historical and theological reality of the Jewish Exile of 70 years under Babylonian Servitude or Domination known by scholars as the Babylonian Captivity a period from the Fall of Jerusalem until the Return.

Further, when the Bible writers refer to 'Exile' what then is this period and how long is it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit