Simple Question Re 1914

by Slidin Fast 540 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• btlc
    btlc

Yep, 2nd horse, fiery-colored, came out few months before 1st horse, a white one. It makes perfect sense...

• scholar
    scholar

ozziepost

I’m thinking we should be seeing some familiar faces joining our thread pretty soon. 😉

----

Are you referring to the mighty scholar?

scholar JW

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

There are at least 10 assumptions that have to be made before arriving at 1914.

The first is that Daniel 4 has a secondary fulfillment.

We probably all know the other nine so I won't carry on here except to say that with each additional assumption the likelihood of the events the Watchtower associates with 1914 become increasingly questionable.

• scholar
    scholar

Vanderhoven

The first is that Daniel 4 has a secondary fulfillment.

---

Absolutely that Daniel 4 of the tree dream had a double fulfilment as proved by the use of the word 'times' and that the theme of 'God's Kingdom is emphasized in that same chapter and the entire book of Daniel as well as the OG version of Dan.4.

scholar JW

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

scholar8 hours agoozziepost
    I’m thinking we should be seeing some familiar faces joining our thread pretty soon. 😉
    ----
    Are you referring to the mighty scholar?
    scholar JW

Of course ! Owyergoin ? 🙂

Ozzie 🍷

• NonCoinCollector
    NonCoinCollector
    what all these bible readers miss is, that Jesus was already in his kingdom in the first century. Colossians 1:13, an colossal oversight.

Then I the question becomes, does Jesus rule for 1000 years or does he rule for eternity? According to Watchtower, he rules for 1000 years and then hands the kingdom back over to Jehovah. According to just about all other Christians, Jesus simply is God and King.

Personally I don't take much of the bible literally, so the 1000 years could be a metaphor that does not translate in modern language.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I have wondered if the Wt had ever actually said that WW1 was caused by Satan’s being ousted from heaven or whether Witnesses had simply read that into the ambiguous writing of the WT?

Looking today I find :-

WT 79 2/15 p13

Barry Renfrew of the “Associated Press” adds: “War has never been easy to explain and World War I is perhaps the hardest of all. Beneath the dry accounts of rivalries and alliances which historians use to explain the war, there lies a sense of something far greater, a sense of restlessness troubling the world.” Renfrew then notes that an assassination “inspired a world which had hardly heard of the murdered prince to go to war over his death without knowing why.”

But Christians do know why. Through their Bible-based insight, they know that World War I was timed with the birth of God’s kingdom in the heavens, which was to result in “woe for the earth.” Why? “Because the Devil has come down to you, having great anger, knowing he has a short period of time.”​—Rev. 12:9-12; compare Matthew 24:3, 7, 8.”

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    they know that World War I was timed with the birth of God’s kingdom in the heavens,

Perhaps we need that “clarified” ! 😉😎

Will we hear ?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Scholar

I see no evidence let alone proof that Daniel 4 has a secondary fulfillment. I see only speculation. If it is not stated, it is merely assumed.

Can you quote a nonJW "scholar" who supports this WTS claim?

Why do you think Jesus couldn't predict 1914 based on Daniel 4?

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Renfrew then notes that an assassination “inspired a world which had hardly heard of the murdered prince to go to war over his death without knowing why.”

Perhaps he should have asked an historian about the issues in Europe and Russia at that point in time? I guess it wasn't as easy to check this stuff in 1979, but today you can Google "causes of WW1" and there is no shortage of explanations for what led to the conflict. I doubt you'll find many references to "the birth of god's kingdom in the heavens."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit