Why the NFL Protest Is a Massive and Insulting Failure

by freemindfade 117 Replies latest social current

• sir82
    sir82

Protests are designed to draw attention to an issue.

By that metric, it is a tremendous success.

If King Cheeto would just shut up about it, it would fade away after a few weeks. 5 straight days of "presidential" bug-eyed spastic tweeting has pretty much ensured that it will go on for the rest of the season.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

If their workplace forbade their actions, then make them stop. If not, and their very bosses sympathize... well, have at it. If I was called an S.O.B for having an opinion by the Criminal in Chief, I would kneel too. What a prick. He's appealing to his beer drinking, hot dog eating, N.A.S.C.A.R worshiping cro-magnon followers. Dipshit Trump seems to agree with Putin on this too, no freedom of speech allowed.

• just fine
    just fine

To me it's not about free speech, it's about disrespecting our flag. A flag many people died defending so that we have the freedom we have, including the right to protest.

Isn't there a better way than this to bring light to this supposed problem?

• cofty
    cofty

Nothing but virtue signalling by some of the most privileged black men in the USA.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

I found it interesting one sponsor that dropped a player. Brandon Marshall. Also, i thought their response was good.

Although we have enjoyed Brandon Marshall as our spokesperson over the past five months, Air Academy Federal Credit Union (AAFCU) has ended our partnership. AAFCU is a membership-based organization who has proudly served the military community for over 60 years. While we respect Brandon’s right of expression, his actions are not a representation of our organization and membership. We wish Brandon well on his future endeavors.
    Glenn Strebe
    President/CEO
    Air Academy Federal Credit Union

I think that sums it up, no one minds your personal protests, but you are in a f-cking business! You can't think you are so above shitting on your own fans and customers in this way that it won't have a negative effect. Forget the big sponsors like Nike and Ford, think about the local stations spread out across the country, a 10% or more decline in sponsorship can have a massive ripple effect.

Also, I agree Trump stepping in and stirring the pot seems to be a distraction. Sometimes I think he plays people's (mainly the media's) tendency to mindless outrage over anything to his advantage, to create a diversion. and inevitably they can't resist the bait. Sheep

• Simon
    Simon

I agree with the comments so far - I fail to see how showing disrespect for the flag and anthem is at all a protest at whatever the current explanation is

Is it police brutality today or is it protesting history in general in which case ... FFS, what do you think is going to happen? Dr Who will go back in time and make everything right?

Most people see the moment as respecting the country and particularly those who serve in the military.

The problem with the "protesting killing of black men by police" is that it's a false narrative based on extremely selective media stories and hype. So how can that ever be fixed? As it is, it's just divisive and intentionally disrespectful and insulting to many people.

They are also idiots and playing straight into Trumps hands - the left and the media can't help but fixate on anything he does or says and immediately object, whatever it is, without thinking through the implications or the end-game.

Kneelers: exactly what is it that you want to see change?

Vague notions of "make society better" aren't achievable without specific goals.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Protests are designed to draw attention to an issue.
    By that metric, it is a tremendous success.

Which issue? Police brutality? Social Injustice? Racism? Trump? People who think the protest itself is in bad taste? Or some other flavor of the week?

By your metric, it's actually a failure because it's totally unclear.

• Simon
    Simon

There's also picking sides here: the NHL wouldn't allow players to wear anything to honour the policemen ambushed and shot while protecting a BLM march but allow players to prance around for BLM protests and have politicized half-time shows, again, all based on lies and stoking disrespect for law and order and the police in particular. They even stopped them being allowed to honor the victims of 9/11, incredible.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/21473/flashback-nfl-banned-teams-honoring-murdered-cops-ryan-saavedra

The NHL were pandering to what they thought was popularity, but it's not necessarily what their fans want to see. And yes, they have no morality because they allow wife-beaters and other crimes to only be punished with slapped wrists.

Kind of idiotic - the NHL will continue to slide in the ratings and people will watch other sports instead. They already have a major problem with liability for a sport that has a clear link to causing brain injuries. MLS is looking pretty good right now.

• hothabanero
    hothabanero

This is pussy hats all over again: A protest for the sake of protesting, with no goal, naturally carried out by the most over-priveledged group in the country and based on a false narrative about "racism" and "police brutality".

Liberals have an uncanny ability to always find the LEAST worthy subject to protest! It is amazing...

• sir82
    sir82

I dunno, seems pretty clear to me.

For example:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2017/09/25/why-nfl-players-protest-national-anthem/700004001/

Kaepernick stated many times that his reasons for kneeling was to bring attention to police brutality against African-Americans.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit