need to "stay alive to xx75" to prove wt wrong? again?

by prologos 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• prologos
    prologos
    Listener you said: "it now becomes obvious that they are only talking about 'this generation' indicating a time during the GT, not Armageddon itself

Listener, thank you! that is why I started the 'one question topic' " is Armageddon in the "all things of Math 24,"??

Not only is the flood-like Armageddon, but even the entry of the righteous sheep included in the all things that Jesus discussed. At one point wt had the anointed survive Armageddon, and supervising paradise construction, walking the new earth, that can't be if they fight in the heavens and are in the marriage of the lamb) bible not well proofread.

"-the GT could last for decades (or even Centuries).

not a new idea, some have proposed that the Great Tribulation is all the old world troubles that Christians are in throughout time. so:

perhaps wt thought by going with "anointed" generation, they would make it appear shorter, but they have actually made it potentially longer, even impossible. the generation is not anointed only, it is composite,

• prologos
    prologos
    Sparky1 you said: "it does no good to fight Watchtower error with our own contrived errors

I kind of object to such statements, for it implies you are in possession of a deeper absolute standard (istania) on the subject, and really all these doctrinal constructs starting from the talking snake story are just that, flawed stories. I am just trying to point out internal inconsistencies, in novel, catchy terms like the Kennedyesque:

" The anointed generation is wrong, not because it seems so long, but because it is too short.-

-ending short of Armageddon, and not going to paradise. or:

now's no need to "stay alive to 2075 " to prove wt wrong"-again

where would be the error here?, except in the story itself? fighting errors in an erroneous story. hopefully such catchy phrases schtick, and catch on.

• fukitol
  • fukitol
  • sparky1
    sparky1

"It does no good to fight Watchtower error with our own contrived errors." - Sparky1

"I kind of object to such statements, for it implies that you are in possession of a deeper absolute standard (istania) on the subject"- prologos

Actually, I never made any such implication that I personally am in 'possession' of any such absolute standard. In describing our different viewpoints (which could possibly be in error), I used the pronoun 'we' and the adjective 'our', which would include both of us and did not single you out as an individual. It's kind of fun being an 'arm chair theologian' because there are a multitude of opinions based on a book (the Bible) which is nothing but 'metaphor' or as you rightly pointed out, 'flawed stories'. You, me and the Watchtower 'brain trust' can't all be correct in our personal interpretation of Jesus words on the 'time of the end', but we could all be wrong.

• TD
    TD

As an ancillary observation (Not sure if this helps or hurts anyone) the Jesus character in the Bible used the intensive negative (ου μη -literally, "not,not") which the NWT accurately translates as, "..by no means pass away"

JW's seem to invert this expression into its exact opposite, "..not entirely pass away" (The thought being that the prophecy would hold true if even one of the "generation" is left standing, which is not at all what the Jesus character actually said.)

Of course this is just "armchair theology" but if JW's aren't willing to interpret the prophecy in the spirit with which their own translation renders it, one wonders about the traction of any argument.

• prologos
    prologos

TD, good find. last night I was looking at the greek text too, and it appears that the word "occur" in verse 34 has the same root as "generation", so, It seems natural then, that wt (and as sparky1 mentioned) we here too, can "generate", or have occurr to us, various definitions of the generation.

if even one of the "generation" is left standing, which is not at all what the Jesus character actually said.)

TD: yes, your idea is supported by the context, in verse 37 referring to the near mass extinction, triage of all those present during the flood. on the broader theme:

wt illustrations like the KR book, page 225 shows their "anointed generation" lasting until the battle of Armageddon, so the time line includes more than just the sign, but all what the Jesus character mentions after verse 34, with that emphasised negative. Amazingly his speech concludes, the last word, with zoen aionion , life everlasting, emphasising the "no, not passing" for the generation, which, according to chapter 25 would be the Sheep, rather than the anointed "brothers of Christ" exclusively.

The generation does not pass after the sign, it does not even pass after Armageddon, it can not possibly the wt shortened anointed generation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit